​​​​​​​London itinerary 4,5 days - September 2023

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19th, 2023, 01:39 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi guys! I was so encouraged by all the suggestions and advices I got two years back when planning a trip to Cotswolds (we ended up having a wonderful time, thank you!!), that I’ve been really trying to get into this ‘planning’ thing. I must be doing something wrong, as I end up spending way too much time doing research. Please help with creating an itinerary!

So my mum will be visiting us in the UK, and it will be her first time in Europe. She will be arriving on September 24th, and we are planning to spend 4 days in London, until Friday. I have been to London several time, but it had always been at the back something, and although I did visit some of the sights, it’s never been a long stay with a purpose of just exploring the city.
What I have in mind is to show my mum the must see sights, but not necessarily try to get into all ‘touristy’ spots, have long waits in queues, etc. So a combination of seeing iconic cites, walks, people watching, parks/gardens, maybe a show/concert, AND good food (I’m a picky foodie and a random not great quality touristy food can almost ruin my day lol); not looking for fancy stuff, just nice places with authentic food.
I don’t think I want to throw in too many museums, castle tours, etc., where it’s required to read/understand English (my mum doesn’t speak the language). Longish walks are ok, but I think a full day walk might be a bit tiring for my mum (she is 61).

What puzzles me the most is how to combine sites in a day considering distances. I’m terrible at directions hence use Google maps all the time. But I know Google maps don’t always give you best connections/routes.

On the 24th I will be arriving at LHR terminal 5 around 1pm, and head towards terminal 4, where my mum will be arriving at 4 pm. I’m thinking to get Oyster cards while waiting for her.
We then take a tube (not sure which one exactly yet) to our accommodation in Notting Hill (the closest metro - Notting Hill Gate).
By the time we arrive, it will be probably around 7. Walk around the neighbourhood and have dinner?
On the 29th we will be catching a flight to Belfast from London Luton at 14:30. I'm thinking by train from St. Pancras? Any easier options? Are there distances where it makes sense to get a cab for 2 people?

This is a rough compilation based on my reading/research. I have no problem tailoring this list (and anything additional) in whichever way based on suggestions! You help is hugely appreciated!

The Tower of London
Hampton Court Palace
Big Ben , Westminster Abbey and the Houses of Parliament
Buckingham Palace
Trafalgar Square
Covent Garden, Piccadilly etc.
V&A
Tower Bridge
London Eye
Harrods Food Hall (or any other alternative where we can buy nice treats)
Tate Modern
St. Pauls Cathedral
Borough Market
River Thames Cruise
Millennium bridge
Kensington Gardens & Palace

Cafe/restaurants:
V&A tea rooms
Cafe at the Tate Modern
OXO Tower
Searcy's at 30 St Mary Axe
Skylon in the Royal Festival Hall
Le Pont de la Tour
Darwin in the Sky Garden
Dishoom
Barrafina, Drury Lane
Neal’s Yard - The Barbary
All picks here seem good? Not sure if some of them are very expensive though - https://www.fodors.com/world/europe/...ants-in-london

Afternoon tea:
F&M
The Ritz
The Wolseley
The Savoy
Harrods
Brown's
Claridges
Goring

*Based on suggestions in the other threads, I’m no longer considering hoho buses
*As for seeing a show, I’m thinking Cabaret, at Playhouse Theatre, London?
*Should I consider buying London Passes?

Last edited by Adelya; Sep 19th, 2023 at 02:17 AM.
Old Sep 19th, 2023, 05:43 AM

You have a great list of sites to visit. The one thing I'll mention is perhaps considering a matinee rather than an evening show for your mother. Hopefully, there'll be one during the week you're there. Or if in the evening, know the running time and prepare. Some shows can be really late, and if your mom isn't a night owl, the experience may not be as nice.

Also, English isn't my mom's first language, either, but often there'll be audio guides in multiple languages to many historic sites, so hopefully you'll find her language. And of course, the V&A and national portrait gallery transcend language.

I'm not at all a foodie, or terribly discerning with food, so hopefully others can weigh in. Have fun planning!
Old Sep 19th, 2023, 06:11 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The weather is getting worse but London is one of the driest places in the country. I'd have two plans for each day, an indoor one and an outdoor one. The BBC does its best to give hour by hour weather so pull it up each morning (the website is best) and plan based on that. You may like some time along the canals https://www.cntraveller.com/gallery/...-london-canals
Old Sep 19th, 2023, 06:29 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Just one quick comment - more later when I have a bit more time to read the plan . .

"On the 24th I will be arriving at LHR terminal 5 around 1pm, and head towards terminal 4, where my mum will be arriving at 4 pm. I’m thinking to get Oyster cards while waiting for her. We then take a tube (not sure which one exactly yet) to our accommodation in Notting Hill (the closest metro - Notting Hill Gate)."

What I'd do (Especially if either flight is long haul and if you have much luggage) Take the Elizabeth Line to Paddington and then a cab to Notting Hill. The Elizabeth Line is totally step free and Paddington to Notting Hill is just over a mile/10 minute drive.
Old Sep 19th, 2023, 11:49 AM

Another quick comment: try to get to the Tower of London when it opens to help avoid long lines. I recommend visiting the Crown Jewels first and doing a tour with one of the Yeoman Warders.
Old Sep 19th, 2023, 11:58 AM

We just had dinner at Barrafina and The Barbary in May and was able to reserve both on line. Both are primarily bar seating although they now have some table seating available. My travel has become increasingly about food since I’ve been many times and seen all the sights. Dishoom is good but can be a long wait in line. I use HungryOnion.com food boards for good restaurant advice and eater.com usually has good lists of places to go. London has become a great restaurant town full of different cuisines as well as great British food. One of my favorite places to go for lunch or afternoon tea/coffee is the restaurant at the Victoria and Albert museum. It’s a wonderful museum and a beautiful spot to grab some food. Ditto lunch or coffee at the Tate Modern with amazing views out towards the Thames and St. Paul.

https://london.eater.com

Last edited by macdogmom; Sep 19th, 2023 at 12:02 PM.
Old Sep 20th, 2023, 11:05 AM

A couple of suggestions;

Dishoom is fine and we are regular visitors to a number of there outlets. Not keen on the Covent Garden outlet, I would head for their places in Carnaby St or Kings Cross. Their no reservations after 17:45 is a pain so do bear in mind if you want to avoid a queue. Bibi in Mayfair is a great alternative. https://www.bibirestaurants.com

Not sure where Fodors got that restaurant list from? Some are fine but some are truly awful. Seņor Ceviche was arguably the worst meal I had this year. For afternoon tea , I would go with Fortnums, Browns or The Goring. All as English as it gets! The Ritz is the most famous but a bit stuffy IMO.

Great alternatives to Harrod for foodie treats are Selfridges in Oxford St or Fortnum and Mason in Piccadilly.

When we have friends to stay we often incorporate a "cruise" on the Thames by getting the boat between Westminster Pier (Houses of Parliament) to Tower Bridge (Tower of London/ Borough Market) . Lots of boats, with or without commentary.
Old Sep 20th, 2023, 02:25 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for the suggestions! Walking along canals and Thames river cruise sound like a great idea; I'll incorporate both into the itinerary!