Search

Trip to Egypt next month

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13th, 2023, 01:52 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trip to Egypt next month

I'm trying to gather opinions on whether I should cancel my trip to Egypt next month amid all the chaos going on in Israel right now? What're your thoughts? I appreciate it.
Old Oct 13th, 2023, 02:02 PM

Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts
I’d be inclined to go unless further events dictate otherwise. One of my early trips to Morocco was planned for shortly after 9/11 and having been there before I felt it wasn’t a reason to cancel. I had a wonderful time, made more wonderful by the outpouring of gratitude from people every day, stopping me to thank me for being there. Morocco, like Egypt, is very dependent on tourism, it had all but dried up in the aftermath & I was so glad to be there, for me and for them.

Old Oct 13th, 2023, 02:48 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MmePerdu
I’d be inclined to go unless further events dictate otherwise. One of my early trips to Morocco was planned for shortly after 9/11 and having been there before I felt it wasn’t a reason to cancel. I had a wonderful time, made more wonderful by the outpouring of gratitude from people every day, stopping me to thank me for being there. Morocco, like Egypt, is very dependent on tourism, it had all but dried up in the aftermath & I was so glad to be there, for me and for them.

Thanks 🙏
Old Oct 14th, 2023, 04:57 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It should be clear in the next couple of weeks whether the conflict is going to spread. However, I'd stay away from the east - stick to Alexandria, Cairo and the Nile, and exercise some caution in the cities.

I was crossing the border from China to Pakistan the day of 9/11, and although my time in Pakistan was cut short, the rest of my trip, which included Bhutan and India, went ahead.
Old Oct 14th, 2023, 05:49 AM

At this stage no one, not even the Israeli government or Hamas know how much or how far this war will escalate. Certainly no one on a travel website will know. I don't think there are many similarities with 9/11 they are entirely different scenarios. Only you can make that decision. Already we are seeing massive pro Palestinian demos here in central London and I really would not want to be caught up in something similar in any Egyptian city. Already two Israeli tourists were murdered this week in Alexandria (allegedly by an Egyptian policeman). https://www.reuters.com/world/middle...es-2023-10-08/

The mass "evacuation" of Palestinians form Gaza has already started, there have been a number of events already along the Lebanon border increasing the probability that Hizbollah may get involved which would be a disaster for all concerned, possibly escalating into a regional war very quickly. All you can do is wait and see, hope for the best but plan for the worst.
Old Oct 14th, 2023, 06:24 AM

I agree with crellston. This is nothing like 911. This is an all out war.
As stated, who knows how long this will last, but I personally would not go to that area of the world in the next couple months.
Old Oct 14th, 2023, 06:25 AM

I agree with crellston. Personally, I would not want to travel in this region right now. I’ve been following the news and travel reports from the region and it just feels too volatile right now. Underlying tensions could erupt - lots of demonstrations going on that could be uncomfortable at best and potentially dangerous. It’s a sad and very scary time and I wouldn’t risk going now or in the near future.

This is very different from 9/11 - that tragedy occurred on US soil and those countries suffered because of the broad brush that was painted associating radical terrorists with all Arab countries - please note, I’m not blaming these countries for 9/11! The current tragic situation is occurring in the region and we have no idea what will unfold in the coming weeks or months.

That being said, I do agree with MmePerdu regarding the warmth of the Egyptian people and the appreciation they will likely feel toward tourists who do visit at this time as many people are canceling trips. Egypt does have strong security - but, as we know, strong security is no guarantee that there won’t be some kind of outburst. And right now, the centers of sightseeing such as Luxor and Aswan seem calm. And “seeming” calm is no guarantee that it will remain so - note the terrible incident in Alexandria that crellston mentioned.

It comes down to how much you feel comfortable with risk and visiting a country in an acfive turmoil. For me, this would not be a time to visit though it is possible that the experience would be a good one, too.

Old Oct 15th, 2023, 02:32 PM

If it was me I would not hesitate to cancel the trip. The situation is much too volatile now. There is far more to consider than the hospitality of the Egyptian people.

As Crellston has noted the situation could spill over with an escalation of aggression from Hezbollah.

Even though the US and Egypt have an agreement in place to allow US citizens in Gaza to enter Egypt Hamas is standing the way if this.

Its best to wait.

JM2C

Larry
Old Oct 16th, 2023, 02:54 AM

Do you have to decide now? A month is a long time in the Middle East, and I'd wait a couple weeks to see how things stand. I agree with thursdaysd.
Old Oct 16th, 2023, 07:37 AM

No way we would go near the Middle East -- reschedule!
Old Oct 16th, 2023, 11:55 AM

This is so much turmoil currently in that region it is hard to predict what the situation will be next month.

Are you traveling independently or with a tour group? I think a tour group would be a bit safer with the ability to receive frequent updates from their local contacts. We were in Egypt at the beginning of 2020 and were impressed by all the security precautions in place at the airport and at our hotels. However, the US State Department is currently advising everyone to reconsider travel to Egypt. Personally, I would try to rebook the trip for another time.
Old Oct 19th, 2023, 10:07 AM

trip to egypt

I have a trip booked with OAT leaving Nov 23 . https://www.oattravel.com/trips/smal...canalcrossing- I have been traveling with them since 2006 and this will be my 22nd trip with them. They are replacing the Israel portion with Cyprus and returning home from Amman Jordan rather than Jerusalem. I am confident that they are keeping traveler's safety utmost in mind. I had considered canceling but won't. Goodwill certificates offered and other options also. What I don't like is no direct flights as I had originally to and from Israel.

If I was traveling solo I would cancel though. OAT did a great job of getting us out of Morocco Dec 2021 when the airports closed due to the Omicron virus so I think they could do the same if something happens on this trip.

Have you made a decision? Good luck.

Karen

Last edited by KRNS; Oct 19th, 2023 at 10:12 AM. Reason: change trip site
Old Oct 19th, 2023, 03:08 PM
Ian

Received 9 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by progol
It comes down to how much you feel comfortable with risk and visiting a country in an active turmoil.
Not at all comfortable. It is a vacation.

We cancelled our March trip with only a fairly minor penalty from Egypt Air and our dahabiya cruise deposit.
Old Oct 20th, 2023, 08:39 AM

State Department has Egypt now at Level 3 threat, with "reconsider" for planned travel. What else do you need to know?

Old Oct 20th, 2023, 09:19 AM

Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts
Here's the British Foreign Office map advising where not to travel in Egypt, considered by many travelers to be less knee-jerk than the US State Dept. advisories:

Specific advice on which places not to go: https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/egypt

Everyone has their own comfort level, keeping informed advice in mind. There are gray areas beyond the black & white of some thinking.

Old Oct 21st, 2023, 02:00 PM

I'm wondering the same thing. I'm supposed to be leaving next week & my trip will eventually end up in Jordan.

Curious to hear what you decided to do.

Thanks
Old Oct 22nd, 2023, 04:39 AM
Ian

Received 9 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by MmePerdu
Everyone has their own comfort level, keeping informed advice in mind. There are gray areas beyond the black & white of some thinking.
We have holidayed in South Africa several times and Namibia and eSwatini - which all required caution and common sense in the field because of the high crime rate. I also had one business trip to Guyana that seemed to need bodyguards and a secure hotel – not my call btw. However, a region at war and or in danger of a widening conflict or anywhere with crazies running loose with AKs is not vacation territory imho.
Old Oct 22nd, 2023, 06:29 AM

Originally Posted by Ian
However, a region at war and or in danger of a widening conflict or anywhere with crazies running loose with AKs is not vacation territory imho.
I totally agree. I don't know if I'd even accept a free trip to any place in that area in the next few months.
Old Oct 22nd, 2023, 08:38 AM

There may well be "gray areas beyond the black & white of some thinking." but the fact remains that to go or not go is a binary choice. My personal view is it would be optimistic beyond the bounds of reality that the situation in the Middle East is going get any better anytime in the foreseeable future. The probability is that it is going to get a hell of a lot worse, possibly very quickly. The only question is really how far it will spread and how fast. IMHO we are rapidly approaching the point when a regional war is almost inevitable. If that happens then nowhere in the region would be safe for tourists.

it doesn’t really matter how good tour operators like OAT are, just look at how effective western governments have been in getting their national out of war zones in recent times,. Would a tour company fare any better if things go awry? Consider the upswell of anti-American, anti-British, anti anyone who supports Israel that has always been around in the region for many many years. Things could go very wrong, very quickly.

Yes, everyone has their own comfort, risk level and must make their own decisions. Personally, I wouldn’t go anywhere near the region until things become clearer which could be a very long time. Fingers crossed I am totally wrong and the like of Biden and Sunak and the UN sort this out quickly but I am no holding my breath.

Old Oct 22nd, 2023, 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by crellston
There may well be "gray areas beyond the black & white of some thinking." but the fact remains that to go or not go is a binary choice. My personal view is it would be optimistic beyond the bounds of reality that the situation in the Middle East is going get any better anytime in the foreseeable future. The probability is that it is going to get a hell of a lot worse, possibly very quickly. The only question is really how far it will spread and how fast. IMHO we are rapidly approaching the point when a regional war is almost inevitable. If that happens then nowhere in the region would be safe for tourists.

it doesn’t really matter how good tour operators like OAT are, just look at how effective western governments have been in getting their national out of war zones in recent times,. Would a tour company fare any better if things go awry? Consider the upswell of anti-American, anti-British, anti anyone who supports Israel that has always been around in the region for many many years. Things could go very wrong, very quickly.

Yes, everyone has their own comfort, risk level and must make their own decisions. Personally, I wouldn’t go anywhere near the region until things become clearer which could be a very long time. Fingers crossed I am totally wrong and the like of Biden and Sunak and the UN sort this out quickly but I am no holding my breath.
Well said.

Actually after reading the link to the BFO report I was even more convinced to avoid this area.

It’s a volatile situation that’s still in motion.

OP have you considered alternative destinations?

Last edited by jacketwatch; Oct 22nd, 2023 at 09:42 AM.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -