Vancouver/Seattle/Portland Sept/Oct

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11th, 2023, 02:43 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Traveling to the NW and Canada from St. Louis with my adult son. Either mid Sept '23 or early Oct '23. Will have approximately 9 days. Am hoping to see some of the Columbia River / Mt Hood area in Oregon, spend a brief amt of time in Seattle, a day in Victoria and the balance in Vancouver. We can rent a car - but I'd prefer to keep that only in the US. and am curious if I'm understanding correctly that we can get around Vancouver easily without one. Thinking to fly into Vancouver, ferry to Seattle ? and then rental car to head down to Oregon - flying home from Portland. Is this a valid plan or is there a reason to switch the order/location? I am very unfamiliar and would appreciate any/all advice! My thanks....
Old Jun 12th, 2023, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by lindachambless1592
Traveling to the NW and Canada from St. Louis with my adult son. Either mid Sept '23 or early Oct '23. Will have approximately 9 days. Am hoping to see some of the Columbia River / Mt Hood area in Oregon, spend a brief amt of time in Seattle, a day in Victoria and the balance in Vancouver. We can rent a car - but I'd prefer to keep that only in the US. and am curious if I'm understanding correctly that we can get around Vancouver easily without one. Thinking to fly into Vancouver, ferry to Seattle ? and then rental car to head down to Oregon - flying home from Portland. Is this a valid plan or is there a reason to switch the order/location? I am very unfamiliar and would appreciate any/all advice! My thanks....
Knowing you are going North to South starting in Vancouver, I would suggest you get on a BC Ferry outside Vancouver in Tsawwsassen to head over to Victoria. The Tsawwassen Ferry will take you over to Swartz Bay, just north of Victoria and you can hire transfer into downtown. If you stay downtown in Victoria, you will not need a car. The from Victoria you have a couple options. You can take the MV Coho ferry across the Straight of Juan De Fuca to Port Angeles. You could then rent a car in downtown Port Angeles where at least 3 major rental car companies have offices walking distance from the ferry pier. From there drive around the Pennisula and take in that beautiful area, as you nead over the Hood Canal Bridge and then take either the Kingston over to Edmonds (North of Seattle) or the Bremerton Ferry right to the Seattle Waterfront. Option 2: take the Victoria Clipper, which is a hydrofoil craft that goes straight from Victoria to the Seattle Waterfront. You can set up car somewhere in Seattle, for your drive to Oregon. Timberline at Mt Hood is only about an hour maybe 1:15 to Portland. You could all go "around" Hood then north to Hood River and take in the Columbia and all the falls while driving along the river back to Portland
Old Jun 13th, 2023, 06:12 AM
Original Poster

Just so I'm clear... take 101 to 104 from Port Angeles (or go up 20 for a bit??? and then take 19 down to 104??) to Kingston. We're all about the scenic areas you mentioned! Once we leave Seattle in our rental, would you suggest straight down Interstate 5 and make the full loop around, or, go southeast on I 90 to I 82 to Hwy 97 to the Mt. Hood/Columbia River area? I feel like I read somewhere that this is a more beautiful drive, but now can't find that info. I'm sure it's longer, but not sure by how much or what we might see/do along the way to make the extra time worthwhile.

Again, my sincere thanks!

Linda
Old Jun 13th, 2023, 08:34 AM

Options on the Peninsula

HI Linda
Forgive all my typos with round 1, I will try to slow down this time. To you questions - Again you have options. If you have the time, I would definitely take Hwy 20 up to Port Townsend, then go back down on Hwy 19 to Hwy 104. I did not mention Port Townsend on my first note because I didn't want to take to many offramps. The Peninsula is loaded with those, but Port Townsend is a wonderful town, the oldest English settlement in Washington and a historic trading port. If you know the movie Officer and a Gentleman, most of the movie was filmed at Old Fort Worden Park which is right next to Port Townsend, but the town is a whole lot more than that mention. It has great food, interesting architecture, old mansions and a really relaxed, friendly atmosphere. You leave there and head south on Hwy 19, then over and across the Hood Canal bridge ( Hwy 104 ) this to is a nice scenic tour and brings you right to the Kingston Ferry terminal. Since you are going in Sept/ maybe October you shouldn't need a ferry reservation, but if you know a couple days out maybe when you plan to take the ferry, making a reservation is good insurance to make sure your plans go smooth.
As to which way to go after you leave Seattle. If you have the time definitely, avoid I-5 and take I-90 so you can get over to the desert side of Washington. From I-90 on the "east side", I would suggesting taking Hwy 821 to Yakima, then catch Hwy 97 south and do not go over to I-82. This way you can take in the arid desert hills and all the vineyards and orchards around Yakima, Toppenish, et al, and then travel through the high dry plateau to the Columbia. When you get to the Columbia you can head west on either Hwy 14 or I-84 on the Oregon side. From here you will experience a good piece of the Columbia gorge and the major Cascade Peaks.

~ Have a blast
Bob
Old Jun 13th, 2023, 10:13 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
Let me make a suggestion about getting around, given the high price of rental cars these days and the even higher (really higher) costs of one-way rentals.

Fly into Portland, get a car and explore the Columbia River Gorge and Mount Hood areas, then drop the car and ride the train (several daily, around $30 per person and 4 hours) up to Seattle.

Visit our fair city, then if Victoria is a must (but see below) take the Victoria Clipper high speed ferry from Seattle to Victoria. Do your visit there, then take public transportation (various options) to Vancouver on the mainland. Visit that marvelous city and points surrounding, then fly home from there. Or, if you have to fly home from Seattle, take the train (two trains daily, morning and evening) back to Seattle, badda bing.

Amtrak Cascades: Home Page | Amtrak Cascades

Now, regarding Victoria. I get the appeal but understand it can be fairly complicated logistically. The Clipper from Seattle is quite pricey and takes 3 1/2 hours, which can be bumpy at times. Returning from Victoria to Mainland Canada using public transportation is straightforward, but also very time consuming - it's not as close as you might think. If you could afford it, flying on a float plane from Seattle to the Inner Harbour in Victoria is the quickest and by far most scenic route, likewise flying on a floatplane from Victoria to Vancouver is also a blast and quick.

Seaplane & Land Plane Flights - Scenic Flight Tours - Charters | Kenmore Air
Harbour Air Seaplanes | North America's Largest Seaplane Airline

But do consider the possibility of skipping Victoria if you can't give more time to the city and Vancouver Island. For example, one of the big draws of Victoria is Butchart Gardens. These are marvelous, but there ARE alternatives that might be equally appealing. the Queen Elizabeth Park gardens in Vancouver, along with the Bloedel Conservatory (google them) inside the park, might very well do as substitutes for Butchart, saving lots of hours and LOTS of dollars. I'd put on my thinking cap as you move toward a decision.
Old Jun 14th, 2023, 04:34 AM
Original Poster

Thank you, Bob! It's so kind of people to help me.... I didn't see your first attempt (typos?) but I'm new here so it's likely my error. You had me architecture and history. Port Townsend sounds right up my alley. I like the idea of getting our car at Port Angeles and exploring a bit on our way to Seattle but also know there's a direct trip on the Clipper - straight from Victoria to downtown Seattle. Not sure how to figure if the longer ferry ride/car option from Port Angeles vs. the direct downtown Clipper option is worth the extra time -- and have not yet researched cost. If you're up for more communication, what's your opinion?
Old Jun 14th, 2023, 06:11 AM
Original Poster

Gardyloo, thanks so much for your reply! You've given me great suggestions and a lot to think about and research! If you don't mind, I have a few questions.
-We could likely do one float plane (love that idea) either to or from Victoria ---- and you suggested from Seattle to Victoria. You are correct that I had not planned more than a day or 1 1/2 days in Victoria but perhaps I should investigate more time on the island as it looks lovely. Is it best to leave downtown Victoria and stay elsewhere if we're doing more exploring there? Transportation (ride share?) to a hotel outside of Victoria proper? Tour options outside of the city without a car? (I'm a big fan of 'tour with locals' type options)
-We then need to get to Vancouver... You stated, Returning from Victoria to Mainland Canada using public transportation is straightforward, but also very time consuming. Does this mean buses w/ ferry? I'm confused.
-Would things be way simpler to do a day trip to Victoria out of either Seattle or Vancouver - and then just do one float plane from Seattle to Vancouver?
-During all of our transportation outside of Portland, we will be traveling with our carry-on sized luggage. Are there generally lockers available if we need them? Trying to imagine lugging that around with us

Your advice is so appreciated and valued. Thanks again!
Linda
Old Jul 14th, 2023, 11:36 AM

Hi Linda
I agree with all of Gardyloo's suggestions. I guess between the two of us we could come up with so many options, you could be planning for months. I went with the Ferry then rental car option, just because I do like the latitude I guess - while also pricey, but if you are coming out this far I would not miss out on the Olympic Peninsula.
I think in my first note, I did mention Butchart Gardens, but Gardyloo is right there are great parks and gardens in Vancouver, Lynden , the Skagit Valley, Magnolia park in Seattle ... on and on.
Taking Kenmore Air our of Lake Union is a pricey but a fantastic option for going to Victoria or the San Juan Islands. They are a terrific company with multiple scheduled seaplane flights to the islands and to Victoria through the summer and early fall. I mentioned the two Ferry routes just to get you out on the Gulf and San Juan Islands and the Strait, but flying over them is also fantastic. I also agree, there is a ton to see along the both sides of Vancouver Islands, as their is on the Peninsula. Again, so many options...
The Victoria Clipper - mostly enclosed does not give you the same opportunity to soak it all in - in my opinion.
While I started you from the North, he started you from the south, with great ideas on how to get north. I agree on Gardyloo's idea of the train, especially since north of Seattle is almost all along the coastline and a beautiful trip. As you likely saw on the link provided Amtrack terminal is right in downtown Vancouver at the east end of the bay. So to your question - I would take the seaplane to Victoria and back to Seattle and then train it up to Vancouver.
Sorry I was delayed in responding
Bob
Old Jul 15th, 2023, 11:03 AM

The Victoria urge will just require a lot of invested TIME... and going there for "a day in Victoria" is typically not a good investment when added to a limited-ish amount of time one has to invest in the rest of the northwest. It's a wonderful place, and were it not for the considerable aggravation it brings in just getting there, I'd happily go there and rekindle memories of things I saw there long ago.

You'd spend large chunks of TWO days getting to and fro in order to have one "day in Victoria". That could more optimally be put to use elsewhere, mostly in allowing more comfort in not having to be so hectic in the other locations of your interest.

Vancouver is surrounded by water on most sides, so it is considerably flat... and densely populated... getting around without a car is easy-ENOUGH. And you could happily immerse yourself there for 3 days without need for leaving the central area. Flying into Vancouver gets the northern-most place of interest sort of out of the way... before maybe a train to Seattle from which you'd rent a car when needed.

The Sky Train from Vancouver airport to downtown Vancouver is really easy.

I think that for your being from the St. Louis area, just anything that seems "foreign" will continue to be enough to seem interesting for 2 or 3 days spent in central Vancouver.

Of course there are many other options away from the downtown core, but you don't neeeeeeeeed to bother with them enough to justify renting a car.

In Vancouver you can even take a city bus far enough out to reach the foot of a mountain, and then ride a gondola 3000 feet up the side of the mountain to the ski area above... with what are fantastic views. IF you find yourself drawn to Grouse Mountain then pay the $58 each and DO it.

Vancouver is also quite unique in that normal people and LOTS of them are walking the streets at all hours of the night, unlike in most other North American cities.

Schedule some time walking on Robson Street after dark on one night, if it's convenient. (er, well, GO there, and if it happens to entail walking back after dark, then don't be too fearful)

Maybe kinda save-up some of your time for the end, when you can see the Columbia River Gorge as desired.

Also, given the relative ease on both ends, you might make a point of getting your rental car at an OFF-airport location in Seattle, and returning it to a downtown Portland location before taking the TriMet/Max train to the Portland airport for your departure flight... to save $$$ on the airport taxes applied to car rentals.

Hope you're still checking this thread.
Old Jul 17th, 2023, 02:19 AM
Original Poster

Bob, Gardyloo and Northwest Male... Let me start by thanking you all for your valued assistance! I so appreciate your time and willingness to help me navigate. I've narrowed a few things down and now return here with, of course, more questions! Here's the itinerary so far - and, the accompanying questions.
Flight booked into Portland arriving mid morning on Thursday. Get rental car at airport (better to rent at another location after ride share into city?) and drive to Hood River area. Spend night one in a hotel in that area (suggestions?) Day two - Friday. See more of Columbia River sights and drive the 'loop' around Mt. Hood back to Portland via hwy 35 & 26. I like to support local and plan to find an AirBnB type rental around Portland for Friday and Saturday nights (most require a 2 night stay) Day three - Saturday - drive to Oregon coast for a long day trip - Cannon Beach down to Tillamook and back (or ??? suggestions appreciated!) Day four - Sunday - return rental car in a.m. and take train to Seattle. Spend balance of Sunday and day five - Monday in Seattle (besides the fish market, no set plans - perhaps a hop on/hop off tour of the city or other 1/2 day tour/activity?) 2 nights in Seattle (a downtown hotel to have walkability to things? Suggestions?) Day 6 - Tuesday - Victoria. Your comments about Victoria did not go unnoticed. We'll skip the gardens and do other things (Suggestions???) And, we'll get a hotel there (suggestions?) for one night. I love the seaplane idea - both from Seattle to Victoria and from Victoria to Vancouver - if we can afford it. If not - is it best to do seaplane FROM Seattle to Victoria or FROM Victoria to Vancouver? I'm not understanding our options finding a land option from Victoria to Vancouver - and understanding that without a car, we are dependent on ride share to get to options. Regardless, we'll leave Victoria on Day 7 - Wednesday - and head to Vancouver where we spend 3 nights (Wed, Th, Fri). Again, I'd like to do an Air BnB but also suspect we might need to be downtown for public transportation and walkability. (Hotel suggestions / must do's in Vancouver???) As an alternative, I guess we could do a train ? from Seattle to Vancouver ? and then do a day trip only to Victoria from there? Day 10 - Saturday - Flight booked out of Vancouver to StL - home! Whew! I know it will be go, go, go --- but know we'll get a taste of a lot - and perhaps zero in on some things for a deeper dive in the future. The Northwest is new territory for me and I want to see as much as we can - even for short stays in different areas.
Your help - again - is so very much appreciated! THANK YOU!!!
Old Jul 18th, 2023, 11:47 AM

(before I forget)... make sure to go to Stonehenge at Maryhill, Washington (about 45 miles from Hood River)

unLESS you've been to the original Stonehenge before.

(Stonehenge makes for a good turning-around point when driving through the gorge from Portland)

Also, be sure to go to Timberline Lodge... having Mount Hood right THERE (as IF it were beckoning you to begin walking up the side of it) is pretty awesome.

As for the Oregon coast... wow, there are SO many awesome views and places, that selecting a day trip from Portland is a challenge.

LOL - and then if you add something that is too good... you pause there for too much time, and cut the rest of it too short.

of course it has to be a long, straight line... instead of a useful and convenient circle.

Gardyloo loves Ecola State Park, just north of central Cannon Beach, and I'd say DEFINITELY go there, to the viewpoint... (it was five bucks to do so, last I saw)

One could build a case for going as far north as Astoria and then into Washington and to Cape Disappointment State Park, for great views of "Long Beach", and local lighthouses, etc.

And one could consider going as far south as The Devil's Punchbowl.

You should probably just select for yourself, for there is plenty of coast and never enough time.

(clarity) there is absolutely nothing wrong with Victoria... once you reach it.

And it makes more sense for you to go there, from St. Louis... than it does for me to go there, from 85 miles away.

Three nights in Vancouver will be cozy... and I don't think you should spread yourself too thin by traveling too far from the core area.

Find a map and lean your lodging and paths away from the area of Hastings and Main streets. (but do eventually visit Gastown during day or evening dinner hours)

Outside of that I'd want to be immersed completely in the downtown hubbub. Side trips to beaches/Stanley Park are definitely sensible, perhaps depending upon the weather.

Granville Island is a must... and again, just walking around will in ways seem plenty "foreign"... and nothing beats the candy counter at Canadian stores for "Foreign"-seeming (at little costs beyond those of being in America).

(er, well, MAYBE the sign on a random 7-Eleven there which reads "We sell Canadian cigarettes" ~ um, how mighty wise and thoughtful of you)

IF you are interested in the SeaPlane... and IF you can afford it...

the flight from Seattle to Victoria would greatly simplify half of the reason I never get to Victoria.

Beyond that, with your needing to get from there only to Vancouver (before your eventual flight home)... there are surely numerous options for such travel (all within the same country as well)

(having a 3-day cushion in Vancouver after getting there from Victoria doesn't hurt either)

It feels as though you are well on your way to putting together just the suitable vacation for yourself.

Keep ironing out the path while selecting from the various possibilities.

Old Jul 18th, 2023, 07:05 PM

Check out website “Hello BC”. Lots of interesting and maybe helpful info.
I took the float plane from Victoria inner Harbor to Lake Union in Seattle. Fun experience. I take ferry from Tsawwassen because it’s the most scenic. Go to the cafeteria when you board, get a Nanaimo Bar and coffee and go to the outside upper deck and watch the scenery float by. Victoria is very walkable. I have gone with and without car. We walked everywhere. Visit the White Heather for English tea. You will need a reservation. Not what you imagine as a tea house as it’s kind of noisy but food is good and cheaper than the Empress.
I usually stay in North Vancouver at the Pinnacle Pier Hotel. I did stay at an Air B&b once and am quite sure it was an illegal one. Be careful.
Old Jul 25th, 2023, 04:30 PM

lindachambless1952 if you provide your budget and what type of hotel you prefer I can recommend some Vancouver hotels. There are some areas you want to stay away from as northwestmale has stated above. Like many other cities we have issues of homelessness and drug addiction unfortunately.
Old Jul 26th, 2023, 10:48 AM
Original Poster

Thank you, RainCityGirl. Your recommendations would be most appreciated! I'd prefer a location from where we could see much (assume downtown?) with good walkability. Also am fine with pubic transportation if not too complex. Hoping for cost under $300 US /night --- and the closer to $250, the better. Marriott Courtyard level-ish. Don't expect to spend a lot of time there so basic amenities are fine. At least a casual restaurant /breakfast is preferred. I'm all ears if you have other suggestions - like natural NW beauty and animal life, history, architecture, parks and gardens, Open for 1/2 day tours and prefer smaller 'tour w locals' organizations vs. large group operators. Thank you so very much!
Old Jul 26th, 2023, 10:59 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, Sunburn! Will visit "Hello BC" And a reservation for tea will be different! I'll check out the hotel, too. Research is half the fun, they say! Much appreciated.
Old Jul 26th, 2023, 11:18 AM
Original Poster

Thank you, again! Stonehenge, Maryhill and Timberline Lodge are on my list already! I feel so accomplished! You're right that I just need to research the Oregon Coast and feel confident that I won't make a poor choice anywhere. Hoping for a float plane Seattle to Victoria and then a night there - unknown and open to further Victoria suggestions. Your time and help is very much appreciated.
Old Jul 26th, 2023, 05:58 PM

I live in Eugene so if you have Oregon coast questions, maybe I can help. I mostly know the area from Florence to Lincoln City.

In the Portland area, you might look into staying at the Edgefield Hotel. Its close to airport but a good place to stay for seeing the Gorge. It used to be a poor farm, then a nursing home and then a resort. There are a couple of restaurants, a brew put and a winery there and a movie theatre. Artists were commissioned to paint pics of when it was a nursing home so every door, wall is painted with unique creations. Most of the rooms do not have a BR though- you have to use a community one which some don't like. It didn't bother me. It is a fun place to stay.

I used to live in Kansas City by the way.
Old Jul 26th, 2023, 08:59 PM

Linda, my wife stayed in Vancouver's downtown YWCA. The value there in that triple-room was fantastic. The location is excellent and those lodgings could help to offset costs in that otherwise-pricey city.
And personally, I would not miss Vancouver Island.
Good luck.
I am done. the orca
Old Jul 27th, 2023, 08:50 AM

Thank you, RainCityGirl. Your recommendations would be most appreciated! I'd prefer a location from where we could see much (assume downtown?) with good walkability. Also am fine with pubic transportation if not too complex. Hoping for cost under $300 US /night --- and the closer to $250, the better. Marriott Courtyard level-ish. Don't expect to spend a lot of time there so basic amenities are fine. At least a casual restaurant /breakfast is preferred. I'm all ears if you have other suggestions - like natural NW beauty and animal life, history, architecture, parks and gardens, Open for 1/2 day tours and prefer smaller 'tour w locals' organizations vs. large group operators. Thank you so very much!
The Coast hotel at Coal Harbour appears to be within your specifications, it would be a nice easy walk to Stanley Park from there and also it is close to downtown. Unfortunately many of the decent hotels in Vancouver are quite pricy but another couple that are not too pricy are: The Sutton Place which is close to Robson St, downtown so good walk score, and the Sheraton Wall Centre which is not far from the Sutton Place. If you see other accommodation you are tempted by maybe run it by us here first so we can let you know if the area is good or not. Years ago I would have never said that but these days we do have some issues in parts of the city, not super dangerous per se but certainly unpleasant when you are on a vacation.
Stanley Park is definitely worth a visit, it has a lovely seawall walk. Also it is fun to take the gondola up to Grouse Mountain, the views are spectacular, on a clear day you can see Vancouver Island and there is a restaurant, also they have grizzly bears which were rescued, and a sort of corny but fun logger show with pole climbing and log rolling.
For gardens, Van Dusen gardens is really good- 5251 Oak St, I'm sure you can get the bus, it's not right downtown but not too far away. I suggest using Rome2rio for public transit information, living here I mostly drive or walk so not up to speed on the different buses etc.

Granville Island is a fun place to spend some time, there is a large public market plus restaurants and small shops. You could walk down to the foot of Hornby street and take the Aquabus across to it.
If you are interested in indigenous art/history the Museum of Anthropology on the University of British Columbia campus is well worth a visit, they have incredible totem poles, carvings etc. You can take the bus to UBC from downtown. Again, I'm sorry but check Rome2rio for the bus number.
That's what I can think of off the top of my head, I will check back if anything else comes to mind. Do you want restaurant recommendations too?
Old Aug 2nd, 2023, 09:13 AM
Original Poster

Again.....THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR FANTASTIC HELP! It has meant a lot to me in all of my research and navigation with 'parts unknown'.
I think I'm almost done booking all of the big stuff like transport and hotels. The only missing element is a hotel in Victoria (1 night) Will be arriving and departing from the downtown harbour - but I understand transportation is easy once you're on the island. Again, will spend little time at the hotel but would appreciate recommendations based on ease to other attractions and a mid-range price. I'm so very appreciative!

I'll have to figure out how to become an advice GIVER for those traveling to my neck of the woods. Pay it forward!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -