Search

Fall Color NE Trip

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13th, 2023, 04:42 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fall Color NE Trip

Will be driving from Portland Maine back to NYC the end of the first week of Oct.
Have 5 days to get back to NYC. Was thinking of driving back through
NH and VT. How would you split the days and where?
Looking to stay around $150 or less a night.
Want to drive the Kancamagus Hwy. Wondering how will traffic be? Stop and go or just slow?
Are not hikers and hoping not to drive more than 3 hours a day.
If colors are amazing that week could extend rental another week.
Thank you for any advice or suggestions.
Old Sep 13th, 2023, 08:05 AM

I might guess that 5 rentals during that time would be hard to get unless pre-booked for the leaf peeping season.
Old Sep 13th, 2023, 09:46 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Are you talking about this October - like 3-ish weeks from now? I've only been in the area in the Fall once so can't make useful suggestions, but I'd think you've left things very late . . .
Old Sep 13th, 2023, 10:23 AM
Original Poster

Yes in 3 weeks.
Old Sep 13th, 2023, 01:36 PM

I don't think it is realistic to find hotels for $150 a night in the next few weeks or actually most of the time. The beginning of October is prime time through Columbus Day weekend throughout all of New England and people book a year or certainly months out.
It has been many years since I was on the Kanc but never during foliage season. It's never been that crowded when I was on it but again, not during foliage season. It is a slow and windy road, so not a road in which people are looking to make time, just taking in the sites and views.
Old Sep 13th, 2023, 11:52 PM
Original Poster

Any idea about the drive for best colors to New York City?
Old Sep 14th, 2023, 01:33 AM

Bear in mind that northbound traffic on interstates is going to be extremely sluggish and ditto for southbound on sundays. Have alternate routes planned.
is there anything else you want to do besides look at leaves? If you stayed in Concord NH for example, the Kancamagus could be a day trip. You could also visit canterbury Shaker Village and the Kearsarge Indian museum in Warner which also has a Telephone Museum.
Meredith NH is a beautiful town on Lake Winnipesaukee so you could take a cruise on the Mt Washington but there's going to be a lot of traffic and I would go to that area on a weekend.
if you travel north on an interstate, I like how the views get nicer as you get further north. I89 from Concord to VT is pleasant. If you stayed in Concord you could also visit Gould Hill orchard for great apples and view plus hard cider tasting. The Concord Farmers market on saturdays is nice. The one in Norwich VT is even bigger and better with more prepared foods.

Although the most direct route from Portland would take you to Conway NH area and mountains, if you head south to Portsmouth and maybe an inland rivers cruise, take rt 4 to Concord is a nice drive. That puts you in position to take I93 north to mountains and you'll get that growing excitement as the mountains get closer.

but too many people head to the mountains. There's a small state park on Mt Kearsarge accessed frommthe Wilmot side that gives a splendid view toward Lake Sunapee. Winslow state park https://www.alltrails.com/parks/us/n...te-park/photos

Have lunch in New London which is a beautiful college town with splendid views.
we live in NH but I'm not a fan of the White Mountains.
Old Sep 14th, 2023, 05:12 AM
Original Poster

Thank you that is wonderful information. I looked at a map. How do you think thel drive to the Kancamagus on 202 to 113 from Scarborough ME will be then head South. Lake Meredith and Norwich VT both look good. Any thoughts on Woodstock NH? As far as what we like to do is look at colors, take pictures, cider mills and farmers markets are wonderful! We like good food but not fancy restaurants, just good casual fun places. We would love towns we can walk in do some shopping too. Please keep the suggestions coming. If we do 5 days how would you split it between NH and VT? Haven't been to either. Thanks!

Last edited by snorkel3; Sep 14th, 2023 at 05:15 AM.
Old Sep 15th, 2023, 01:44 AM

Check your travel date with Fryeburg Fair. If fair is happening heavy traffic. I forget when fair is. The Sandwich Fair in NH is Columbus Day weekend.

woodstock would provide lots of shopping but it's where all the tourists go. Your should also find some interest shops in Meredith. We've stayed in Norwich Inn and a chain motel in the area. Advantage of Norwich Inn is being able to walk across the street to a good restaurant. We also stop at King Arthur Flour and there's a farmstand on same road between KA and farmers market that I like. Visit Dan and Wit,s general store for some real VT. Expect to make reservations for Woodstock restaurants. Simon Pierce is a special, famcy treat for lunch in Quechee but check ahead because they had flood damage. They also sell exquisite glassware made there. Hanover NH is an easy drive from Norwich and would also offer some shopping. Dartmouth College is there.

I would do at least,one night in Norwich area timed to visit farmers market on Saturday. Stay rest of time in Meredith area with both Lake W and short ride to mountains. Do the drive to Center Sandwich and Tamworth. The Sandwich Notch road is seasonal. There's a small waterfall easy walk from the road but you have to know where it is. Sled dogs for polar expeditions were trained in this area.
Old Sep 15th, 2023, 09:29 AM
Original Poster

Thank you. More good advice. The woman's skillet toss looks like it would be fun to watch at the fair! Do you go to the fairs? Favorite thing to see at them?

What do you do at King Arthurs? All I know is it's a flour company.

Last edited by snorkel3; Sep 15th, 2023 at 09:42 AM.
Old Sep 16th, 2023, 01:13 AM

We used to go to fairs and volunteered to work at 4H kitchen. Frequently watched pulling events and I liked horse events. We would go early to see kids getting their animals ready for showing and have breakfast at a favorite booth run by a church. We took young granddaughters to one fair because they were hoping to catch a piglet. Can't remember which fair had backseat driver event. Men drove riding lawnmowers blindfolded. Women stood on back to give directions. Might habe been Fryeburg which is a nice fair.
King Arthur Flour has baking classes which I have attended. They also have a cafe and a great shop selling all things related to baking from flour to expenisve baking pans. Check out their website.

Old Sep 16th, 2023, 07:34 AM
Original Poster

The King Arthur classes do look good! Hope you are faring well with Lee.
Old Sep 16th, 2023, 02:22 PM

I love the Norwich, VT area as my daughter moved there several years ago and we visit quite frequently. dfrostnh gives you excellent advice. I love, love King Arthur Flour Company! The food at the cafe is delicious whether you buy lunch or get coffee and pastries. I always find something I like at their store, whether it's kitchenware, bakeware, food items, etc. The Farmers Market is awesome. Weather permitting, we love to have drinks on the porch of the Norwich Inn. Norwich has a nice bookstore if you are a reader.

Woodstock is very pretty, too. A bit more upscale. Some nice restaurants, a covered bridge, another great bookstore, the Woodstock Inn for dinner and/or drinks. And then there is Quechee with the gorge and Simon Pearce glassblowing mill. And the VINS Nature Center in Quechee.

Another nice town is White River Junction with some interesting small shops and restaurants, such as Tuckerbox which we've eaten at several times with our daughter and her family.
Old Oct 12th, 2023, 11:07 AM
Original Poster

Went to Pollys Pancake in Sugar Hill NH for breakfast. Quite the place and wonderful food. Drove to and through Woodstock VT. Very busy. Traffic jam coming into town from opposite direction. Crowds at Scoops so will have to get a creemee closer to Killington where we are staying. On Sat will go to Rutland farmers mkt so will probably be able to find one enroute. Don’t think King Arthur this trip.
Old Oct 12th, 2023, 12:08 PM

I put this link on your other thread but am reposting here for others who might not see it there.
https://www.vermontvacation.com/fall...cid=962bbbc485

Old Oct 12th, 2023, 02:57 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for the foliage report. I drove to Rutland late afternoon and coming back just before sunset the light on the leaves and mountains was amazing.
As were the red sky and clouds that rolled in.