Last 2 days in Portugal - with a CAR

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25th, 2022, 09:47 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, we're car-less for most of the trip, but the latter part is in Porto, and we have to fly home from Lisbon. So my husband wanted to spend our last day in Porto driving into the Douro Valley. And then we thought we could drive on our last day, down the coast back to Lisbon, stopping at a few points along the way. Then we'll ditch the car, and stay at a hotel near the airport. So two questions:

1) Any trips for driving through the Douro Valley (other than 'don't do it'?). What are the best places to stop? I'm really avoiding group tours because of COVID this trip, it's why I like the idea of a car trip just the 2 of us.

2) Is the coastal drive a good idea? If so, recommendations on where to stop would be welcome. (Since we won't see Cascais when we go to Sintra, maybe we could do that as part of this drive).

Thanks as always,
Alice
Old Apr 25th, 2022, 09:52 AM

Just a couple of questions so that I can understand the plan better--

Will you have the car just for the Dour day, return to Porto with the car at the end of the day, keeping the car in a garage and on the next day, drive down to Lisbon?

Or are you departing Porto, plan to overnight in the Douro then on the next day make your way back to Lisbon?
Old Apr 25th, 2022, 09:54 AM
Original Poster

The former - we'll sleep in Porto that night and head for Lisbon the next day.

Thanks! Alice
Old Apr 25th, 2022, 11:14 AM

Thanks for the clarification.

Just some items to consider for your Douro day.

1. Where you'll pick up the rental car---while we've picked up a car at Campanha rail station to head to the Douro, it's not as easy to return a car to a Porto center city garage.

2. Where are you staying in Porto and does your lodging have handy nearby parking? (hotel with a garage?)
In general we find this true after almost 50 years of European city driving;
picking up from a center city location and heading OUT of the city is always easier than returning it to a center city location, especially during rush hours. Porto is not a city where I enjoy driving at all and avoid it at all costs.

3. Coming from the north, it will be easier as in simpler/quicker to return the car to the Lisbon airport, as you simply follow the airplane icon on the autoroute signs that will lead you to it. And you'll be spending your last night at an airport hotel. There may be a one-way drop off fee. And the price of rental cars has recently increased considerably, as has the price of fuel.

4. The Douro day drive will be a long one, an 8-10 hour day. For example, many small group tours pick up participants at 8:30 and return at 6:30.
It's hard to do the Douro day in under 8 hours unless you just drive to Mesão Frio, at the beginning of the valley, in the Baixo Corgo, and back. The most dramatic scenery lies further east.

5. If you're not interested in taking a winery tour, a big attraction in the Douro, you can just drive as far east as (Peso da) Régua, have lunch there, either in town or at a winery, then back, perhaps through pretty Amarante.
The more ambitious drive would be to continue on from Régua on the narrow and quite famous N22 through the Cima Corgo, further east to tiny Pinhão simply for the most stunning scenery.
Then drive back to Porto by driving north from Pinhão through Sabrosa to connect to the fast toll road, A 4 back to Porto. But.... these back roads in the Douro, while incredibly scenic, are extremely time consuming, Douro native drivers are impatient and will want to pass you on this 2- lane highway, and it's not easy on the uninitiated. This is why most people either take a boat/train combo (wouldn't be my choice) or do a small group tour or private tour.

6. The alternative to all this slow going self- driving would be to use a private driver, Taxi Tavares, for your day. He's been recommended on TA. But I understand you want to keep a car to have to make your way back to Lisbon. https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g1028273-d17396603-Reviews-Taxi_Tavares-Peso_Da_Regua_Vila_Real_District_Northern_Portugal .html

Just so you'll know what the self-drive Douro Valley day entails.

From Porto to Lisbon via the coast depends on where you wish to stop or how many stops--Aveiro, Figueira da Foz, Nazaré, Peniche, Ericeira?
With just a short stop in Aveiro, www.viamichelin.com estimates it would take 4 hours, driving time w/o the stop. I find Michelin more accurate than Google, but still add some extra time.

Just some items to ponder.
Hope this helps!

Last edited by Maribel; Apr 25th, 2022 at 11:34 AM.
Old Apr 25th, 2022, 12:55 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, Maribel, much to ponder. We're staying at the Infante Sagres, Michelin says self service parking (charges apply). Your first suggestion, the less ambitious one is definitely worth considering. I think we can skip a winery tour, but a lunch at a winery would be lovely. We'll see how my 'driver' feels about it, I'll leave it up to him.

Good to know about driving to the airport to return the car - the car is rented, can't do much about the cost of fuel Thanks for the suggestions of places to visit. I agree about Via MIchelin, I use them for my European traveling mileage/time estimates.

This trip is starting to come together! More work to do, but there's time. Thanks again for being so very helpful.

Alice

Last edited by Alice9; Apr 25th, 2022 at 12:59 PM.
Old Apr 25th, 2022, 01:01 PM

A drive down the coast is slow going, it would take more than a day if you are to see anything of the coast or even the inland sights such as Obidos, Alcobaça and Batalha.

https://flic.kr/p/2gwPW5N https://flic.kr/p/2gx7CeC https://flic.kr/p/2gx9SmY https://flic.kr/p/7Rqu3L
Perhaps you should drive to Pinhão, and then drive from there to Viseu for an overnight stop or maybe Tomar. From Tomar it is only one and a half hour drive to the airport.

https://flic.kr/p/7NuHb5 https://flic.kr/p/7RqvD9 https://flic.kr/p/7NuJ2U

Last edited by Michael; Apr 25th, 2022 at 01:23 PM.
Old Apr 25th, 2022, 02:03 PM

You don't have an overnight for Viseu or Tomar between the Douro and Lisbon airport, correct?
This is a one day drive from Porto (not the Douro), along the coast to Lisbon airport, right?

If you do decide to take the coastal route on that drive from the Infante Sagres (great hotel!! I love it and it's been just beautifully redone) to the Lisbon airport, it is indeed slow going if you plan more than 1 stop.

If you choose just to stop in Aveiro for a look around and lunch, it isn't on the coast, but it does have the two canals (called a "mini Venice" with brightly painted moliceiro boats) and some interesting Art Nouveau buildings.

Or...there are many tempting, smaller surfer/"big wave" towns (Nazaré, Peniche, Ericeira) on the coast along the way if you choose just one or two.

So to see a bit of these coastal towns and coastal scenery (not to tour monuments like Batalha or Alcobaça), I think you'd be better off just choosing 1 or 2 that sit south of Aveiro, closer to the airport. Ericeira is a delightful seaside town, very close to the airport, about 40 minutes. I assume you'll want to turn your car in there in the evening before dark?

As for the shorter version of the Douro, you can take the speedy toll routes, A4 through the long São Marão tunnel to just east of Vila Real and then the A 24 down south to Régua (90 minutes). Those 2 toll roads are quite scenic (and safe) and you'll have them practically to yourselves!
Once n Régua, you could have lunch at the Quinta da Pacheca Wine House Hotel, just across the river. The dining room is gorgeous, quite elegant, decorated with lovely green Bordallo Pinheiro ceramics and the traditional food served there really memorable. We've taken guests there who have loved it. Then back to Porto from Régua via the N101 through Mesão Frio to catch the speedy toll A4 at Amarante back to Porto.

https://quintadapacheca.com/pages/book-a-table

Last edited by Maribel; Apr 25th, 2022 at 02:09 PM.
Old Apr 25th, 2022, 02:49 PM

My impression is that the OP foresaw one day trip up the Douro and then a drive from Porto to the Lisbon airport.
Old Apr 25th, 2022, 06:11 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, Michael, but our itinerary is set, and we just have the one day to get from Porto to Lisbon.

Beautiful photos!

Alice
Old Apr 25th, 2022, 06:20 PM
Original Poster

Maribel, you are correct, no time for an overnight, a one day drive. I'm so pleased to hear that you know and love our hotel, it looks gorgeous in the photos, and seems like it's in a good location.

I agree that 1 or 2 stops is probably just right, and I will look south of Aveiro, as you suggest, and will check out Ericeira. We'll probably have had our fill of monuments at that point, seems a shame not to enjoy the coast. And yes, we'll get the car back before dark, so we can get to the hotel and get ourselves together for the trip home.

Thanks so much for the Douro drive restaurant recommendation, sounds perfect, and scenic and safe is just my speed.

Now I have to figure out when and where to get a COVID test before going home, I hope that's not a problem being on the move our last day...

Thanks again, you do know everything about Portugal!

Alice
Old Apr 25th, 2022, 06:40 PM

The Infante Sagres has a great location, indeed.

I mentioned Ericeira and the other seaside towns north of it because we're headed there in October to spend a week on the Silver Coast before heading north to Porto, Braga and the Douro. The Silver Coast is quite "in vogue" these days and is very scenic, relaxing and restful.

Old Apr 26th, 2022, 08:08 AM
Original Poster

Well, we do like to be in vogue, even if by accident! You know, we've been to France multiple times and Italy multiple times... maybe Portugal will become one of those places we return to. I hope so.

I'm still upset at having lost several years of travel, and feel a great urge to make up for lost time.

Alice
Old Apr 26th, 2022, 08:19 AM

Yes, I know the upset of having lost those years of travel.
You can read more about the Silver Coast here-

https://www.theguardian.com/travel/2...c-coast-aveiro

https://costadeprata.info/en/

https://www.portugalvisitor.com/portugal-city-guides/costa-prata-guide

Last edited by Maribel; Apr 26th, 2022 at 08:27 AM.
Old Apr 26th, 2022, 11:38 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, Maribel, I will definitely check out those links.

And I JUST played mah jongg IN PERSON for the first time in 3 years. SO fun to BE with people.

Alice
Old Apr 26th, 2022, 07:56 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
Alice, we loved our stay at the Infante de Sagres, excellent service, wonderful dining room. Enjoy!
Old Apr 27th, 2022, 08:00 AM
Original Poster

HappyTrvlr, thanks so much, I love hearing that other travelers enjoy the hotels I've chosen! You can only trust the reviews on the travel sites so far...

Alice
Old Apr 27th, 2022, 08:57 AM

Agree with Maribel on Ericeira. A very doable 3 hour drive from Porto (passing right by Aveiro for a quick 1 hour look- see at the canals and gondolas-maybe a quick lunch. We fell in love with Ericeira several years ago and have returned 3 times since our first visit. Just a real laid back beautiful village on the ocean with narrow vehicle free lanes, beautiful village squares all dressed in white and blue, numerous cafes, restaurants, shops ect...and very very few tourists. Ericeira has five different beaches heading North from the town square. All connected by a wonderful hiking trail along the coast with incredible scenic views. Its referred to as the "surfing coast of Europe: for its famous waves. As Maribel noted-Lisbon airport is a short 40 minute drive from Ericeira.
Old Apr 27th, 2022, 03:20 PM
Original Poster

Thanks mike1728! I did a little research on Ericeira and it looks wonderful and a perfect place to spend some time on our last whole day in Portugal. The 'very very few tourists' is great, acknowledging however that... we're tourists. But we very much like to go to places most tourists don't. For this first trip to Portugal, we felt compelled to spend time in Lisbon and Porto, with a few day trips. But NEXT time...

Alice
Old Apr 27th, 2022, 03:24 PM

I'm happy that mike1728 also endorsed Ericeira as a very nice place to spend some quiet time before your departure. We're planning a week's stay on the Silver Coast in October and mike has described Ericeira perfectly for you.