Search

NC / SC trip

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18th, 2022, 05:28 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NC / SC trip

guys - I've been to Florida a few times and now looking to explore the NC and SC area for a 12 day trip. I could do just one base and do day trips within a 2 hour drive or I could break between 2 bases. We like open-air natural beauty or if it' a city, find a cute neighborhood cafe and people watch, leisurely stroll in a park, eat at some select restaurants that locals flock to (love seafood), check out outdoor farmers/flea markets and pick up good produce for home-cooked meals, open-air music and festivals and of course mix in a little bit of play areas for kids which are often found in parks or indoor places. We like authentic vs trendy and don't care at all about big shopping meccas except bringing back some spices, etc from markets locals shop at

So far, I've narrowed down Asheville and looking for more ideas. If you suggest a city/town or even countryside location, some ideas of day trips around it would help too since we are hoping there is enough things to see/do to keep us busy for 6 days at a single base

Thank you!
Old Apr 18th, 2022, 05:53 AM

Charlotte would be worthy. We have really fine museums (look up the Bechtler) with very special collections.. . Nearby is Latta Plantation, a country house from the 1700s There is dining from Diners Driveins and Dives to really terrific 3 star types.
in an hour and a half you could visit Seagrove and its potteries (maybe 60 to choose from!!) some dating from the late 1700s. In another 1.5 hours visit Winston Salem and Old Salem.
And Then do not miss Charleston. In addition to that historic city venture 1.5 hours north and visit Georgetown/Pawley's Island for the day. Georgetown is a Revolutionary War town. Pawley's Island is where the rice planters from Charleston went to escape the malarial mosquitoes in surmmer. There is also the Hobcaw Barony just outside Georgetown.
Seafood--oh yes. There are plantations, bird sancturaries, Beaufort is nearby another treasure.
If you are flying to wherever you could nicely do the three--Charlotte is a major hub. Stay a few days, drive to Asehville (2 hours), then Charleston and back to Charlotte (3.5 hours)
Be sure to have some BBQ SOMEWHERE. Rodney Scott in Charleston may be the best choice.

Last edited by Gretchen; Apr 18th, 2022 at 05:57 AM.
Old Apr 20th, 2022, 04:20 AM

From Asheville you could do day trips into Smokey Mt NP and also do parts of the Blue Ridge Parkway. You could probably fill up 6 days if you don't need a lot to "do". I think the coast has more to offer (or you could do each for 6 days, but it's a several hour drive between them). The "Low Country" includes Charleston, Beaufort and I think also Savannah, GA. You could probably fill up the whole 12 days in that area, but I'd still probably do two bases even though they are only a couple hours apart.
Old Apr 20th, 2022, 02:21 PM

I guess I would have two bases (six days each): Asheville and Beaufort, SC. Otherwise you will be spending several hours driving each day. Beaufort is 1.5 hours from Charleston and 1 hour from Savannah. Asheville is close to Great Smoky Mts. National Park, Mt. Mitchell State Park (highest point east of the Mississippi), Black Mountain, Lake Lure, and Hendersonville.
Old Apr 20th, 2022, 02:34 PM
Original Poster

Thanks guys - some solid plans and most likely will go through with this 2 base idea!
Old May 22nd, 2022, 05:27 AM

Hoping to read trip report on your adventures.

If you have enough time, visit the Biltmore in Asheville. It was much more of an art and nature experience than I expected. If you are on the road from Asheville heading south, a great quick stop is the Carl Sandburg Home at Flat Rock, North Carolina. And if somehow you are on the west side of the Smokies, Cades Cove in TN is wonderful, well worth a day.
Old May 23rd, 2022, 05:57 AM

Asheville is a good base . You could make a day trip into the GSMNP and do a nice loop. IMO one day trip would be enough because of the distance and traffic patterns you will enocounter.
Trips up and down the BRP would also be a nice attraction for a day. Don't miss the Applachian Craft Guild shop on the outskirts of Asheville. And of course a trip to Asheville must include a trip to Biltmore. It would be the principal reason for including Asheville. If not interested in that then there are other places closer to the Park or in the Pisgah that would make a good base.
I think I would make Charleston my base. More to do
How are you arriving in the area--flying, driving? It could make a difference in including other areas.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -