Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page >

Hurghada to Cairo - By Private Car or Air?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27th, 2023, 09:09 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi folks:

Has anyone done the journey from Hurghada to Cairo by car? How long does it really take and would you reco doing that over the flight?

Our family is visiting Egypt in Dec / Jan and flying in and out of Cairo to US. We will be in Hurghada for the last 2 days of our trip. We need to get back to Cairo to catch our international flight back to the US. I would have ideally liked to have flown directly out of Hurghada to US but was getting really long stopovers (9 hours +). So have to get back to Cairo. Ideally, we get there some time in the afternoon / before dinner as we have to be at the Cairo airport by 10:30 PM to catch our flight back to US.

At the end of the trip, I am looking for a relaxing, reliable, non-stressed way to get to Cairo. We have 2 kids (14 and 8). If we fly, I am worried about flight delays, etc. If we drive, I am worried about how exhausting / fun of a ride this will be. Has anyone done it? Is it pretty? Are there fun things to do along the way? I know traffic entering Cairo will be brutal.
Old Sep 27th, 2023, 07:16 PM

Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts
I wouldn't return to Cairo the same day as my flight home. In fact I'd skip Hurghada & spend a day relaxing right at the airport at Le Meridien Hotel right at the airport. I love that hotel.

Old Sep 28th, 2023, 01:50 AM

My daughter and son-in-law travelled through Egypt in their Land Rover from Cairo to Sharm-el-Sheikh and back, and then along the Nile to catch a ferry to Wadi Halfa in Sudan, but not the road between Hurghada and Cairo. I don’t recall them mentioning any problems on that part of their trip.

I’ve only flown in Egypt over the Nile, and was able to spend a lot of time looking out the window. The one thing that sticks in my mind was how developed the country was in the narrow strip along the river, but almost nothing beyond that. Rome2Rio says that a direct flight from Hurghada to Cairo takes one hour, and a trip by road 4hrs 38min. That doesn’t look like a problem, except what would happen if you had a breakdown on the way. There isn’t much on that road between Hurghada and Cairo, so I’d so some research before deciding to drive. I’d go along with MmePerdu’s advice.
Old Sep 28th, 2023, 04:31 AM

I also was thinking the same. I would take a flight back the evening before and stay in the airport hotel. As a rule, I stay in or near the city I’m flying out of the next day. While the timing appears doable, what would happen if, as Heimdall suggests, you break down or, if you were flying in, had a flight cancellation?

Coming in the day or night before would make it much more relaxing. Whether or not you keep Hurghada in your itinerary, that would be my recommendation.
Old Sep 28th, 2023, 12:19 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to everyone for your advice! And also for the Le Meridian Hotel Reco. Yes, planning to come into Cairo the afternoon/evening before we fly out. Good point on the car breaking down. I realize that I should have probably included my itinerary to help visualize. I'm looking for advice on whether to drive or fly on Day 13 (we fly out Day 14 at 1:45 am, so need to be at airport by 10:45 PM on Day 13). It may not change your advice but hopefully will provide you with more context. Based on your advice, I am leaning towards flying. I just hate schlepping the kids and bags to the airport (and then risk the bags getting lost / delayed). I have this (perhaps romantic) idea of just dumping the bags and getting the kids into a car and going and having flexibility with times, stops, etc. Anyhow, you have given me some points to consider. Thanks again!

Day 1 - Arrive Cairo
Day 2, 3 - Cairo
Day 4 - Fly to Aswan.
Day 5 - Abu Simbel Day trip by road (driver and guide)
Day 6 - Transfer to Luxor by road (driver)
Day 7, 8, 9 - Luxor
Day 10 - Transfer to Hurghada by road (driver)
Day 11, 12 - Hurghada
Day 13 - This is the day that I am trying to figure out if we should fly to Cairo or go there via private driver. Would need to get to Cairo Airport by 10:45 PM this night.
Day 14 - Fly out at 1:45 AM. So need to be at airport by 10:45 PM the night before
Old Oct 2nd, 2023, 08:42 AM
Original Poster

An update here! I ended up booking tickets to fly from Hurghada to Cairo the day before we fly out of Cairo. Hopefully all works out well with luggage, etc. We are supposed to arrive in Cairo around 12:30 PM on the 6th and fly out of Cairo on 7th 1:45AM (13 hours later). If someone has any ideas on what to do in Cairo for 10 hours (12:30 PM to 10:45 PM when we have to check in), do let me know! By that point in our trip, we should hopefully already have done the pyramids, Sphinx, and Egyptian Museum. MmePerdu already suggested Le Meridien by the hotel so will definitely check that out.

Thanks as always Fodorites!