Port Clinton vs. Put In Bay

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3rd, 2020, 03:27 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Our third (hopefully the charm) planned vacation of the year has run into a snag. After canceling both Britain and Disney, we planned a road trip to Cedar Point in Ohio.

I had booked four nights at The Breakers, followed by two at the Great Wolf Lodge in Sandusky.

The Breakers called me up today to tell me that they were going to be closed the last night of our stay (Mon. 8/31). This leaves me with a dead night in the middle of our vacation. I could probably move Great Wolf, but I don't want to add a third night. We're a party of adults, and while we like waterparks, there are just limits as to how long Great Wolf is going to amuse us.

I did a little research, and it looks like there's a fair amount of vacation type things going on in the general area. Port Clinton caught my eye, and Put In Bay also looks very pleasant (plus my DS and DH are huge ferry fans). Pros? Cons?

We like history, wineries, amusement parks, zoos, and small random shiny things.

I'm quite annoyed with Cedar Point, but I can't make them keep the hotel open, and I know the circumstances aren't normal, and I'm assuming that they had intended to be open when they took my reservation.

We're likely spending a night in Canton to visit a family friend, but we'd planned that for the way home, and we certainly don't want to drive there and then back to Sandusky.
Old Aug 4th, 2020, 07:47 AM

Cedar Point is closed Mon-Thursdays and then from 9/8 onward, I suppose that's why the hotel is closed. It may be open Labor Day holiday, but that date you picked isn't a holiday. Most people don't want to stay there if the park is closed. I presume you are staying there because you wanted to use the park.

I don't really understand your plans. It sounds like you have to move to another hotel for one night no matter what.

Well, there are tons of things you can do if you are going to move anyway. Presuming you really want that wter park, you could go to Toledo for the one night and visit the zoo. You could probably get a chain hotel on the east side near the highway so not that much trouble coming/going back to Wolf Lodge. It's only about 70 miles from Cedar Pt. You could also visit either the Toledo Art Museum (which is excellent) or the Museum of the Great Lakes, both would be in that general area of the zoo. https://nmgl.org/

Put in Bay would be fine, also. Going to Toledo would be a good break from that amusement park stuff. I'm surprised you are doing such things, to be honest, given the situation. Staying in a smaller hotel and visiting a museum is one thing, but spending days in crowded amusement and indoor water parks?
Old Aug 4th, 2020, 12:29 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Christina
Cedar Point is closed Mon-Thursdays and then from 9/8 onward, I suppose that's why the hotel is closed. It may be open Labor Day holiday, but that date you picked isn't a holiday. Most people don't want to stay there if the park is closed. I presume you are staying there because you wanted to use the park.

I don't really understand your plans. It sounds like you have to move to another hotel for one night no matter what.

Well, there are tons of things you can do if you are going to move anyway. Presuming you really want that wter park, you could go to Toledo for the one night and visit the zoo. You could probably get a chain hotel on the east side near the highway so not that much trouble coming/going back to Wolf Lodge. It's only about 70 miles from Cedar Pt. You could also visit either the Toledo Art Museum (which is excellent) or the Museum of the Great Lakes, both would be in that general area of the zoo. https://nmgl.org/

Put in Bay would be fine, also. Going to Toledo would be a good break from that amusement park stuff. I'm surprised you are doing such things, to be honest, given the situation. Staying in a smaller hotel and visiting a museum is one thing, but spending days in crowded amusement and indoor water parks?
We've got two park days, and had figured the Monday as a pool/beach day. Under normal circumstances it looks like the hotel normally is open even at times the park is not, but obviously these circumstances are not normal.

We're actually more comfortable with large spaces, on the theory that it's easier to distance in them, particularly if capacity is reduced, you just need to be aware. And wear a mask, of course. We also suspect we've had it, although that may not mean we can't get it again.

The Toledo Zoo might be an option, although we may not want to drive that far.

I was really trying to figure out if we would be better off staying at Port Clinton or Put in Bay, since we definitely do have to move. I had to call the Breakers this morning anyway, and the reservations person suggested staying at Port Clinton and taking the ferry to Put In Bay for the day. She also said Put in Bay can be rowdy at night, which was a large part of why she was recommending Port Clinton.