Aegina vs. Delphi day trip?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30th, 2022, 06:16 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all - I've done some searching on this topic, but the answers seem to all be from a few years ago and I'd like to check if there's new info out there. I'm going to Athens for a work trip and have September 17-18 for free time. I'm really interested in seeing ruins and museums, so my plan is to see the Acropolis and its museum on Saturday and I have a few free hours during the week to see other historical sites around the city as well.

That leaves Sunday free - would it be more worthwhile to spend a day exploring Aegina or go to Delphi? I'm reluctant to rent a car as a solo traveler, so are there any recommended group tours to Delphi? I've read they can feel rushed and that another option is to hire a taxi, but is that not usually something geared towards solo travelers? If it's helpful additional context, I'm ending the work trip with a brief trip (flying) to Santorini - I know this will also be horribly crowded, but it's my first time to Greece!

Thanks in advance for any and all recommendations
Old Aug 31st, 2022, 12:12 AM

Delphi is one of the most important archaeological sites in Greece, so for that alone would be my choice. Aegina would make a much easier day trip though, with frequent ferries from Piraeus harbour.

There are several Athens based tour companies that do day trips from the city, including ones to Delphi. I’ve never taken one myself, but you can book them through Athens travel agencies. Dave’s Travel Pages also has some links.

https://www.davestravelpages.com/del...p-from-athens/
Old Aug 31st, 2022, 05:05 AM

Originally Posted by laurenkoenig2732
Hi all - I've done some searching on this topic, but the answers seem to all be from a few years ago and I'd like to check if there's new info out there. I'm going to Athens for a work trip and have September 17-18 for free time. I'm really interested in seeing ruins and museums, so my plan is to see the Acropolis and its museum on Saturday and I have a few free hours during the week to see other historical sites around the city as well.

That leaves Sunday free - would it be more worthwhile to spend a day exploring Aegina or go to Delphi? I'm reluctant to rent a car as a solo traveler, so are there any recommended group tours to Delphi? I've read they can feel rushed and that another option is to hire a taxi, but is that not usually something geared towards solo travelers? If it's helpful additional context, I'm ending the work trip with a brief trip (flying) to Santorini - I know this will also be horribly crowded, but it's my first time to Greece!

Thanks in advance for any and all recommendations
Since Aegina is so close and would take less than 2 hours, probably even less with "Fast" ferry I would go there.

It has everything one would want in a Greek Island including two archeological sites. One of them has one of the best preserved temples in Greece.

There is an abandoned Byzantine Village in the hills with several lovely churches, ancient olive grove, excellent hiking/walking, seaside villages and pretty main town on the water.

You can leave in the morning spend several hours wandering around, leave late afternoon and still have plenty of time for a night out in Athens. Very inexpensive ferry cost which makes it a bargain!

I haven't been to Delphi and know that it's one of the best archeological site but you'll spend more time getting there and returning than at the site, especially if it's just a day trip.

There are tours but they tend to be pricey and again it's going to be a long day.

Last edited by crazyh; Aug 31st, 2022 at 05:09 AM.
Old Aug 31st, 2022, 06:39 AM

Good point from crazyh, and as I wrote in #2 Aegina would make a much easier day trip.

Believe it or not, I did my day trip to Delphi from the island of Skiathos in the Sporades. I really enjoyed the trip, because it allowed me to see a bit of the countryside of the Greek mainland as well as Delphi itself. We took a Flying Dolphin to Agios Konstantinos, then a coach the rest of the way to Delphi.

I was amazed to see ski shops in the village, until I realised there is a ski resort further up Mt Parnassus where Delphi is situated. There were excellent views of the Gulf of Corinth from the upper site. We got to see the ancient theatre and the Olympic style stadium as well as the treasuries and the Temple of Apollo, site of the Oracle.

Below the main site is the Castilian Spring and the Sanctuary of Athena. It would be a rush to see all those things on a day trip, but we did, and had time to get to Agios Konstantinos for the Flying Dolphin back to Skiathos. Regrettably we didn’t have time for the Delphi museum.
Old Aug 31st, 2022, 12:27 PM

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Delphi is spectacular. I would look into the day tours that are done and see if one suits our needs. I found it so amazing that we went for a second time this past spring You can see photos and read about it in my TR 29 Days in Glorious Greece Enjoy your time in Greece.
Old Sep 5th, 2022, 01:02 PM
Original Poster

Thank you everyone for your help, much appreciated!
Old Sep 21st, 2022, 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by laurenkoenig2732
Thank you everyone for your help, much appreciated!
A little late on this, but I'll post a response any for future reference.

As someone who's family comes from the area, I can't recommend the Delphi area highly enough - balanced as it is against the fact I've been to Aegina and think that the island is worth the visit just to walk through the main temple there.

Here's the thing though - don't just visit Delphi, which has an amazing setting on the slopes of Mt. Parnassus. Nearby is one of the best kept secrets in Greece - except among Athenians - and that is my father's home town of Galaxidi, which sits on the gulf of Corinth and is arguably the prettiest seaside village on the mainland - go check out the pictures online. It's only an hour's drive or so from Delphi and is the idea destination to stop over for the night - or two - after visiting Delphi. The town of Arochova, which is on the Athens side of Delphi, is also worth a visit on your way back. I lived there for a time as a child, and in those days it was simply a sleepy little mountain village best known for its textiles and olives. These days it's the premier axis point to the ski fields on Parnassus. It's worth a walk through the precipitous streets, as well as the walk up to the church for the sweeping views down to the gulf of Corinth.

Last edited by timbowilderbeeste062; Sep 21st, 2022 at 10:55 PM.
Old Sep 23rd, 2022, 12:35 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
There is no place comparable to Delphi.
Old Sep 27th, 2022, 07:03 AM
Original Poster

Thanks again - I did end up doing the Delphi tour, which was spectacular, and I can't wait to go back to explore more of the surrounding area (and will definitely keep Galaxidi in mind).