Where to Stay & What to do in New Mexico

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10th, 2023, 08:03 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First time to NM. We need to be in both Albuquerque & Santa Fe for appointments for 2 weeks, and will need to travel back and forth between the 2 places throughout the weeks.

We are trying to find either one place to stay, or would consider staying one place one week and another place the other week. We would like to choose a quiet, safe, interesting and/or scenic place - could be a hotel or airbnb.

In terms of what to do, we will have limited time so whatever we visit would need to be within reasonable driving distance to these 2 cities. We mostly like nature photography, scenic drives, possibly ancient sites, art/pottery and possibly an outdoor activity (like biking, kayaking...). A teen will be with us who would appreciate anything unique or fun.

Any suggestions are appreciated!
Old Oct 12th, 2023, 01:16 PM

In Santa Fe we stayed at the Guadalupe Inn, about a 15 minute walk from the center of town.

http://www.guadalupeinn.com/

Old Oct 12th, 2023, 01:26 PM

Acoma: Sky City. About 1.5 hours west of Alb. It is perched high on a mesa. It dates from the 1200s and has been inhabited continuously since its founding. In the village are pueblo-style buildings and an impressive Catholic church (no longer used) with four-foot-wide stone walls. When I was there venders sold Pueblo pottery for good prices.

Old Town. Old Town in Alb. with its historic Plaza features the 1706 San Felipe de Neri church and 300-year-old adobe homes converted into art galleries and boutiques selling Native American pottery and jewelry. Nearby are the New Mexico Museum of Natural History and the Alb Museum of Art, History and Science which features ancient Spanish maps and Spanish conquistador armor and helmets. The Indian Pueblo Cultural Center shouldn’t be missed and is 10 minutes north.

Sandia Peak Tramway. The Sandia Peak Tramway takes you up 4,000 feet from the high desert floor to the lush mountaintop where there are fantastic views of the city and a restaurant. One can walk on trails through pine forests and on large boulders.

Rio Grande Nature Center has walking paths (no bicycles) through cottonwood trees along the river. Across the river is the Petroglyph National Monument. One can rent bikes at Routes Bicycle Rentals and bike along the river on the shady 16-mile Paseo del Bosque Trail.
Old Oct 12th, 2023, 02:24 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
PrairieHiker -- why is it that most of your posts sound like generic AI?? Have you actually been to the all the many places you post about??
Old Oct 13th, 2023, 06:11 AM

This is a really nice Santa Fe location just south of the main square/capitol area so good freeway access to ABQ and free parking. The price has gone up but compared to 2 hotel rooms it's not bad. A lot of the central hotels have expensive or tricky parking. Avoid the Cerillos Rd hotels unless a generic chain is OK, I have stayed there for the parking and lower price but it is so ordinary.

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/2800663...RNc0ARjlMmxs4h

This is owned by the Pueblo, or access is anyway, still closed from covid but reopening maybe soon? https://www.blm.gov/visit/kktr

https://meowwolf.com/visit/santa-fe

Old Oct 13th, 2023, 07:13 AM

Originally Posted by janisj
PrairieHiker -- why is it that most of your posts sound like generic AI?? Have you actually been to the all the many places you post about??
I have been to many of the places I post about, including Alb.-SF several times. But I admit not all of them (esp. east of the Mississippi), so I research them online.

Last edited by PrairieHikerI; Oct 13th, 2023 at 07:43 AM.
Old Oct 13th, 2023, 01:19 PM

Here's my Santa Fe TR, JSamps:

Santa Fe Getaway 2018

The hotel is a block or two so from the center. Definitely good for drivers. It has a similar name so check location before you make a commitment!

Last edited by TDudette; Oct 13th, 2023 at 01:21 PM.
Old Oct 14th, 2023, 01:16 PM

You might like Inn of the Governors in SF for lodging. Breakfast is included and there is a pool. Very close to the Plaza.

For a fun art experience, check out Meow Wolf.

it’s a not a long drive from SF to Bandelier National Monument, and so interesting and beautiful. A little farther is the caldera, which is impressive.

The Taos Pueblo is also a good place to visit and learn.

I could go on, but that’s a start. I think a teen would enjoy all the above.