Help with Rome-Sorrento-Venice-Paris Itinerary

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2nd, 2023, 07:29 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are visiting Italy and Paris for the first-time this August and I'm considering the following itinerary (Rome-4 nights, Sorrento-3 nights, Venice 2 nights, Paris 4 nights):

Day 1- we arrive in Amsterdam with a 6 hr layover and won't arrive to Rome until 6:45PM, so this wouldn't even count as a half-day for Rome
Day 2- Rome
Day 3- Rome
Day 4- Rome
Day 5-Leaving Rome to Sorrento
Day 6-tour Amalfi coast (staying in Sorrento)
Day 7-tour Capri (staying in Sorrento)
Day 8-travel day/mid-afternoon flight from Naples to Venice, arriving around 4 PM
Day 9- Venice
Day 10- travel day/evening flight from Venice to Paris at 9 PM
Day 11-Paris
Day 12-Paris
Day 13-Paris
Day 14-leave for home

My main question at this point is, should I give up one of the nights in Rome to give to Venice, resulting in night count of Rome (3), Sorrento (3), Venice (3), Paris (4)? Or it is OK as-is above, with only 2 nights in Venice? Ideally, I'd love an extra night, but our flights are already booked, arriving in Rome and departing from Paris. Thanks for your advice!
Old Apr 2nd, 2023, 08:41 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
No matter where you adjust days I'd personally add at least one more night to Venice. As it is you actually only have one full day there. That is pitifully short. I probably wouldn't cut any days from Rome since day one is likely a 'non-day' what with travel logistics/jet lag. etc.
Old Apr 2nd, 2023, 09:02 PM

Venice should min be 3 nights. Think about giving up Sorrento
Old Apr 3rd, 2023, 01:36 AM

Who are the travelers on this trip?
Is there any way you can change tickets and avoid the long layover in Amsterdam? Could you fly into Venice or Naples? The logistics are really convoluted and any way you could make travel times more efficient would help. Could you reverse flights and fly into Paris and home from Rome?
Old Apr 3rd, 2023, 05:24 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Each change of location eats a day from actual sight seeing (check out, travel, check in, eat). The times allotted for Paris, Rome, and Venice are all less than ideal even for a first time skim the surface visit. Venice is doomed by sea level rising and land sinking, so see it while it is still there, and add a day or two. The Sorrento area will always be there, so drop it., Use the Sorrento days for Rome and Paris and the added day for Venice.

Please tell where you are travelling from and the status of your air arrangements. Also factor in that arrival day, departure day, and if needed one jet lag day should be subtracted from your overall allotted days. It may be smart to do just Paris and Venice, or just Venice and Rome (with maybe a stop over day in Florence).
Old Apr 3rd, 2023, 05:44 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the feedback. We are a group of 5 travelling from Austin, Texas (so I'm doing a direct flight from AUS-AMS on KLM), leaving on Monday, Jul 31 (arriving in Europe Aug 1). Ages 16, 18, 45, 47, 71. Leaving Paris on Monday, August 14.
Old Apr 3rd, 2023, 05:45 AM

Oh I hadn't noticed -- you have just joined the forums. Welcome to Fodors
Old Apr 3rd, 2023, 05:50 AM
Original Poster

Flying direct from Austin, figured I'd rather have a long layover and get to see a small glimpse of AMS rather than waiting in an American airport.
Old Apr 3rd, 2023, 06:16 AM

Originally Posted by jennistravel
Flying direct from Austin, figured I'd rather have a long layover and get to see a small glimpse of AMS rather than waiting in an American airport.

Don't count on seeing much/any of Amsterdam. You might get a free hour outside the airport. AMS has been plagued with periodic issues with long to very long queues both for Immigration arriving and security when flying out. That 6 hours may end up being 4 or 5 hours inside the airport.
Old Apr 3rd, 2023, 06:17 AM

We are visiting Italy and Paris for the first-time this August and I'm considering the following itinerary (Rome-4 nights, Sorrento-3 nights, Venice 2 nights, Paris 4 nights):

Day 1- we arrive in Amsterdam with a 6 hr layover and won't arrive to Rome until 6:45PM, so this wouldn't even count as a half-day for Rome
Day 2- Rome Spend the day outside! Walk to as many sites as you can (Panteon, Trevi, Spanish Steps, ...)
Day 3- Rome Pre-book the earliest Vatican tour for day 3 or 4 (book Vatican 1st since some days are affected by closure/papal audience)
Day 4- Rome Pre-book a Colosseum tour for the other day (my favorite tour includes the underground and Palatine Hill/Forum) You'll have PM free both days
Day 5-Leaving Rome to Sorrento Early train to Naples, then local train to Sorrento. I'd rec stopping @ Pompeii on the way (they have luggage storage at the Pompeii Scavi station)
Day 6-tour Amalfi coast (staying in Sorrento) Hire a car service for your AC day. Still my family's favorite vacation day ever.
Day 7-tour Capri (staying in Sorrento) We skipped Capri and did a down-day of swimming/laundry
Day 8-travel day/mid-afternoon flight from Naples to Venice, arriving around 4 PM Herculaneum or Naples Archeology Museum before heading to airport.
Day 9- Venice Maybe book Doge's Palace tour? Spend the rest of the day/night walking/getting lost. No need to pre-book gondola ride
Day 10- travel day/evening flight from Venice to Paris at 9 PM St Mark's square in the early morning is a totally different experience - you'll have it to yourself!
Day 11-Paris - Check out one of the "free" walking tours on 1st day. Great way for an overview of the city
Day 12-Paris - Everyone's Paris preferences are so different. Do whatever interests you most.
Day 13-Paris Day trip to Versailles. Reservation for a great meal on your last night!
Day 14-leave for home
My main question at this point is, should I give up one of the nights in Rome to give to Venice, resulting in night count of Rome (3), Sorrento (3), Venice (3), Paris (4)? Or it is OK as-is above, with only 2 nights in Venice? Ideally, I'd love an extra night, but our flights are already booked, arriving in Rome and departing from Paris. Thanks for your advice!
I think your timeline is just right.
I'll differ with most here in that for me, a full day in Venice is enough, especially in July/August. I've been to Venice 4 times, & always 2 days or less. The key is to be there in the evening, when the crowds dwindle.
I inserted my preferred order/activities

Last edited by alandavid; Apr 3rd, 2023 at 06:22 AM.
Old Apr 3rd, 2023, 06:22 AM

"I'll differ with most here in that for me, a full day in Venice is enough, especially in July/August. "

July/ August IMO is one reason for more (or much more) time in Venice. The city will be heaving. Everything will be very crowded. In fact - unless I had a couple more days there, I'd probably skip Venice entirely.
Old Apr 3rd, 2023, 06:29 AM

Unless you're getting lay-flat seats & can sleep the whole way, I don't think I'd leave the airport.
AMS is outside the city, so you're burning 2+ hours on commute & will have do go thru passport control after security, which usually has another line.
Get a premium CC that gives lounge access in AMS - some may even have showers.
Old Apr 3rd, 2023, 07:00 AM
Original Poster

Check on lie-flat and lounge access (both due to cc)
Old Apr 3rd, 2023, 07:05 AM
Original Poster

Maybe I could consider an earlier morning flight to Venice to have more of that day, but as-is, I'd be arriving as the day crowd is leaving, and I would have 2 evenings there. But I believe the earlier AM flights from NAP-VCE are so early that I'd have to stay the evening before in NAP and not really wanting to change hotels to do that. My flight leaving Venice on Day 10 would not be until Day 10, so I'd have 48 hours there. Not thrilled about the idea of arriving in Paris so late either, but it beated early AM in my mind. Thank you!
Old Apr 3rd, 2023, 07:55 AM

Maybe I could consider an earlier morning flight to Venice to have more of that day, but as-is, I'd be arriving as the day crowd is leaving, and I would have 2 evenings there. But I believe the earlier AM flights from NAP-VCE are so early that I'd have to stay the evening before in NAP and not really wanting to change hotels to do that. My flight leaving Venice on Day 10 would not be until Day 10, so I'd have 48 hours there. Not thrilled about the idea of arriving in Paris so late either, but it beated early AM in my mind. Thank you!
Naples to Venice by train is quite easy, and an adventure in itself. 5 1/2 hours and no train changes required
Plus, the train will deposit you in Venice proper. VCE is on the mainland and requires a bus/water taxi to get into the city.

My preference would be take the train TO Venice, the private water taxi to the airport for your departure. 2 great travel experiences!
Old Apr 3rd, 2023, 07:56 AM

Venice in August: the "crowd" is constant. It does not leave the city in the evenings. Sure, they may not be lined up at the sights in San Marco, but instead infiltrate the city, clogging every tiny hamlet the city has - almost like the goblins in the Mines of Moria scene in Lord of the Rings. it is often single file in some alleys/streets - where you have to wait for a group to pass if you're going in the opppsite direction. The city does not really "sleep" until late at night..

I traveled solo to Venice last August (second trip) and could weave in and out of crowds somewhat easily and even I struggled. With five people of varying ages in your group, keep this in mind.

With that, I really think you are underestimating how long you truly need in the city. It is, even with the crowds, truly magical, and not one that really can be rushed through - which runs the risk of you being disappointed with the experience if you do. Gven that it is a bit of an outlier logistically on your itinerary; I have to agree with the others: either add more time to it or put the time there onto other points (A.C. perhaps).
Old Apr 3rd, 2023, 07:56 AM

OK, I'm going to throw out a different idea. Italy in August is awfully hot. It's too hot for me to enjoy despite my love of travel but you may feel differently. I would save Italy for when you can travel at a cooler time.

Since you are flying to Amsterdam, why not visit Amsterdam for a few days? It has a lot to offer. From there you could travel someplace (London?) and then to Paris.

Old Apr 3rd, 2023, 08:18 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
The Amalfi Coast in August is wall-to-wall people until the week following the Ferragosto holiday week (Aug. 15th). It's the most crowded month of the year. Visiting the coastal towns, getting to and around Capri... just two days. And then only 1.5 days in Venice.

It sounds like you've already booked/purchased tickets for the flights Naples-Venice and Venice-Paris, but if it was my trip I'd skip either the AC/Capri or Venice.
Old Apr 3rd, 2023, 09:01 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I would cull something, that is one humungus shopping list of a holiday at high season and to some of the best places in Europe. But what makes it worse is you are visiting Northern France and Central Italy.

Look, you know what your family like but I'd cut Amalfi. I'd stick it all in Venice, Venice beach or Padova (just down the railway track) and have a holiday.
Old Apr 3rd, 2023, 10:04 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm with KTravel. I would not be heading to Italy (or Spain, Greece, etc,) in early August. Most of Europe is on holiday then, and it will hot. Very hot. If you live in Texas you are used to hot, but with AC and a car, it is different when you are sightseeing.

Do you actually have the intra-Europe tickets, and if so can you cancel them? And did you investigate trains - see: https://www.seat61.com/index.html

August is a great time for Scandinavia, Scotland and the Baltic area....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -