Four Nights In Orvieto?

Search

Four Nights In Orvieto?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4th, 2023, 10:21 AM
Original Poster

Received 21 Likes on 2 Posts
Four Nights In Orvieto?

We are thinking of a trip to Orvieto, Rome and Naples next year. We were going to start in Orvieto. Since flights arrive so late, by the time we reach Orvieto by train, we really won't see anything. Would four nights and three full days work best? Thought we'd take a bus to Civita di Bagnoregio for a half day trip. Thanks!
Old Jun 4th, 2023, 11:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you have your heart set on seeing Civita di Bagnoregio, and you are arriving after an overnight flight to Rome, then I think three nights in Orvieto might work well. The consensus on a wide variety of websites is that Orvieto makes for a great day trip from Rome, and that it CAN fill up a day - - though some suggest doing an overnight there for additional atmosphere. With the jet lag and a side trip to Civita then three nights sounds sensible, but if you feel you could skip Civita di Bagnoregio, then it might not be worth setting up camp in Orvieto - - just arrive Rome, enjoy the first night in Rome, do Orvieto as a daytrip, and then you will have multiple extra nights to spread out between Rome, Naples, or maybe an additonal locale.
Old Jun 5th, 2023, 08:15 AM

We spent one day there recently, but could easily have stayed longer. If you're thinking of 3 nights, that means 2 full days so considering a half day in Civita it sounds like a relaxing way to start your holiday without overdoing it
Old Jun 5th, 2023, 08:45 AM
Original Poster

"If you're thinking of 3 nights, that means 2 full days so considering a half day in Civita it sounds like a relaxing way to start your holiday without overdoing it."

Thanks Tine, that is the way I'm leaning, and we might just skip Civita. I like the idea of a more relaxed start and then tackle Naples and Rome.
Old Jun 5th, 2023, 01:44 PM

Hi Tom, Rhody and I planned a half day but stayed longer and missed Bagno so I agree with above re your timing. In addition to the amazing Duomo, we took the underground tour and visited the museum across from the Duomo (good photo venue). We walked and savored the town.

I read a bunch of books centered around Venice by Marlena de Blasi; she and her DH ended up in Orvieto and I think they opened a BnB. Off to Google her.
Old Jun 5th, 2023, 08:20 PM

We loved the experience of Civita 10 or so years ago. We had a car but if you can do it by bus from Orvieto and have the time, I’d definitely go.
Old Jun 6th, 2023, 02:17 AM

I love Orvieto and usually spend the day there when I’m visiting Umbria. I’m sure you would find it a nice place to unwind and recover from your jet-lag. The Duomo is stunning and there are lots of boutiques and restaurants to wander around. Check the location of your hotel as some of the hotels are on the outskirts not up in the hill town.
Old Jun 8th, 2023, 08:47 AM

Back in the ancient days (2002) we spent a week in a very rustic castle in Proceno – about 40 minutes from Orvieto. We went to Orvieto one day and did the things mentioned above plus we climbed to the top of the clock tower for incredible views of the countryside, rooftops, curvy streets and the duomo. We liked Orvieto so much we went back another day and walked around some more then had dinner at a very nice restaurant.

If you do decide to stay in Orvieto and find you have an extra day to do some local sightseeing, we did a day trip that we really enjoyed. We had a car so you would need to rent one for the day. We went to Pitigliano, Saturnia Springs, an Etruscan Tomb and Sovana. It was an easy interesting drive and each place we stopped was sort of unique – at least it was for us. Shutterfly shut down the picture Share Sites so I added a couple of pics to the end of my very brief 2002 trip report.

Italy Vacation 2002

Last edited by john183; Jun 8th, 2023 at 08:50 AM.
Old Jun 8th, 2023, 08:59 AM
Original Poster

Thanks John. Love the "This is NOT me!" photo.
Old Jun 11th, 2023, 11:11 AM

Four Nights In Orvieto?

We spent a week in Orvieto October 2019. Love Orvieto! We did day trips to some surrounding areas and a bike tour, and wine tour. Orvieto is a lovely hilltop town - good restaurants and shopping.
Old Jun 11th, 2023, 10:46 PM

I loved the ceramics shops! Tracy will adore it!

I think three full days are plenty. You’ll be able to immerse yourself in the vibe and pace. Not a lot of big sights so truly a great place to soak up “La dolce vita” !

Old Jun 12th, 2023, 06:37 AM

ps---The museum was the Etruscan Museum. Looking forward to your next TR.
Old Jun 12th, 2023, 08:00 AM
Original Poster

Now if I can just find a flight from Los Angeles to Rome that won't force me to mortgage the house. Looking into ITA, but the reviews are less than stellar, but if it gets me there in one piece, we shall endure.
Old Jun 12th, 2023, 08:18 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
"If you do decide to stay in Orvieto and find you have an extra day to do some local sightseeing, we did a day trip that we really enjoyed. We had a car so you would need to rent one for the day. We went to Pitigliano, Saturnia Springs, an Etruscan Tomb and Sovana. It was an easy interesting drive and each place we stopped was sort of unique – at least it was for us."

Add a mention of the "sunken roads" in this area.

https://www.bbc.com/travel/article/2...ous-cave-roads

With a car, Todi is an easy day trip, and you can drive different routes to/from.
Old Jun 12th, 2023, 08:45 AM
Original Poster

John183 and Jean, You have got me to thinking (dangerous). We visited Pitigliano, Sovana and Sorano along with Roccalbegna on our infamous "wrong petrol" 2005 trip. I wouldn't mind seeing these towns again through another lens (aka iphone, our photos back then were weak). This way we could take some more time to see these towns, I remember the sunken road. Thank you both for the idea. At my age, I need all the help I can get.
Old Jun 13th, 2023, 02:59 PM

You are right, thinking at our age (I am the same age as you) is dangerous. Had I only known this about the mud at Saturnia Springs I think I would have tried to spread some on my body and I might be more energetic and look 20 years younger now - or more likely I would look like the guy in my picture. LOL. I found this about the mud there. Sounds like it is miraculous stuff.

"The warm, hot or cold mud is spread over the body or just a part of the body as part of the therapy, in addition to bathing in the water, or to alleviate pathologies like arthritis, rheumatisms or skin diseases. Enriched with mineral nutrients and natural extracts, they also become incredible beauty products! In Saturnia, they become masks for any type of skin: normal, impure, sensitive or delicate. By adding nutrient and hydrating ingredients they combat aging signs and, spread on the body, they tone, reduce cellulite and get rid of fatigue."
Old Jun 18th, 2023, 06:34 AM

Yes, that is a good plan. We started our last trip in Orvieto and two nights wasn't quite enough. Do make a reservation at Le Grotte del Funaro. I have been twice and love it.
Old Jun 19th, 2023, 07:19 PM

We really enjoy Orvieto, but try to go during the week. It can get very crowded on the weekend. We also love Civita. It is very much worth a trip.
Old Jun 20th, 2023, 02:45 AM

Originally Posted by maitaitom
Now if I can just find a flight from Los Angeles to Rome that won't force me to mortgage the house. Looking into ITA, but the reviews are less than stellar, but if it gets me there in one piece, we shall endure.

a couple of times, I flew Alitalia business class using Delta miles from LAX to FCO. Had to fly Southwest from San Jose to LAX separately.

the seats were kind of worn out but you had a lot of privacy.

for dinner they’d roll down the cart with a couple of primi and they’d serve you as much as you wanted. Wasn’t the best pasta but better than on any other airline.

but it was one of the few direct flights to Italy from the West Coast.
Old Jun 20th, 2023, 07:10 AM

We spent four nights in Orvieto in 2016, and loved it. We did have a car, and we took a great cooking class while there. We also visited Civita, but felt disappointed - very hard to find parking, nobody seems to actually live there (tourists only), and we got ripped off at the Rick Steves recommended restaurant. Great views tho!
If you need a place to stay, the place we rented was reasonable, perfectly located, and the owners were wonderful, even meeting us at the funicular to help us find the house. It is available on many booking sites, and is called "il gelsomino di isia".
Happy travels!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -