Search

Seeking (luxurious) Honeymoon Ideas!

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5th, 2023, 11:19 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Seeking (luxurious) Honeymoon Ideas!

Hi,
I have combed through previous forums, and they have been quite helpful; I'm hoping to get some additional thoughts from you Caribbean Aficionados based on my particular circumstances. My fiancé and I are planning our honeymoon in the Caribbean for late May/early June 2023. We are looking for something that feels luxurious (our wedding present request is exclusively money toward our honeymoon). Here are some details:
  • Budget $10k-$15k
  • Unsure about AI or not; we would like to go to at least a couple restaurants in town
  • Beautiful, clear, warm beaches for swimming (I'm a reluctant swimmer and have only enjoyed ocean swimming a couple times, in Greece and Jamaica, and would love to have that experience again!)
  • Ideally would have some interesting culture/town, nothing huge, but enjoyable for a day or two off resort
  • Interest in some physical activity, like paddle-boarding and hikes, but nothing too adventurous
  • Good snorkeling (my fiance loves fly fishing as well if that's an option) would be a bonus
  • Doesn't have to be Adults Only but don't want it to feel too kid-run
  • We are pretty social and would enjoy a resort with a central pool/dining/bar area where we could chat with other visitors
  • Also, have been to St. Bart's, Jamaica, and Bahamas (and he has been to Barbardos)-- would love something different/new
With these factors in mind and thanks to these forums, I am looking closely at St. Lucia (but not sure if they'd have the ideal beach we're looking for, or enough in town activity), Antigua (first choice I think), Anguilla, and maybe Aruba (though seems more American/touristy). Others we've looked at include Turks and Caicos and St. Vincent.

Love to hear your thoughts! Thank you!
Old Jan 6th, 2023, 09:36 AM

Anguilla has several beautiful hotels that might meet your criteria, however the island is quiet and does not have a town to speak of. But a hotel like the Four Seasons would provide plenty of other guests to chat to. Kids do stay there, not sure if your honeymoon is during school term or not. The Malliouhana is more private, discreet and sophisticated but might be a bit too quiet although it is walking distance to bars and restaurants. Cap Juluca is another I would suggest. The beach at CJ is perfect for a hesitant swimmer. What Anguilla lacks townwise might be found in St Martin, you can go for a daytrip over to Marigot & then to Grand Case,

Antigua has many beautiful beaches and several upscale AI properties. You can't go wrong with Antigua, historical Nelsons Dockyard, Shirley Heights etc. a bit more activity.

Turks and Caicos is another great option. Grace Bay is amazing and if the sea is calm, a great beach for a nervous swimmer. Lots of great hotels, Seven Stars, the Palms, lots more. AI is not required and there is only 1/2 hotels that offer it. So many great places to eat out, no need for AI.There isn't a town as such, Grace Bay has some action but pretty sedate as is much of the Caribbean, except maybe DR, Mexico etc/ St Lucia is stunning, some of those dark sand beaches are really gorgeous, look at photos of Anse Chastanet. The north of the island has beige coloured sand and a bit of activity around Rodney Bay which you might enjoy but does not have the stunning views of the Pitons which are in the south.

Have you considered St Martin? La Samanna is a gorgeous hotel on a sublime beach, easy to swim in and there might be more activity for you on the Dutch side of St Maarten which you can easily reach. And Grenada, Spice Island Inn or other hotels, Grand Anse beach is a great beach, St Georges one of the prettiest capitals in the Caribbean, jungly interior, freindly people.

I've not been to St Vincent yet but would be a good gateway to get to the Grenadines, Bequia, Mustique etc.

Old Jan 10th, 2023, 08:45 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so much! This is super helpful. Have not considered St. Martin but will do now! So many places to go, now I'm thinking of multiple destinations. If we started in Antigua, what would you suggest for a second leg? Something a little different we could easily get to from Antigua by plane? Thanks again!
Old Jan 10th, 2023, 10:02 AM

You can fly from Antigua to T&C, Tobago, St Kitts/Nevis on BA, St Martin on Winair. Tortola BVI on InterCaribbean, St Lucia, Beef Island, St Vincent, St Thomas, Dominica on LIAT (not sure on their status, they're under administration), there might be some other islands on the Virgin network you can reach too.