Search

Vermont?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2nd, 2021, 12:22 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vermont?

We’re looking WAY ahead, looking to do a VRBO next sept/oct in Vermont. We live on the west coast, never been back east. I want to see the spectacular fall colors, celebrating end of a cancer journey. Where would you suggest staying? Maybe 2 rentals, 2 weeks each place. We love to hike and wander. Thank you!
Old Oct 2nd, 2021, 12:45 AM

Keep in mind color will vary from north to south and also by elevation. You might want to subscribe to Yankee Magazine Yankee Magazine - New England Today and visit Jeff's website Fall Foliage of New England - New England fall foliage (jeff-foliage.com)
I'm a big fan of Norwich VT which is on the border of NH. The Norwich Farmers Market is on saturdays thru October. There's good food, some of it prepared, music and crafts. I understand the Appalachian Trail goes thru this area so you could have the opportunity to hike there. King Arthur Flour is also in Norwich if you like to bake (great store) but also if you like to eat. One advantage of the Norwich area is its proximity to I89 so it's an easy drive if you fly into Manchester NH. Despite being an interstate, it's also a pretty drive. Just across the river in NH is St. Gaudens. The east side of Vermont is the more mountainous side. The west side which features the Lake Champlain Valley has more rolling farmland which has some beautiful vistas. Vermont is definitely a good state for wandering. If you get a copy of the DeLorme Atlas and Gazetteer you'll have detailed roadmaps of the state with a guide to covered bridges. You'll want to know when a road is gravel or paved but in the Fall gravel/dirt isn't really a problem.

Burlington is a beautiful college city on Lake Champlain and features some great restaurants. My second choice to stay would be in the north within easy driving distance of Burlington. We have not done the road trip north to south via the Hero Islands in the fall. Sorry, can't remember the name of a deli/ice cream place with a deck facing Lake Champlain that is popular at sunset.
Old Oct 2nd, 2021, 07:27 AM

I agree with the above post. Vermont (and much of New Hampshire) have some of the most beautiful back roads on the planet. Typically, folks that do a prolonged stay will do some time in New Hampshire's rugged White Mountains, and some time in more bucolic Vermont. However, you could easily do 2 weeks in just Vermont.
If you want foliage, probably plan on very late September into early October, which are the busiest time of the year. For leaf peeping, it would make sense to do the northern part of the state first, then the southern part later. The most popular and visited little towns in Vermont are Woodstock, Stowe, and Manchester - all beautiful, but there are dozens of other very picturesque towns like Chester, Waitsfield, Rochester, Norwich, Craftsbury, etc,etc. As for more urban cities, there are not many - Burlington is by far the nicest.
There are hiking trails, lakes, brew pubs, covered bridges, everywhere.
One other idea - with 2 weeks you might even want to spend a night or two in French speaking southern Quebec for an interesting cultural experience.

Old Oct 2nd, 2021, 10:29 AM

That's a lot of time, the state isn't that big. I think leaf color is usually mid-September to mid-October.
I wouldn't call Manchester beautiful, it's a small town full of designer/expensive label stores, not sure why I guess people who go to Stratton go shopping in Manchester? But the main drag through town where you go by all the stores (Ralph Lauren, TJMaxx, Ugg, Theory, Eileen Fisher, etc. investment companies like Merrill Lynch, etc. is pretty ordinary to me. Maybe it's just become known for shopiping so more moved in. I think there is a lot of money around there. Route 30 running east to Brattleboro is an attractive route, though.
Old Oct 2nd, 2021, 12:43 PM

The train ride from Chester to Ludlow is a relaxing way of seeing the colors. Chester has a nice main street, devoid of national brand stores.

https://flic.kr/p/2hJxUzk
https://flic.kr/p/2hJuddkBrowsing through this album might give you some ideas:

https://flic.kr/s/aHsjoBzLBg

Last edited by Michael; Oct 2nd, 2021 at 12:46 PM.
Old Oct 2nd, 2021, 02:37 PM

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
You would have enough time to take the ferry across the lake to Ticonderoga. My favorite state.
Old Oct 2nd, 2021, 07:23 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I adore Vermont. I used to live there. September/October is a perfect time to visit. I don't really have suggestions for visitors (I lived in the Brattleboro area at the southeast corner of the state). The road from Brattleboro over to Bennington (route 9) is stunning in the fall. Nothing to plan a trip around but if you happen to be in the area, worth it. Also easy to hop over to New Hampshire from Brat.

Enjoy! I would still be living there if the winters were not so darn long and cold.
Old Oct 2nd, 2021, 11:26 PM

Suze, Brattleboro is a good suggestion. I haven't been to their farmers market in a couple of years but I think it's considered one of the best. In Bennington we visited the pottery store but if my husband had been with me he would have chosen Hemmings antique auto car lovers store and Sunoco Station.
Old Oct 3rd, 2021, 08:31 AM

Thank you dfrostnh. I haven't been back to visit in a while. But it is a good central location geographically. Just wasn't sure if it is as "charming" as people might be seeking in a VT town That Brattleboro to Bennington drive on rt 9 is super scenic and not too long for a fun day out. If you do the drive do stop at the Hogback Mountain country store here this will give you an idea of the views... https://www.hogbackmountaincountrystore.com/
Old Oct 4th, 2021, 08:34 AM

This website has lots of good information. It will give you an idea of when foliage colors peak, but of course each year is different.

https://www.foliage-vermont.com

i live in north central Vermont and foliage here is usually best in late, not mid September and early October. Our back road has a lot of color right now. I was just down in the southern part of the state and tbere was very little there
Old Oct 4th, 2021, 11:16 AM

I grew up in northern NJ and a big part of my young person memories are leaf-peeping in CT, MA, VT. As an adult I've returned countless times, ever year for a decade until Covid. I agree with all posts here, but my two cents is BOOK EARLY. You can't believe the number of folks who want to do this too, lodgings will raise the rates too, but don't wait to make a choice for where you'll stay. Like suze, I would have retired there in a heartbeat if it weren't for the winters. Funny we both ended up in Seattle.
Old Oct 4th, 2021, 11:21 AM

The only negative to visitng this area is the weather. Here in the Upper Valley area of NH & VT, haven't seen much more than 1/2 hour of sun in the past week. Feel bad for leaf peepers that were up this past weekend. Even so, it's still beautiful here.
Old Oct 4th, 2021, 02:38 PM

Michael - Oh my !! Thank you so much for the Vermont pics. Darn they made me homesick for Vermont. Must have slipped my mind how beautiful it is there. Your photos really capture the spirit and feel and atmosphere. Again thanks. I still have lots of friends in Brattleboro. I should go visit myself!
Old Oct 4th, 2021, 07:34 PM

I agree with dfrostnh about staying in or near Norwich. My daughter moved there almost 2 years ago, and we love visiting her and her family in Norwich. In fact, we just returned from Norwich last week. We babysat our grandchildren while our daughter and son-in-law took a mini vacation to Lake Placid, NY.

In addition to the places dfrostnh suggests, I recommend visiting Montpelier, the capital of Vermont. It is about an hour's drive from Norwich. It's a small city with nice architecture, independent stores and restaurants, a small Vermont history museum, and the state house. You can do a self-guided tour of the state house. We love shopping at the Vermont Country Store in Rockingham. And from there, Grafton is a lovely village to visit. The scenery is lovely wherever you go. I agree about visiting the Farmers Market on Saturdays and King Arthur Flour store in Norwich. And Hanover, NH is right across the river from Norwich, about a 10-minute drive.

Also Billing Farm in Woodstock is a fun place to visit. If you like history, there are lots of historical sites in Vermont, such as the Calvin Coolidge Historic Site in Plymouth (less than an hour's drive from Norwich).

Here is the link to the Appalachian Trail in Vermont. Part of it goes through Norwich!
https://appalachiantrail.com/places/...ail-community/

Old Oct 4th, 2021, 10:42 PM
Original Poster

Thank you!

I’m very thankful for all of your suggestions! I’m looking forward to a wonderful trip, using all your resources.
Old Oct 5th, 2021, 06:05 AM

Yes Norwich is a very nice little town - I believe it is one of the wealthiest towns in Vt. Dan and Whit's general store is fun to wander through.
Plenty of beautiful little towns in both states around these parts - the 'Upper Valley of NH & Vt' my home turf. No big ski resorts or towering mountains near by, so less tourists.
Old Oct 5th, 2021, 10:28 AM

Oh, how could I forget Dan & Whits! I love going there. They have beautiful and unique greeting cards. I always purchase a few to keep on hand. They are more unique than what you find at a Hallmark store. And a nice wine selection if you drink wine!
Old Oct 6th, 2021, 10:43 AM

About 5 years ago we stayed at Smuggler's Notch Resort. It is a timeshare community but I believe they rent out the unused units. We found it to be a nice location. One day we went up to Montreal and the others we just wondered around. Since the state is not very big it was easy to see everything. Traffic through Stowe was the only drawn back but who is in a hurry when you have wonderful scenery to look at. Don't miss driving down through the Notch on Rt 100.