From Edinburgh to LHR by rail over three days

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 16th, 2023, 04:57 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Due to some (grrrr) schedule changes by airlines I now find myself in an interesting planning position / limbo:
  • depart from Edinburgh by rail on the afternoon of Friday June 23
  • arrive 4 days later at LHR (Premier Inn or similar) on the afternoon/evening of Tuesday June 26
  • BYPASS CENTRAL LONDON: it is a very expensive crowded zoo this year ....
So, it's time for a BritRail Ramble!

This gives me 3.5 days to wander by rail -- and I adore train travel through glorious scenery. And -- bonus -- a senior BritRail pass for three days of consecutive travel (hop on, hop off!) is surprisingly inexpensive compared to same-day point-to-point tickets. (yes,I have four days to travel, so I'll buy a day ticket for one.)

My first thought is: Friday afternoon, Edinburgh to Leeds via Carlisle and Settle. What a wonderful early summer evening ride through the Yorkshire Dales! Overnight in ... ???. But then what? Ultimately I'd like to visit Canterbury as a day trip from the London area so that might get worked in. I'd like to visit Ely but that makes no sense for this four day ramble; not does anything in Wales. Coventry Cathedral? Warwick Castle?

(I'm a light traveler: small backpack, small cross-body bag).

My questions for you are:
  • favorite UK train rides (south of Edinburgh, and excluding Wales)
  • where in the greater London area should I stay on Night #3 to have good access to a day trip to, say, Canterbury or some other good daytrip from London that isn't totally over-run by crowds this year
Sorry for posting such a peculiar question!
Old May 16th, 2023, 08:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Why not go to Ely? It's two and a half hours by train from Leeds with one change. You're going to have to change trains and stations in London to get to Canterbury anyway.
Old May 16th, 2023, 08:44 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
I agree with thursdaysd -- IME/IMO Ely is a better fit than Canterbury.
Old May 17th, 2023, 07:38 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
You could do a very nice cathedral stop-and-go trip down the east side of the island without a lot of detouring.

Start with Edinburgh to Durham. The train ride along the Berwickshire and Northumbrian coast line is very scenic in places, and Durham, if you haven't been, is a superb destination. Durham Cathedral gets my vote for the most impressive building in Britain (top few in Europe) and the medieval town that winds up the hill from the river to the castle and cathedral is really lovely. Map - https://goo.gl/maps/kNXkeF8VtqHrPcFJ6

Here's a video showing the scene from the train between Newcastle and Edinburgh. Note this is a northbound train (you'd be going the other way) and the best coastal scenery starts at about the 58-minute mark in the video.

Durham to Lincoln. Lincoln Cathedral is stunning, also surrounded by a glorious medieval town. Note this train trip would pass through York, another (obvious) possible highlight, but on a weekend in late June likely to be mobbed. I'd vote for Lincoln anyway. Map - https://goo.gl/maps/Gb3EbSjYQvZAipka7

Lincoln to Ely. I'd actually spend the Sunday in Lincoln, because the train service to Ely on Sundays is slow and somewhat awkward. On Monday, the train ride (via Peterborough) is around 2 hours. Map - https://goo.gl/maps/C1XBWcLUuEyqud9Y6

Lincoln to Ely. Again, a simple trip that will take around 2 1/2 hours whenever you go. You'll have to transit London, using either the Heathrow Express or the new Elizabeth Line, but do it mid-day and it shouldn't be a big deal. Map - https://goo.gl/maps/wiyvMnL5MQyNdvkq8

Just in case some of these are unfamiliar, some photos (not mine) -

Durham

Lincoln

Ely

Old May 18th, 2023, 06:30 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for the suggestions, and for urging me to reconsider Ely. I admit I was in a bit of a planning tizzy after my flights were changed and my trip shortened from departing on June 29 to June 27. After talking with several airline reps, I now have decent flights on June 28 so that's a bit better. I've tweaked things at the other end, so now my BritRail Ramble can start as early as the afternoon of June 22 (just depends on when I turn in the car, now at GLA rather than EDI). That's a six day Ramble.

A 4-day BR pass would be $210; 8 days would be $305, both of which are amazing value for a ramble (it will also cover the Elizabeth line to LHR if needed). I've turned up a 2018 UK rail map with scenic routes highlighted. I will have just finished 12-ish days by car exploring the Scottish Borders down to the Yorkshire Dales and Yorkshire Moors, but there are some scenic rail routes that have me considering riding those before starting the south-bound Cathedral route outlined by @Gardyloo.

Based on reports this week from friends, the decision to skip London this trip seems to be sound; with luck the crowds will subside and I can enjoy a few days there in October.

Thanks again for the suggestions!

Last edited by BarbWire; May 18th, 2023 at 06:34 AM.
Old May 18th, 2023, 06:52 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
For maps see: https://www.seat61.com/train-travel-in-britain.htm#maps

You do know about seat61, right?
Old May 18th, 2023, 08:46 AM
Original Poster

Yes, I've used seat61 as a resource for many years. Just haven't had time to look at him/it for this trip.