How best to plan Evora and the Alentejo

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2nd, 2022, 07:43 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We’ll be going to Evora for 3 nights after Lisbon and will be going to Marvao for one night after that. We will have a car. I’m now seeing so many places I want to visit that I already wish we had more time! So I’m trying to figure out what would be the best places to see to make good use of our time. We will arrive sometime on a Saturday and we’re staying at the ADC. I don’t want to be rushing from place to place, either.

I’d like to see some of the the prehistoric ruins and visit at least one or two of the towns nearby. As we’ll be driving to Marvao after, I wonder which towns would make sense to visit from Evora.I don’t need to see every town, but we do like places with interesting history and ambience. The towns that look most appealing near Evora are 1) Monsaraz, then Elvas, then Estremoz (though Monsaraz looks most appealing).

I’d also like to visit Castelo de Vide, if possible. On our way to Marvao? Leaving Marvao?

How to do this?

Saturday afternoon - explore Evora after arrival
Sunday - Spend all or part of the day in Evora. See the prehistoric ruins and/or visit a town, ie, Monsaraz?
Monday - Day trip to nearby town(s) - visit Monsaraz today instead of previous day or Elvas and/or Estremoz.

If we spend most of Sunday in Evora, would Monsaraz and the prehistoric ruins be a good combination? Monsaraz looks more striking than Estremoz and Elvas looks a bit far for for an easy day trip.

Tuesday - drive to Marvao. Would it make sense to stop in Castelo de Vide before we arrive? I’d love to visit this town but wonder when we should

We drive to Tomar from Marvao and we tend to drive straight to our destination when we leave a place, but would we be better off stopping in Castelo de Vide after Tomar? Or just forget about it?

We only have 2 nights in Tomar so want to make sure we get to spend time there and have time for a good day trip the next day.
Old Apr 2nd, 2022, 07:56 AM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
We loved our time in Evora and it sounds like you have a good plan.If you haven’t booked your hotel, I highly recommend the Pousada there, Pousada Convento de Evora where we had a wonderful stay.
Old Apr 2nd, 2022, 08:25 AM

You re presumably coming from Lisbon. I suggest tht you see the pre-historic sights on the way to Evora, which is what we did. We did miss a couple, but saw two, and that was because of time lost in getting the car and driving out of Lisbon. Try for 8 a.m. to be at the car rental, if that is necessary, and you should be able to make the entire circuit.

This one stands by itself in a field:

https://flic.kr/p/2gqD5iV
And these may be the biggest complex of "structures":

https://flic.kr/p/2gpZuEq https://flic.kr/p/2gqD2KJ
Old Apr 2nd, 2022, 09:17 AM

Hi progol,
Saturday---
fine, see the Cathedral, climb to the top, the excellent Evora Museum, Chapel of Bones, Temple of Diana...

Sunday--
Monsaraz is a picturesque, whitewashed, Moorish-looking frontier fortress town with castle (now empty but where bullfights were once held), but to my eyes, not quite as pretty or as dramatically perched as Marvão, the eagles' nest, so you don't necessarily need to see them both unless you really want to. But Monsaraz does overlook the Alqueva dam, the largest man made lake in Europe. We took our friends to both, and they were more impressed with Marvão in the Serra de São Mamede (more mountainous, more dramatic), which we combined with truly charming Castelo de Vide. It's an hour's drive east to Monsaraz from the ADC (you're going to love this hotel!).

On the way to Monsaraz, you'll pass dolmens and the Xarez cromlech in Telheiro, but I think the most interesting megalithic site in Alentejo is the Cromlech dos Almendres, near Nossa Senhora de Guadalupe, just a few kms. west of Evora, so I wouldn't miss it. Unless you can stop and see it on the way into Evora on Saturday, I would do it today. Monsaraz, BTW, gets very busy on weekends, as it's a popular bus tour excursion.

https://www.visitevora.net/en/almend...lech-portugal/.

Monday--I wouldn't miss Estremoz, the marble town with castle-pousada perched atop it or whitewashed Elvas with its 15th century star shaped fortress, medieval walls and aqueduct, sitting at the Spain border, to go to Monsaraz. As to which to choose, Estremoz or Elvas, I think there's a bit more to see in Elvas. Both could be combined on the same day, visiting Estremoz first, then on east to Elvas, if you can get an "early" start. The drive from Elvas back to Evora and the ADC (a hotel I love) on the fast toll road A6, would take an hour.

Tuesday--please, please stop in medieval, highly atmospheric, whitewashed Castelo de Vide on your way to Marvão. It's the "hidden gem" of the Alto Alentejo. It also has a 13th c. castle built by King Dom Denis, surrounded by a little settlement of houses and an interesting little synagogue in its former Judiaria (it was an important Jewish settlement after 1492 when the Jews fled Spain), and the little synagogue is supposedly the oldest surviving one in Portugal, plus a very attractive, well kept central square, Praça do Comércio. It's just a delightful, attractive town, one of the prettiest you'll see in the Alentejo, with fantastic views from the castle. You'll have time to stop here on your drive from Evora to Marvão.
(We did Evora-Castelo de Vide-Marvão-late lunch in Portalegre-back to Evora in one long day with our friends.)

https://www.redejudiariasportugal.co...astelo-de-vide.

Wednesday--
The drive from Marvão to Tomar on the toll road A23 should take a little over 90 minutes. Before checking into our Tomar hotel we did stop on a little detour to visit the Templars' castle of Almoural sitting on an island atop the Tagus river (access by quick boat ride across the river). To reach the castle you actually will drive through a military installation.
https://www.centerofportugal.com/poi/castle-of-almourol.
The next morning you can head up to Convento de Cristo (hope they have more audio guides available now) for lots and lots of photos!

Hope this helps to give you some ideas.
P.S.
We have the new Bradt guide to the Alentejo, which is the best resource I've found on this, my favorite region in Portugal.
https://www.bradtguides.com/destinat...rope/alentejo/.

Last edited by Maribel; Apr 2nd, 2022 at 09:41 AM.
Old Apr 2nd, 2022, 09:24 AM

This is soooo funny, I came here to post questions about our 2 full days dedicated to day trips outside Evora, and what do I see? Your post 🤣🤣🤣
I have the same dilemma, but I have another option to consider: a cork farm tour: Alentejo farm for Agro-tourism | Herdade da Maroteira
I don't know if to start a new post (we'll have more time than you do, 2 full days), and I'm trying to prioritize and decide between these 4: Monsaraz, the cork farm, Estremoz and Elvas. Like you, we don't need to see all of them, and I feel like the cork farm is something unique to the area. They offer 2 hrs walk or jeep tour, or a Corktrekking Experience Pack, which sounds like a full day thing. Has anyone done that? Any personal experience?
From the other 3, Monsaraz and Elvas seem more interesting, but probably too much to see them both in one day. So...what to do?

Progol, if you want me to start a separate post, let me know, I won't be offended. Otherwise, I'll stay here.
Old Apr 2nd, 2022, 09:28 AM

xyz99,
I would do the cork trekking jeep tour, although I haven't done it yet, as it's something unique to Alentejo, the largest producer. You shouldn't try to combine Monsaraz and Elvas on the same day, as they're not on the same route. Elvas is north of Monsaraz.
Old Apr 2nd, 2022, 09:39 AM

Thanks, Maribel. So to be clear, do you suggest the 2 hr jeep tour or the full day Corktrekking Experience Pack, which has Jeep Tour + Lunch + Winery Visit + Wine Tasting + Iberian black pork and cheese tasting and is probably a full day thing?
If the 2 hr tour, we might be able to combine it with Monsaraz - is this doable? Or should we do the full day at the cork farm because it's so unique?

The 2nd day: should we try to combine Estremoz and Elvas, or decide on one and enjoy that?

After Evora (ADC was full for our days, so we're staying at the Pousada), our next stop for the night is Monsanto. We'll spend the day touring Marvao on the way there. Would we have time for Castelo de Vide?
Old Apr 2nd, 2022, 09:53 AM

On 2nd day, with an early start you can combine Estremoz and Elvas.

Withe the 2 hour tour you can combine it with Monsaraz. For wine, you can stop on the way back to Evora at Herdade de Esporão outside of Regenos de Monsaraz for purchasing or tasting wine and olive oil at their shop. Esporão produces some very fine wines and is a beautiful estate. We've taken their tour and dined in their restaurant with a lovely outdoor terrace.

https://www.esporao.com/en/winetouri...de-do-esporao/

I've also stayed at the Pousada and you'll be happy there. I once did a fam tour of all of the Pousadas of the Alentejo, except for Beja, which is still on my list.

About Marvão plus Castelo de Vide on the way to Monsanto---I would try, if only to see it for an hour, it's so picturesque and makes the "prettiest villages of Portugal" lists. Again, the toll roads are the way to travel efficiently in Portugal (sometimes you'll have them all to yourself!), so I would take the A23 from Marvão to Monsanto, which will take you about 2 hours.
Old Apr 2nd, 2022, 10:10 AM

Good ideas, Maribel, thanks. And once again, I think we need more time in Portugal 😱
The Herdade de Esporão looks really nice, and it would add the olive oil experience to wine(s) and cork.
Old Apr 2nd, 2022, 10:25 AM

"I think we need more time in Portugal". Me too! 😱

progol,
A cute & cozy restaurant serving traditional Portuguese fare in Castelo De Vide is A Confraria at R. de Santa Maria de Baixo 10. Also there's CHOCOLATE and coffee at the cute Toca do Chocolate at R. Mousinho da Silveira 14, on the way to the castle.

​​​​​​​The cuisine of the Alentejo is wonderful and hearty. Portions for one can easily serve two (as is the case in most of Portugal).
Old Apr 2nd, 2022, 11:39 AM

And now she adds CHOCOLATE to the mix 😱😱😱
Old Apr 2nd, 2022, 11:54 AM

I'm bad, I know.
Old Apr 2nd, 2022, 12:14 PM
Original Poster

<<"I think we need more time in Portugal". Me too! 😱>>

Maribel, no fair! You have a head start over xyz and me! We’re struggling with our 4weeks! I want more time, too! 😉 Fortunately, your head start is a plus for the rest of us!

xyz, please do NOT start another thread! This is SO helpful! But now I’m thinking of the cork farm (2 hour tour only). And yes, that CHOCOLATE is another big incentive to visit Castelo De Vide!

HappyTrvlr, thank you for the suggestion of the Pousada. We are staying at the Albergario do Calvario. the name is quite long so I shortened it to ADC, which is much easier to write!

Michael, thank you for that suggestion to leave early from Lisbon, but I’m afraid that will never happen! We will more likely go straight to Evora, but I’ll leave it as a possibility thst we might stop on the way. The site that appeals the most is the one that Maribel mentioned, Cromlech dos Almendres. If we don’t visit it on Saturday, we will visit it on Sunday.

Maribel, and thank you for all that great feedback! I may eliminate Monsaraz since it’s similar to Marvao and not as dramatic. So now thinking along the lines of….

Saturday - arrive Evora, explore the town (possibly visit megalith site(s) on the way
Sunday - More Evora, possible cork tour, Megaliths (Cromlech dos Almendres)
Monday - Elvas and Estremoz, if my husband is up for the drive!
Tuesday - stop in Castelo De Vide on the way to Marvao

Maribel, your point about busy weekends reminds me of trying to park in some of the Pueblos Blancos In Andalucia on a Sunday. Not fun! It might be a good idea to avoid a very popular town like Monsaraz on a Sunday.

Thank you, thank you, thank you everyone!

Last edited by progol; Apr 2nd, 2022 at 12:52 PM.
Old Apr 2nd, 2022, 12:56 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Maribel
I'm bad, I know.
You’re leading us all to he!l! ***

***keeping it safe here just in case I offend

Last edited by progol; Apr 2nd, 2022 at 12:59 PM.
Old Apr 2nd, 2022, 01:07 PM

After trying to put together the best puzzle, yes, I'm still left with pieces that do not fit. Hence, I need more time! But here is what I have for now:

Tue - drive to Evora from Lagos, Evora for lunch and afternoon
Wed - more Evora, cork farm (2 hr tour, maybe with lunch there) and Cromlech dos Almendres; we'll skip Monsaraz. If lunch not at the cork farm, any interesting place in the neighborhood?
Thu - Elvas (town, castle, fort, aqueduct), and if any time and stamina left, a quick stop in Estremoz
Fri - drive to Monsanto with stops in Marvao and Castelo De Vide. I wish we had more time here...

Thank you all, so many ideas here....so many places, so little time...
Old Apr 2nd, 2022, 01:11 PM

Cromlech dos Almendres was the second site we visited, the one with the information board. The area lies WSW of Evora, in other words, with a little detour, between Lisbon and Evora, whereas the other Alentejo sites tend to be East and NE.
Old Apr 2nd, 2022, 01:14 PM

Yes, Monsaraz has become very popular with the bus tours, both from Evora and from across the border in Spain. Fewer visitors make it up to Marvão in the Serra da Mamede, although it's also on the Spanish border. Both are strategically perched fortress towns, but I personally find Marvão more appealing, probably because it's less touristed and at a higher elevation. I love mountain top towns. Marvão will be wonderfully quiet at night.
Castelo de Vide and Marvão are only 4 miles apart, so they are an easy combo. Marvão also had a significant Jewish history.

Here's a bit more about Marvão-
https://juliedawnfox.com/marvao-cast...ieval-village/.
Old Apr 2nd, 2022, 01:38 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, Michael, that’s helpful. We will definitely get to Cromlech dos Almendres and perhaps others, but that one seems to be the most notable one.

Maribel, oh, Marvão looks fantastic. I’m so looking forward to it!

Maribel, now back to Tomar. After Marvao, we travel to Tomar. I’ve noted the Templars’ Castle of Almours that you mentioned above, and it looks fabulously sited. But we have only 2 nights in Tomar and had hoped to visit the monasteries at Batalha and Alcobaça on the one full day in Tomar. Will we have time to see them or do I need to prioritize one over the other? I’ve read that Alcobaça is generally the one people seem to like more, but they all seem grand and important!. And, I don’t want to burn out on these magnificent but overwhelming structures by running from one to the next. Any suggestions how to handle the sites here?
Old Apr 2nd, 2022, 01:45 PM

I hope she says "no problem" because I have the same plan.
Old Apr 2nd, 2022, 01:53 PM

progol and xyz99,
On to Tomar! I forgot that you have 1 full day in Tomar, so I assume you'll visit the Convento de Cristo on arrival day?

As to Batalha or Alcobaça or both from Tomar...I think you can do them both. I always go to the furthest one first, then make my way back to my home port.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -