Advice on where to go after Disney

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18th, 2022, 01:53 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all, we have a wedding at Disney in late March (Sunday, March 26). We're not huge Disney folks (done it with kids moons ago), but we'd like to make a vacation out of our time in Florida....somewhere else. We're flying in from NYC so we'd have to rent a car to get from Orlando to....somewhere. We'd have the following week free from work. We love beaches, but also some culture--good food, interesting sights. We've done Naples, Sanibel/Captiva before, as well as St. Augustine (enjoyed all). We're in our early 60s, youthful, and live in Brooklyn, NY. Where should our vacation be? Miami? Keys? Both? Just one? Or are they too far-flung from Orlando and something else I haven't thought of is worth exploring. Would love your thoughts! Thank you!
Old Sep 19th, 2022, 08:49 AM

Tampa/St Pete area, aquarium, art museum, old Cuban quarter, Dali museum, etc. You can stay at the beach and easily drive to/from stuff for the day if you want, such as staying on St Pete Beach/Long Key, Pass a Grille area. Also can go north for a day trip to Tarpon Springs, Greek diving area

https://www.florida-backroads-travel...s-florida.html

Tampa is a good airport, also. I would never go to Miami/Keys myself with your time but I woudln't go there anyway. Miami is only 4-5 hours drive, you could do that if you want to go there for some reason. Key West would take a day's drive. In a whole week, of course you could do that if you want.
Old Sep 19th, 2022, 11:36 AM

Sarasota and Siesta Key might be an option.
Old Sep 19th, 2022, 01:04 PM

Tampa, lots to do, lots of restaurants, nice for walks. Would like to spend a few days there.
I do like Key West because history is interesting. Only if you would enjoy the drive down and back.
Miami? Parts are fun, lots of art stuff, great houses to tour. So many high rises, though, I find that very unpleasant. Also, I do not like the beaches on the Atlantic. Water is rougher and sand is not as soft and nice as the Gulf Coast. Pass-a-Grille is cute, but don’t care for the beach as much as further North. Absolutely love Clear Water beach.
We like Tarpon Springs too.
Check water temperature for time if your visit.
What kind of lodging will you be looking for?
I didn’t love the places we have stayed. They were not bad, just not charming, but friends have stayed in a couple of places they like a lot. I can look them up.
Old Sep 20th, 2022, 09:14 AM

Take a look at Siesta Beach or Forth Myers Beach.
Old Sep 20th, 2022, 10:08 AM

Sarasota features a vibrant downtown with an equally vibrant bookstore and cafe culture. Attractions include the Selby Botanical Gardens (with 6,000 orchids), Ringling Museum of Art, Circus Museum, and Towles Court Artist Colony. Nearby are lovely powdery white-sand beaches (such as South Lido Park Beach). Bicycle or walk on the Legacy Trail to Venice. Take a wildlife cruise and view dolphins and manatees. There are many nature preserves in the Sarasota County.
Old Sep 22nd, 2022, 12:48 PM

The Springs of Central Florida is one of my favorite destinations in the US. Amazing waterholes for swimming (albeit cold water), and scenes from out of a Tarzan movie. Juniper (most beautiful), Salt (best snorkeling), Rock Spring at Kelly Park (tubing) Wekiva (Canoeing), Alexander, DeLeon (history), Blue Spring State Park (best swimming). Some located in Ocala National Forest.

Old Sep 26th, 2022, 11:01 AM

Another vote for Tampa - we went after Disney and enjoyed it
Old Sep 28th, 2022, 05:59 AM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
It will be very hard to predict how much of the damage from hurricane Ian (cat 4 near 5) will be taken care of six months from today. The eye of the hurricane is predicted to go over Orlando today and early tomorrow. I would plan on flying out of Orlando ASAP after the reception.