Search

Washington coast in late September - early August

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20th, 2023, 03:37 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Washington coast in late September - early August

Hello
We are taking a driving trip up the west coast and need some help with the Washington leg of our trip. The tentative trip is to start from Portland on September 23rd, then
  • to Port Angeles and stay two nights to visit the Hoh Rain forest. I've read in the blogs that this drive can be boring, but i would really like to see a temperate rain forest. We could also stay at Fork for two days.
  • Then go to Port Townsend and take the ferry to Whidbey Island on the 26th. However, it looks like the ferry schedule ends on September 23rd and the fall/winter schedule isn't out yet. Is that a problem?
  • Stay on Whidbey island or go to one of the San Juan Islands (Orca?) for three or four days. What islands would you recommend? We are looking for a quiet hotel/B&B/VRBO near beaches/forests ). (There seems to be the same problem with the fall/winter ferry schedule.)
  • Then to Seattle for a couple of days before heading back to Denver.
Does this schedule make sense? Is there another similar route where we can stay on one of the islands for a few days and see rain forests?
Old Jun 21st, 2023, 07:05 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
Welcome to Fodor's!

It's doable, but the first day, Portland to Forks, would be pretty long and a bit boring for the most part. (Port Angeles is not a suitable base to visit the Hoh rainforest - it's much too far, especially considering that the daylight hours will be decreasing at the end of September.)

I'd be inclined to offer an alternative plan, one that might free up a day that you could use someplace else. See if you can get a room at the Lake Quinault Lodge, a picturesque old-fashioned national park lodge, located on the shore of Lake Quinault (duh) but within the Quinault Valley rain forest. The Quinault forest offers pretty much the same environment as the Hoh forest, but Lake Quinault is a couple of hours closer to Portland, and the drive from the lodge along the "Quinault forest loop" - around 30 miles, is a terrific way to experience the rain forest. There's an easy "loop trail" that will take you to waterfalls, moss covered trees, all that.

What I'd then do is head up to Port Townsend along the east side of the peninsula, rather than around the top (via Port Angeles.) While this might involve some backtracking, it will be quicker and, as it follows Hood Canal for some distance, equally if not more scenic than the more westerly loop. (US 101 along the west coast is inland and quite boring.)

The ferry system will release the autumn/winter schedule well before your travel dates. It won't be hugely different than the current one, although fair warning - staff shortages have plagued the system since the pandemic, so there might be some cancellations of sailings, but it's not something I'd be too concerned about. The Port Townsend - Whidbey ferry accepts car reservations, and these are well advised. I doubt if you'll have much difficulty in late September, however.

Whether or not you want to visit the San Juans is your call. For a first timer, I'd pick San Juan Island (Friday Harbor) over Orcas, mainly because there are more lodging and food options on San Juan Island, as well as several fascinating places to visit. You might see orca whales from the Lime Kiln Point state park, visit picturesque Roche Harbor, or learn about the "Pig War" at either/both the American or English camps.

Or, if you want to make it easier (and cheaper) from a driving angle, staying on Whidbey is another option. Explore Deception Pass and Fort Casey state parks - fabulous - or go gallery crawling in Coupeville or Langley. There will probably be autumn farmers markets about, and several nice places to stay, such as the Inn at Langley or the Captain Whidbey Inn - google them. You don't need a ferry to get back to Seattle - use the bridge on SR 20, and maybe stop at equally picturesque La Conner on way back south.

Here's a couple of maps showing some possible routes for this plan. The first includes a coastal route to Lake Quinault via stunning Cape Disappointment at the (awesome) mouth of the Columbia River, then it includes Whidbey instead of the San Juans. https://goo.gl/maps/FeSmiy1cthLSDxQ6A

The second has a quicker route to Lake Quinault, then includes the San Juans. https://goo.gl/maps/pscvYPA5d7qNnx7z9

Note that Google maps are always a bit optimistic on drive times, and don't take into account waits for the ferries.

Hope this helps; happy planning, and again, welcome to Fodor's!

Old Jun 21st, 2023, 09:58 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Welcome to Fodors forums! I live in Seattle so can help with that part of your trip. On Whidbey, I've enjoyed Captain Whidbey Inn, in Coupeville. For the San Juans only been to Friday Harbor. So am not much help other than for the city portion. suze
Old Jun 21st, 2023, 10:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gardyloo.
Thank you. Your suggestions are excellent, and
​​​ we greatly appreciate the time you took to prepare those routes. We.re very intrigued by the Quinault lodge, it seems to be exactly what we were looking for and avoids the excessive driving my route required.

Well look into your island suggestions. Lots of choices