Early January in Ireland and London

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3rd, 2023, 07:55 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bound by time between semesters, we're looking at a visit to Dublin and London over a 10 day period 4-14 January. I've been to Ireland a couple times in the remote past and we've both been to London many times, but this is the first time our European travel will be affected by DH's mobility problems. He uses a walker, stamina is limited, stairs are nearly impossible; hiking and walking tours are just off the table. Yes, it may not be the best weather of the year but it's when we can get away. Plans in pencil are to arrive Dublin, return from London, but we could reverse that order if needed. Any insights/suggestions/warnings for would be greatly appreciated. Particularly interested in resources for hiring a private driver for day tours in Ireland.
Old Nov 3rd, 2023, 08:08 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
London > Dublin or Dublin > London mostly don't matter all that much. But I'd probably opt for London first for a couple of reasons.

1) - You are more familiar with the city so acclimating after jet lag and such might be easier.

2) - Departure fees for long haul passengers leaving from LHR are high.

3) - US Immigration and Customs are handled at DUB so you'd essentially arrive back in the States on a domestic flight with no border formalities
Old Nov 5th, 2023, 12:44 PM

Seamus, what are you interested in seeing/doing while in Dublin? I’m asking because DH and I are working on a similar trip albeit in April. In putting the trip together we realized that most of what we wanted to see was outside of Dublin and we are better off starting closer to what we really wanted to see and do.

Don’t know if any of this will be helpful, but after several iterations this is what we have come up with so far:

We fly into Heathrow and will spend 3 nights in Windsor at Fairmont Windsor Park. (Originally planned to go into London, but decided to change it up and explore Windsor).

We then fly to Cork where will be met by private driver. Am looking at Easy Transfer Ireland for all of our transfers/touring. Haven’t used them yet so can’t vouch for them. We go strait to Sheen Falls Lodge in Kenmare. It’s so beautiful there we can do as much or as little as we want and plan to spend our time at the property. DH Will do a half day flyfishing trip (from a boat) and I’m doing a photography excursion.

Next we transfer to Adare Manor for 2 nights by way of Killarney with stops along the way.

Our last transfer with the car and driver is to Ashford Castle for 3 nights with stops at Bunratty Castle, the Cliffs of Mohr, Doolin and the Burren. At Ashford Castle DH has another fly fishing trip and we will do the Hawk Walk.

From there we will take a taxi (or other transfer) to Galway to catch the train to Dublin where we will stay at the Westin at Stephen’s Green for 2 nights. Won’t have time to do a lot, but will definitely go to Trinity College to see the Long Room.

Still lots of details to fill in. We fly back from Dublin. As Janisj mentioned the fees are lower and preclearing customs and border control will make our connection time in Chicago much smoother.
Old Nov 5th, 2023, 04:48 PM
Original Poster

That's a nice itinerary, ta3153, but DH's mobility limitations pretty much rule out any sort of walks/hikes. I've been around the whole island (save Northern Ireland) but DH is less into the pastoral glory and more keen on academic/cultural things. Trinity, Book of Kells is a given; he does not yet understand that whisky is an essential part of Irish culture so we'll have to visit the Jameson distillery in Dublin to rectify that deficit! I'd like for him to visit Cobh and see the immigration exhibition, wondering if we might be able to do that as a day trip from Dublin. Also think he'd enjoy a stop by Newgrange, even if it is no longer permitted to actually enter. I'll check out Easy Transfer as a possible option for a driver, thanks for that. He also is compiling a list of places to eat.

London is a favorite destination, we've been multiple times, have done just about all the "must" touristic sights. Definitely on our to do list is stops by Boots and M&S for some staples! He has some professional contacts at LSE so that may well lead to a meal or two. May even be able to connect with some London Fodorites while we are there!
Old Nov 6th, 2023, 03:19 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I'm trying to think what I would do given that January has short days and will be wet or wet and cold. London has far more to do indoors where it is dry and London is the driest part of the British Isles, so I would lean to staying around there more.

I might suggest taking the Dart to Howth and stay at the Kings Sitric. If you are going to be wet and cold you might as well find a lovely warm place with lots of booze.

Belfast is a pretty good visit, so you could take the train north.

I'm now going to be pedantic just to save you from all the other pedants

Whisky is Scots
The Irish drink mainly Whiskey
Old Nov 6th, 2023, 05:29 PM
Original Poster

janisj - makes sense. have edited to arrive London first, then on to Dublin. Will require 2 connections but schedule is not horrible and ability to pre-clear immigration at DUB is great.
bilbo- embarrassed to have misspelled usquebaugh. Thanks for the pedant protenction! Cold/wet/dark are not unknown to us, and think we have the requisite protective gear to cope.

Have a half day Stonehenge tour on hold, wouldn't mind doing Bath and/or Windsor same day but not sure DH has the stamina.
In Dublin have a reservation for a Newgrange and Boyne Valley tour. DH has a list of places to eat in and around Dublin.
Old Nov 6th, 2023, 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by Seamus
. . . Have a half day Stonehenge tour on hold, wouldn't mind doing Bath and/or Windsor same day but not sure DH has the stamina. In Dublin have a reservation for a Newgrange and Boyne Valley tour. DH has a list of places to eat in and around Dublin.
In your situation I would definitely NOT try to squeeze in Windsor or Bath on the Stonehenge day. The tours that include Windsor and or Bath (most include both) are very long, VERY tiring and provide very little time in each destination. A half day tour to just Stonehenge might be easier for DH.

What I would do if you wanted to see Windsor is take the train and do it independently. If you take the train from Waterloo to Windsor & Eton Riverside it is direct. The trains from Paddington have a change at Slough, though it does go to Central Windsor -- so pros and cons for each. In either case it is an easy train ride and you can spend as little or as much time as you want and wouldn't be tied to the pace of a commercial tour. Lots of nice pubs and cafes where you can sit and relax.
Old Nov 6th, 2023, 10:25 PM

Originally Posted by janisj

What I would do if you wanted to see Windsor is take the train and do it independently. If you take the train from Waterloo to Windsor & Eton Riverside it is direct. The trains from Paddington have a change at Slough, though it does go to Central Windsor -- so pros and cons for each. In either case it is an easy train ride and you can spend as little or as much time as you want and wouldn't be tied to the pace of a commercial tour. Lots of nice pubs and cafes where you can sit and relax.
We did exactly this yesterday ~ I prefer the W&E Riverside station as it is steps away from the Guildhall and the bridge to Eton. We hadn’t planned to, but stopped into the Barbour shop and found a few smaller items. Didn’t feel the need to see the castle again, so after a pint at an Eton pub, took the train back to London. Lovely, easy afternoon!
Old Nov 7th, 2023, 08:11 PM
Original Poster

janisj - DH decided on Stonehenge, Windsor and Oxford. There's a good bit of transit between sites so he can relax on the bus. Trains are not easy for him, so we would not do a self tour to Windsor, though the castle itself has extensive adaptations for mobility access. The biggest challenge will be the walk up to the entrance.

Now dickering with the hotel which is saying it does not have the accessibility features that it lists/shows on its website. Grrrr...
Old Nov 8th, 2023, 03:23 PM
P_M

Hi Seamus. I've heard the volcanoes in Iceland are firing up again. I hope this doesn't cause you another extended vacation in the UK.
Old Nov 8th, 2023, 06:19 PM
Original Poster

P_M from your keyboard to god's ear!
Old Nov 8th, 2023, 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by Seamus
janisj - DH decided on Stonehenge, Windsor and Oxford. There's a good bit of transit between sites so he can relax on the bus. Trains are not easy for him, so we would not do a self tour to Windsor, though the castle itself has extensive adaptations for mobility access. The biggest challenge will be the walk up to the entrance.

Now dickering with the hotel which is saying it does not have the accessibility features that it lists/shows on its website. Grrrr...

I know you say your DH has decided on the Stonehenge/Oxford/Windsor tour -- but I'd still reconsider. The only part of the tour that would be easy for him would be Stonehenge. There are trams from the visitors centre to the stones.

Windsor will be tougher -- yes, there are small lifts to get into the State Apartments and wheel chairs available to borrow. But besides the hill to get to the entrance, the place is enormous, the walk from the upper ward down to St Georges Chapel isn't level, and then the walk from the lower precinct to the coach park is pretty far. There IS a coach pick up spot nearer the castle but ONLY disabled passengers can use it (the city is very strict about this) and eveyone else on the tour would have to hoof it to the coach park over in the Arches.

But the biggest problem could be Oxford -- it will be entirely a walking tour (I assume the coach will park remotely and use one of three short term drop off bays - probably in St Giles or St Aldates)

All that walking and a 10 or 11 hour day -- would be tough even for someone without mobility limitations.
Old Nov 9th, 2023, 04:39 AM

Think of the January sales at the time you will be in London. Department stores will be crowded, but there are some great bargains. Sit your husband down at one of the cafes in (eg) Harrods, and do some shopping. 😀🛍️