Golf in SW Ireland - transportation suggestions

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11th, 2023, 07:59 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and 3 friends are planning a golf trip to Ireland in June, 2024. After much deliberation they have decided that they don't want to drive themselves. Given that, would this be a doable alternative?
Fly into Shannon and take taxi to Lahinch. Stay at Lahinch for 2 nights, playing the Old Course one day and the Castle Course the next day. Travel by taxi to Kilkee, spend night. Play Kilkee the next day, then travel by taxi to Ballybunion. Spend 2 nights at Ballybunion, playing the Old Course one day and Cashen Course the next day. Travel to Tralee by taxi, spend the night and play Tralee the next day. After play at Tralee they would make their way (probably by train) to Dublin for a few days before flying from Dublin home.
They plan to book lodging within walkable distances to each course and pubs to avoid the need for a car once they get to each destination. Any suggestions other than local taxis (or renting a car&#128521?
Old Jun 11th, 2023, 08:58 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
If they've firmly decided not to drive local taxis is probably their best option. I'd just contact each hotel/B&B and sk for local recommendations.

If it was me - I'd stay the first night at/near Shannon to recover from the jet lag, then pick up a rental car - the'd have to get an SUV or people mover (minivan) to hold 4 adults, luggage plus golf clubs.

Old Jun 12th, 2023, 05:15 AM
Original Poster

Thanks - they're pretty firm on not driving. Also getting a quote from a couple of the golf travel suppliers but suspect they can do the trip less expensively on their own, with a lot of preplanning.
Old Jun 12th, 2023, 07:43 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by ckiskie
Thanks - they're pretty firm on not driving. Also getting a quote from a couple of the golf travel suppliers but suspect they can do the trip less expensively on their own, with a lot of preplanning.
IMO/IME any 'golf travel suppliers' charge silly money (for just about everything - not just car services) because so many of their customers have more money than sense (shh don't tell the guys I said that)
Old Jun 13th, 2023, 05:12 AM
Original Poster

I suspect you're right about that. We've managed to arrange our own trips to a couple of harder to get to golf destinations in Scotland (Cruden Bay and Royal Dornoch) but public transportation so I imagine it won't be much harder to do in Ireland.
Old Jun 13th, 2023, 07:07 PM

The best thing about Kerry is the road to Cork

I highly recommend The old Head of Kinsale, firstly its in cork, secondly its tiger woods favourite course outside the states, cons its expensive but well worth it.
Old Jun 14th, 2023, 05:51 AM
Original Poster

Thanks - I'll suggest they check out Old Head.