Search

Disney Orlando and Universal

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10th, 2023, 06:02 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Disney Orlando and Universal

Hi-
I am planning a trip to Disney and Universal 5/16-5/21. We have reserved a room at The Boardwalk Inn. We are a family of 4 ( my children are 22 & 25).
in general is this a heavy crowd time of the year?

Based upon the parks we want to visit - Magic Kingdom, Hollywood Studios and briefly Epcot and Animal kingdom and 1 day at Universal. Is it possible to manage in 4 nights or do we need 5?

Disney no longer offers transportation to and from the airport -can someone recommend the best means of -(prearranged or Uber) transport if you were not renting a car?

Also, how would you arrange the trip? Would you start at Universal or 1 full day and stay overnight and then head to Disney the following morning or would you start at Disney and mid week take a day trip to Universal?

Thank you in advance for all reply’s!
Old Mar 15th, 2023, 08:34 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would go with five if you can. I would want more than one day at the two Universal parks.
Old Mar 16th, 2023, 05:07 AM

Are your 22 and 25 year old kids on board with this vacation?
This seems like an odd way to spend a vacation with kids this old.
I'm picture the 4 of you standing in line for 30 minutes and cramming into the little boat for the "It's A Small World" ride.
Old Mar 23rd, 2023, 03:55 PM
LNE

Disney with adult children is the best! I would do 5 days if you've never been to Disney and Universal before. You can do a day trip from Disney to Universal and it would be nice not to switch hotels.

As far as transportation to and from the airport, we just take a Lyft or Uber, but pricing can fluctuate dramatically. If you want a locked-in rate, book through Mears or the Sunshine Flyer. I have not used either, so I cannot attest to them!
Old Mar 23rd, 2023, 03:58 PM
LNE

Also, it's so hard to gauge how busy Disney will be. Since Covid, there hasn't been many slow seasons. You will be there before school gets out and before Memorial Day, so theoretically, it shouldn't be terribly busy.
Old May 2nd, 2023, 01:16 PM

I have found this to be a pretty good crowd estimate https://disneywithdavesdaughters.com...rowd-calendar/

However, if rides are a priority, I would recommend getting Disney Genie Plus, perhaps not for each of the parks, but definitely for Magic Kingdom and probably Hollywood Studios. Personally I thought it was worth the money for all the parks, just make sure you research how it works and know your strategy going in. Also make sure you know how Rope Drop works and Virtual Queue. https://www.mousesavers.com/walt-dis...tips-strategy/

if you aren’t renting a car, be aware that universal is a fair distance from Disney. Is one day enough in universal? Depends how much you like roller coasters and whether you must ride every ride. Do you plan to get the park hopper? The park hopper is the only way to ride the Hogwarts Express, btw. Universal’s fast pass is pricey, but might be worth it if you only have one day.

Decide also if you want to burn out on parks every day, it gets tiring walking around, especially if you get there for rope drop and leave after fireworks. Do you want to save any time for hanging at the Disney hotel pool or walking around City Walk? What about Disney Springs (too crowded IMO, but some of the restaurants are fun, like Raglan Road).

Finally, Typhoon Lagoon is fun too, if you feel like a water park day.

I suggest bringing snacks and a refillable water bottle into Disney. Not sure if universal allows food.
Old May 2nd, 2023, 01:31 PM

I think you should also outline which parks you are planning to do each day. I am assuming you are planning a park hopper for Animal Kingdom Epcot?

I am not sure what you are asking as far as 4 nights, because your time frame of the 16th to the 21st is longer than 4.

it would probably make sense to stay near universal for your first two or last two nights. I believe it is closer to the airport if I am not mistaken. So maybe put a day in between the parks to switch hotels and chill at the pool or Disney springs or city walk.

​​
Old May 2nd, 2023, 02:45 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by bluegrass1
Are your 22 and 25 year old kids on board with this vacation?
This seems like an odd way to spend a vacation with kids this old.
I'm picture the 4 of you standing in line for 30 minutes and cramming into the little boat for the "It's A Small World" ride.

My goodness - you must not have been to DL or DW many times. People of ALL ages visit. Heck LOTS of adults visit with no children at all.

But in any case, not sure why the thread was topped since the OP hasn't bothered to return since posting 2 months ago.