Search

Denver Colorado

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13th, 2022, 03:10 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Denver Colorado

Hi All
I am going to travel to Denver in September. My plan is to see a baseball game, Garden of Gods, Red Rock amphitheater and the Rocky Mountain Park. My question is I want to book a hotel in Denver for the 4 days I’ll be there and travel to visit the sights outside Denver. Should I instead look to stay closer to the other sites on the days of the visit?Any suggestions or opinions?
thanks
Maria
Old Aug 13th, 2022, 03:39 PM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
Rocky Mountain National Park is a 90 minute drive from Denver each way, and then you'll need time in the park. What do you hope to do while there? You'll need a timed entry permit, which means planning very well. Personally, I'd not do this as a day trip from Denver. I'd spend at least a night in Estes Park or environs.

https://www.nps.gov/romo/index.htm

Garden of the Gods is 60-90 minutes from Denver depending on where you're coming from and in good traffic...and traffic is seldom good these days. I live in CO and make this drive more than I'd like - it takes the better part of a day to drive to Denver for a doctor's appointment, have lunch and drive back.

Red Rocks is doable from Denver, but I never quite understand why people are so interested in it, unless they're there to see a concert. You might get your fill of red rocks there and not want to travel to Garden of the Gods.

It's a lot of driving for four days...not my idea of a good holiday.
Old Aug 14th, 2022, 09:40 AM

Received 13 Likes on 2 Posts
I agree with Mel. That's too much driving for only four days. Are two of those days travel in/out days? I assume not.

Red Rocks is a cool geologic and historic site, and a lot of people like to visit it. If you're in town Sept 25, you could see Jackson Browne there. https://www.redrocksonline.com/event...browne-428094/

I'd drop Garden of the Gods.
Instead, you could spend a day driving to Red Rocks in the morning-- go to Boulder for lunch-- then Estes Park to spend the night and next day.
Catch a ballgame before or after.

Old Aug 14th, 2022, 09:49 AM

Those are all reasonable day trips from Denver even staying in the downtown area. Red Rocks is hardily more than an hour stop and it would be easy to combine the Red Rocks at the end of the RMNP loop and then dinner in Morrison. Garden of Gods is going to be mostly a day.

One thought might be is to go directly to Estes Park on arrival in Colorado. The next day drive through RMNP via Trail Ridge Road. later that afternoon catch Red Rocks and continue in the direction of Colorado Springs. Lots of motel options along that route. Do the Garden of the Gods the next day and return to downtown Denver that afternoon, dump the car because you don't need it. See the ball game, and spend a couple days in and around downtown Denver, and catch the train to the airport. Between car fees and not paying to park the car you probably saving at least one nights lodging in Denver and maybe two.
Old Aug 14th, 2022, 02:19 PM

How many nights do you have in Colorado?
Old Aug 15th, 2022, 02:23 AM

The loop that Fmden suggests is what I would do in that time frame and see a beautiful part of Colorado.
Old Aug 16th, 2022, 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by Gretchen
The loop that Fmden suggests is what I would do in that time frame and see a beautiful part of Colorado.
A lot of driving, though.
Old Aug 17th, 2022, 02:47 AM

In 4 days it isn't so bad. I would do the loop but stay overnight in the mountains, probably Frisco after driving through the Park. The ball game seems to be the idea of those here, not the OP so that could be dropped.
Just viewing the red rock formations near the theater is beautiful.
I'm not a big fan of Garden of the Gods so that would also be negotiable for me if something else would be a draw--even spending time in Denver at the Art Museum
Old Aug 17th, 2022, 08:56 AM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
From the OP:

My plan is to see a baseball game, Garden of Gods, Red Rock amphitheater and the Rocky Mountain Park.
Old Aug 17th, 2022, 10:58 AM

...A lot of driving, though.... Yes, but less than if doing day trips from Denver. And it is a fairly efficient loop.
Old Aug 18th, 2022, 03:49 AM

Ah, I did miss that. Thanks.
Old Aug 20th, 2022, 09:04 AM

Did the OP ever come back to comment?
Old Aug 23rd, 2022, 04:53 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for all this information. I have been away and had no internet. You all have some great suggestions .
​​​​​​.
Old Aug 23rd, 2022, 01:30 PM
Original Poster

4 but day one is travel
Old Aug 23rd, 2022, 01:32 PM
Original Poster

I have reread all your suggestions and am planning to do them rather that drive from Denver each day, which the hotels are expensive in Denver. I’ll post what I think will work and hope you all will give me your suggestions on if it is doable
Old Aug 24th, 2022, 01:39 AM

Look at hotels.com for hotels. And while midtown hotels may be expensive hotels in the Tech Center in south Denver may not be expensive and offer easy access to the interstates south and west. NOT suggesting you do the day trips but if you need a Denver hotel, look at those areas. There are also suite hotels which would suit your family.
Old Aug 24th, 2022, 05:21 PM

There are a string of chain hotels along south I-25. The light rail also runs along I-25 so it would be easily accessed from any of the hotels along that route. And through August all of RTD - buses, train - is free.
Old Aug 27th, 2022, 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by mrb2040
I have reread all your suggestions and am planning to do them rather that drive from Denver each day, which the hotels are expensive in Denver. I’ll post what I think will work and hope you all will give me your suggestions on if it is doable
Sounds good
Old Sep 6th, 2022, 06:32 PM
Original Poster

Hi again
i have taken your advice and will go from the Denver airport to Estes Place. Question… there is a tram in Estes Place.. your thoughts? Just recovered from knee replacement so hiking is out.Is trail ridge road really busy on Saturdays? Is there anything I should know about it. I haven’t done the time stamp yet.
Old Sep 6th, 2022, 07:11 PM
Original Poster

Hi again.. I was autocorrected. it’s Estes Park not place.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -