Search

California/ Redwood Forest

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6th, 2023, 08:22 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
California/ Redwood Forest

Hey there!
trying to put together a quick trip to California/ redwood forest area with family. Seven adults( ages 23- 56) for five days in the end of May. Looking for suggestions of things to do in the area. Would like to do some excursions or structured activities. Please share some suggestions.
Thanks in advance!
MerryK
Old Apr 6th, 2023, 08:53 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Which Redwood Forest and which 'area'? Coastal Redwoods along the north coast with the various State Parks and the National Park - or - Sequoias in the Sierra with Sequoia/Kings Canyon National Parks - or some other region (Santa Cruz, Calaveras, etc.)??

Where are you flying in to and out of?
Old Apr 6th, 2023, 09:13 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by janisj
Which Redwood Forest and which 'area'? Coastal Redwoods along the north coast with the various State Parks and the National Park - or - Sequoias in the Sierra with Sequoia/Kings Canyon National Parks - or some other region (Santa Cruz, Calaveras, etc.)??

Where are you flying in to and out of?
Yes. Which redwood forest area? Coastal redwoods and Sierra Redwoods are different subspecies..
Old Apr 6th, 2023, 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by MichelleY
Yes. Which redwood forest area? Coastal redwoods and Sierra Redwoods are different subspecies..

. . . and hundreds of miles apart. Trinidad (Redwood National Park) is a 10 hour drive from Three Rivers (Sequoia National Park)
Old Apr 6th, 2023, 05:08 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am so sorry. I am flying out of New Orleans and was planning on flying to San Francisco, but that isn’t set in stone. Let me explain, I am a cancer patient and in June I will start new treatment that will severely compromise my quality of life. I want to take a five- six day trip with my young adult children and husband. One son requested the Redwood Forest. I really have zero idea of where to go and what to do. My husband and I have been to Yosemite but the kids have not. I would like to see some different sights too - maybe the PCH??? We are pretty open to suggestions.
Thanks
Old Apr 6th, 2023, 05:27 PM

Hope your treatment goes well

Now -- practicalities? What does your son mean by 'Redwoods'? As mentioned they are two different species in totally different parts of the State. Does he mean the REALLY tall ones (coastal) - has he seen photos of green forests with ferns on the ground -- lush? OR -- has he seen photos of the REALLY big around ones in drier mountainous scenery?

Flying into San Francisco makes the Coastal species the most convenient. Two potential options for sightseeing/redwoods and doable in 5 days:

1) North of SF the National Park + California Sate Parks (the best stands of trees are actually not in the National park since the State got there first ) + the Avenue of the Giants + a night or two in Mendocino.

or 2) Henry Cowell redwood state park south of SF near Santa Cruz + Monterey/Carmel + Point Lobos/a bit of Big Sur.

Each of these would make a terrific 5 days trip. Option #1 has the most glorious trees; #2 has shorter drive times; both have awesome coastal scenery.

google all of the above to get an idea.
Old Apr 6th, 2023, 07:42 PM

I think you could go to the Santa Cruz, Carmel, etc and see the Cowell Redwoods. Then head to either Yosemite or Sequoia National Park to see the Giant Sequoias. At least a week to do this comfortably.

Wishing your treatment goes smoothly.
Old Apr 6th, 2023, 08:08 PM

Unless you add several days to the 5-6 days in your OP, IMO/IME MichelleY's would be too ambitious for a a few reasons: 1) the size of your group necessitates two vehicles and that is a lot of territory to cover tag teaming cars. 2) it is awfully late to be finding accommodations in Yosemite and possibly Sequoia/Kings Canyon. And 3) facing heavy duty medical treatment, I would want to take it just a bit easier. Option 1 in my previous post has some of the very same issues -- a lot of miles/car time and hassle with two cars.

SFO > Henry Cowell > Monterey/Carmel > Sequoia > back to SFO is nearly 700 miles and about 12 hours car time plus all the various sightseeing/detours.

SFO > Avenue of the Giants > Trinidad/nearby Redwood parks > Mendocino > SFO = approx the same distance/car time as the Sequoia option.

Whereas SFO > Henry Cowell > Monterey/Carmel > Point Lobos/very northern Big Sur > SFO is only about 250 miles total and 5 hours car time (plus sightseeing/detours). I just think that would be an easier trip in your situation.

Old Apr 7th, 2023, 07:29 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I think this could be a tricky spring for visiting Yosemite/Sequoia/Kings Canyon because of the extraordinary snowfall. Damage assessments are ongoing in all three parks, and the snow melt will likely cause flooding in some areas and lots of problems for visitors.
Old Apr 7th, 2023, 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by Jean
I think this could be a tricky spring for visiting Yosemite/Sequoia/Kings Canyon because of the extraordinary snowfall. Damage assessments are ongoing in all three parks, and the snow melt will likely cause flooding in some areas and lots of problems for visitors.
I should have thought of that too . . . not only road damage and potential flooding. Several roads in both parks will likely still be closed. Unless we get a lot of warm weather in the next month this may be one of the really late opening dates. Some years they would have already started plowing by now and opening by late-ish May. This year they probably aren't going to even start plowing/repairing until sometime in May
Old Apr 7th, 2023, 09:50 AM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by janisj
I should have thought of that too . . . not only road damage and potential flooding. Several roads in both parks will likely still be closed. Unless we get a lot of warm weather in the next month this may be one of the really late opening dates. Some years they would have already started plowing by now and opening by late-ish May. This year they probably aren't going to even start plowing/repairing until sometime in May
I agree. A lot of Yosemite will be under repair or under snow until July or maybe August. Head south from San Francisco to go see Henry Cowell and maybe another place to see Coast Redwoods. I liked Butano S.P.
A place that I have stayed at about 50 miles south of SFO is the Pigeon Point Lighthouse hostel. It is relatively cheap and you can cook your own food there.
If you continue farther south visit Monterey and see the aquarium and other tourist spots. There is also an hostel in Monterey that I have stayed at.
Old Apr 7th, 2023, 04:18 PM

If you decide to do the more coastal Redwood route down thru Henry Cowell, Monterey, Carmel, Big
Sur, consider continuing on to Cambria on Hwy 1. Visit Hearst Castle and loop to Paso Robles and back up to the Bay Area in U S 101. You can even visit several Missions: Carmel, San Miguel, San Antonio, Soledad and San Juan Bautista( my favorite).

Hope this helps. Be aware that most places require 2 night minimum on weekends.
Old Apr 7th, 2023, 07:37 PM

They are continuing to open Hwy 1 bit by bit -- as far as Deetjen's and soon to reach Lime Creek. I've not heard of any estimate for reopening the from the south end beyond Ragged Point. This means one can drive south from Carmel down into the northern parts of Big Sur - or - one ca drive north from Cambria into the southern parts of Big Sur, but can't drive through from one end to the other. Hopefully the road will be open by the end of May but no way to know yet (the poor businesses along that road have sure suffered the last couple of years)