Search

Hilton Head Island, SC

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7th, 2022, 05:55 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hilton Head Island, SC

Hi,

I'm looking for recommendations for a mid week mother/daughter get away later this month. We would like to see the island as a local might. Nature, the arts, restaurants etc. Any recommendations? We would like spa services as well. Not sure if it is worth it to stay at one of the big resorts, they seem pretty pricey, but the convenience of beach front and spa might be worth it. As it is off season, seems like there is a lot of availability. I'd love to hear your thoughts for local color.

Thanks!
Old Mar 8th, 2022, 02:01 AM

Not sure Hilton Head or SC beaches have an "off" season--they are golf meccas. Personally I would choose another beach entirely for the things you desire. HH is not a "local" place--it is a huge housing development by the ocean.
Go to Edisto or Folly Dafuskie,or even Wild Dunes. Or Pawley's Island further up the coast.
Old Mar 8th, 2022, 05:36 AM
Original Poster

Hmmm thank you, I am looking for an easy, not to far drive from Charleston where we will be visiting relatives. We want beautiful pristine beaches, a pool (heated), and some activities. My daughter is very pregnant, so nothing very physically exerting. I'd love to hear your thoughts, but I'll look those locations up.

Melissa
Old Mar 8th, 2022, 06:42 AM

Not much nature left on Hilton Head but nearby Hunting Island State Park has lots of nature. It is a 5,000-acre semi-tropical island which features miles of pristine, uncrowded white sand beaches, miles of hiking trails through maritime forest, fishing and a nature center. No lodging on the island but only 25 minutes away is Beaufort which has lovely antebellum homes and trees dripping with Spanish moss and a fairly lively downtown with restaurants and shops.
Old Mar 8th, 2022, 06:42 AM

Just so you know, Hilton Head is about a 2 hour drive from Charleston. By contrast, Folly Beach is about a 20 minute drive, Wild Dunes is about a 30 minute drive, Edisto is about an hour and Pawley's is a 90 minute drive - so all are closer and easier to get to from Charleston than Hilton Head.

Wild Dunes offers everything you are seeking.
Old Mar 8th, 2022, 07:33 AM

I'm glad others can fill you in on other places that are truly FAR more interesting than HH. The addition of "island" to its name conjures something that is really not there, IMO. It has zero ambience/soul, also IMO. LOL
Old Mar 9th, 2022, 02:08 PM
Original Poster

Beach areas outside Charleston inMarch

Hi all,

I got it! Hilton Head is very commercial and built up, I'll forget Hilton Head...

Sticking closer to Charleston, maybe Isle of Palms or Folly's Beach or other recommendations, Who has the most of a year round town, less commercial & built up, most natural beaches to walk on, maybe dunes etc. I will be there March 21-26, so it will be to cold for all the wonderful warm weather activities, but still want to get the flavor of the area.

I so appreciate all your help!

Melissa
Old Mar 9th, 2022, 02:11 PM
Original Poster

In looking I think we would like the amenities of Wild Dunes Resort, but I like the local town feel of Folly's Beach. But what's open in March?
Old Mar 10th, 2022, 02:22 AM

Everything will be open. March is a great month and with our recent worm weather may even begin the spring flowers. In NC we are already getting the spring flowering trees--plums, cherries, redbud. Daffodils are waving to us.
We'll be at our beach place that week in Litchfield--looking forward to it. Sunny days on the beach. Not swimming however. Good food at the restaurants.
By the way since you mention dunes, you cannot walk on them.

Last edited by Gretchen; Mar 10th, 2022 at 02:26 AM.
Old Mar 10th, 2022, 08:00 AM
Original Poster

I am aware that in many places you can not walk on the dunes due to the erosion, but I find that visually the dunes can add a barrier to seeing civilization. I'm not as fond of seeing high rise buildings at the edge of the beach. Great tip on the flowers, an gardens in the area?

Melissa
Old Mar 11th, 2022, 02:34 AM

Uhhhh, dunes are a very necessary part of beach life--they aren't just a prety face.. We have a first floor condo in an ocean front building and when buying it the first question anyone asksed was "is there a dune in front of it" Fortunately for us there are two. Our porch is on a level just above the top of the dune so not obstructed and quite lovely.
And any oceanfront house WANTS to have a dune.hence the garage is underneath and the house is built high. It's the first line of defense to ocean surge in storms and is the most valuable thing washed away in a storm. We bemoan the past two hurricanes that have come up the SC coast for the erosion of the dunes it has caused. They stayed right along the water's edge so were so destructive.
The gardens will be in Charleston. And in the plantations. Beach sand isn't real great for gardening!!

Last edited by Gretchen; Mar 11th, 2022 at 02:39 AM.
Old Mar 24th, 2022, 03:06 AM

We are currently at the beach in SC and you will indeed enjoy flowers and trees in bloom.