Train between Ragusa and Modica, Sicily

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21st, 2023, 08:44 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all. I saw a documentary "World's Most Scenic Train Journeys" narrated by Bill Nighy. Season 3, Episode 3 was in Sicily and it featured a trip between Modica and Ragusa which includes a circular tunnel through the mountain. The man telling the history of its construction was the son of one of the workers. He was very emotional telling about his father's experience. Anyway, this may seem like a dumb question, but do the modern-day trains between these towns use the same circular tunnel? None of the train sites seem to specify anything about this tunnel. Has anyone taken the train through the tunnel? I have tried googling for information but find nothing specific. TIA.
Old Mar 22nd, 2023, 03:16 AM

You can perfectly see this tunnel on google maps. Google for "Ragusa, Parco dei Molini Eco Resort" and "Ragusa Santuario della Croce" and you will see the 2 tunnel entries.
https://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ferrov...Canicatt%C3%AC explains the whole thing in Italian.
The trains MUST go throug this tunnel; there is no other possibility to manage the difference of altitude.
In Southern Italy, you find a similar tunnel at Fratte (Salerno).
Better known are the circular tunnels in the Alps:
Fontana, Briga, Tenda, Vernante, Varzo, Giornico, Prato, Grengiols, Salvan, Fontannaz, Chamby, Glion, Caux, Jaman, Kandergrund, Andermatt, Wassen, Gurtnellen, Klosters, Filisur, Bravuogn, Preda, Alp Grum, Poschiavo, Marling, Gossensass, St. Jodok.
Old Mar 23rd, 2023, 05:53 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info. We are based in Modica and thought we would take the train to Ragusa. I note there is a "tourist" train tour which allows you to get off at stops in between but I think as it will be our only chance to see Ragusa, we will just take the normal passenger train. Any other thoughts? Cheers.