Suggestions for trip as perfect as Yellowstone

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21st, 2023, 01:30 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ahhh it’s coming on a year since we ventured from TN to Yellowstone and Jackson Hole.
The beauty, animals, clear air and most amazing scenery was like nothing I could have imagined.
We want to explore different places now that I have retired and feel so much better after back surgery.
We are waiting on passports so for now suggestions for areas not needing one are requested.
We also visited Kennebunkport Maine the year pryor and that to was. “10”
We have taken Off road vehicles, speedboats, so love some adventure just can’t do extensive hiking.
I also like nice places as I enjoy a lovely hotel room to relax in. Open to suggestions for next adventure!
Oh and we love eating out- steaks, seafood!
Old Apr 21st, 2023, 02:08 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
You've tagged twelve states that couldn't be more different. Can you narrow things down at least a little?? Are you flying or driving? What time of year?
Old Apr 21st, 2023, 08:20 PM

Have you been to Yosemite National Park? You can enjoy the lovely Ahwahnee Hotel and nature - a great combination. I also really enjoyed Zion and Bryce National Parks.

Have you been to Hawaii? You didn't include that as one of your locations, but between hiking, snorkeling and delicious seafood you would have a lovely trip.
Old Apr 22nd, 2023, 02:34 AM

Yosemite is one of "my" wonders of the world. And the sequoias just outside of the Valley.
Old Apr 22nd, 2023, 03:29 AM

Have you done the Four corners area? Fly into Alberquerque, drove north to Mesa Verde, then to Moab for Arches and Canyonlands then west through Grand Staircase Escalante to Zion and Bryce, down to Grand Canyon and either back to ABQ with stops at Canyon de Chelley, etc or to Vegas or Phoenix.
Old Apr 22nd, 2023, 06:56 AM
Original Poster

Hoping for anytime after June as it’s already end of April. I tagged the places I would be possibly interested in leaving the rest as I have been there or not interested. Some of the places have good National parks. Because we loved Yellowstone, I was hoping if anyone had been there, they could share other equally amazing places. I love the mountains and Ocean.
Old Apr 22nd, 2023, 06:57 AM
Original Poster

Thank you! I will look into this!
Old Apr 22nd, 2023, 07:05 AM
Original Poster

Thank you will look into this! I’m just concerned about heat. I wear out easily. We drove from Jackson to SLC to fly out as the Jackson airport was closed last year. My husband took “ the quickest route” which turned from magical unreal cool georgous mountain range, to a six hour scorching drive thru a desert with nothing but coal mining towns, no place to stop, and desolation. By the time we got to our hotel in SLC. We felt like we had walked the Sahara. All we wanted was to dive in the hotel pool. We were greeted by a very disinterested clerk, not welcomed, anf they closed the pool for maintenance. The nice restaurant told us they did not have any tables even though we were guests, so we walked across to their sister hotel which advertised a Prime rib buffet only to be told by the ONE harried waitress they did it only on asundays. We left an Uber end to a nearby restaurant, exhausted, spent, our amazing trip, and luck came to an end. We got such weird vibes in SLC so vowed never to return.
Old Apr 22nd, 2023, 08:14 AM

Base yourself in Moab and visit Arches NP and Canyonlands NP

Last edited by Michael; Apr 22nd, 2023 at 08:17 AM.
Old Apr 22nd, 2023, 08:55 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
So let's see if I can summarize. After June, mountains/sea a preference, don't like high heat, want comfortable accommodations and good food. You enjoyed all the wildlife at Yellowstone. Have I got it?

So, ideas. The first place that comes to mind is Southeast Alaska, specifically Sitka. You have to fly there (no roads) although you could take the Alaska ferry from Bellingham (WA) but that's slow and expensive. There are nonstop flights from Seattle. Sitka is the most attractive town in SE Alaska, full of history (Native American and Russian periods) and is surrounded by rain forest, whales, other marine mammals, and lots of birds including puffins and eagles. You can go salmon fishing or visit the Fortress of the Bear, a rescue and rehab facility for Alaskan bears. You're surrounded by stunning scenery, and if you want a little highbrow action to go with the scenery, there's an annual music festival that attracts global talent.

The second area is the Columbia River Gorge and Hood River area an hour east of Portland, Oregon. One of the best things about this area for visitors is the amazing range of sights and activities within a very compact area. The south wall of the Gorge is lined with waterfalls including famous Multnomah Falls, but also other leas-famous ones, but all beautiful. The town of Hood River is famous for windsurfing and kiteboarding on the Columbia, but also as a major center for brewing and winemaking. The Hood River Valley extends south from the town to Mount Hood, and is full of orchards, vineyards, and is home to the Hood River Fruit Loop, a lot of fun. Timberline Lodge on the side of Mount Hood is an iconic landmark (used in The Shining) and from the lodge you can ride a chairlift (year round) up to the permanent ice fields on the side of the big volcano. There's deep rainforest and quiet lakes reflecting Mount Hood in the area. Father east up the Columbia (around 45 minutes from Hood River) is the marvelous Maryhill Museum of Art, featuring terrific sculpture and Native American arts collections, as well as the fascinating Theatre de la Mode exhibit of miniature French mannequins from 1945-46. Nearby is a replica of Stonehenge, on top of the cliffs above the great river. Google the places on this map - https://goo.gl/maps/vLmZwPKcpgYCuSJe7

I would make this an early summer destination rather than a late summer one, in order to avoid potential hot days (especially east of Hood River) and the possibility of wild or forest fires making the air smoky (an increasing issue throughout the west.)

The third area I'd suggest is the Monterey Peninsula two hours south of San Francisco. Like the Hood River area, this has it all - beautiful and historic towns, spectacular coastal scenery and wildlife, terrific food and drink, and it's a very compact area so you don't need to spend days in the car. Again, google the places on this map - https://goo.gl/maps/7zh4TKSUgZEHywcb7

These include the Henry Cowell redwoods (if you haven't seen the California redwoods before, you'll be stunned) and the fun old-school beachfront amusement park in funky Santa Cruz. You'd visit Cannery Row and the incredible aquarium in Monterey, or maybe go on a whale watching excursion from Monterey, and enjoy the picturesque downtown of Carmel, along with its beautiful beach and gorgeous old Spanish mission. Just south of Carmel is Point Lobos, one of the most beautiful places on the California coast and home to lots of wildlife; from there you could explore the Big Sur coast as far as the road is open (around the Julia Pfeiffer Burns State Park, past which the road is closed for reconstruction. Again, this would probably be best in June or July; in August a huge car show in Monterey fills every hotel room to capacity, so best be gone by then.

Old Apr 22nd, 2023, 09:38 AM

I recommend the Black Hills which are actually small mountains (7,242 feet is the highest point). There are lots of things to see and do there: Mt. Rushmore, Crazy Horse Monument, Wind Cave National Park, Custer State Park (a state park of national park quality with bighorn sheep and bison) and Roughlock Falls Nature Area is located in Spearfish Canyon. You can bike the George S. Mickelson Trail which runs through the heart of the Black Hills, connecting Deadwood with Edgemont 114 miles to the south. The trail incorporates nearly 100 converted railroad bridges and 4 tunnels, and goes through ponderosa pines and along a rushing stream. Go view Bridal Veil Falls which is the easiest of the three waterfalls in Spearfish Canyon. East of the Black Hills is Badlands National Park.Custer State Park has Sylvan Lake, the jewel of the Black Hills. Iron Mt. Road (16-A) is an incredible 17-mile experience with 14 switchbacks, three pigtails and three tunnels. It starts at Hwy 16 and goes south to Hwy 30. Ride the 1880 Black Hills Central Railroad steam train. Wander around Deadwood’s historic Old Town where Wild Bill Hickok was killed.
Old Apr 23rd, 2023, 04:18 PM

I love the Moab area but would save that for travel in the Spring or Fall, if possible.