October Road Trip Vancouver -> Toronto

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28th, 2019, 01:29 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello everyone! Seeking advice from people familiar with Canada weather in October.
The plan is to hire a car either on the East or West Coast and drive across Canada in just over 2 weeks by myself. I’m researching weather conditions, roads and car hire along with winter tyre regulations etc but would love any advice that could help make my trip as smooth as possible.
I haven’t chosen a time to go in October yet but I’m wanting to take photos of the trees at fall and hopefully experience a bit of snow at some point. Is there anything I need to know?!
Any information or recommendations on the road conditions, weather, car hire or anything else would be welcomed!
Old Dec 28th, 2019, 04:28 AM

We've enjoyed visiting B.C. and the Rockies in mid to latter September for fall color. However, we've also found that the leaves are pretty much over by end of September. I can't speak for the rest of Canada.
Old Dec 28th, 2019, 08:56 AM

Wow, that's a humdinger.

It was snowing considerably in September in Alberta in either 2019 or 2018, so the door is wide open to a broad range of the weather of which you speak.

HOWever, once you get through the Rockies there would be a whole lot of flat land in communities which are appropriately ready for whatever weather historically brings their way.

I love that you have the option of east-to-west OR west-to-east... and I'm confident that to begin in the east and go west would bring a slightly better chance of snow at some point (mainly for the slight difference afforded by most of your 2-week period, but also, of course, by the Rockies being crossed 10 days later).

How far east will you go/start? I saw brief snow flurries in June (admittedly on the 1st) in northern Nova Scotia in 2018.

Because so much of Canada is quite flat, and because you're not going in traditional blizzard season, I envision your accomplishing your mission no matter your choices. (assuming you're not thinking of Dawson City or Dawson Creek)

With regard to photos of the trees... I think you might even consider making a second post here titled specific to the timing of fall coloUrs across the breadth of Canada, soliciting reports of precise timing from those who are intimately familiar with, say, each successive province. (But be aware that Fodors' Canada section doesn't get tons of attention in the winter!)

IF you don't live in a place convenient to Canada, I would also suggest finding some time to explore on either end of your trip, at the very least. Both the Vancouver area, and the Maritime provinces are worth extra time. (but that is less important if you live in, say, Idaho or New Hampshire)

Obviously you'd be tracking the daily weather as you made your long drive, but outside of that, I think your major area of concern (only mild, in most Octobers) is the Alberta/BC border area, for the mountains.

I cannot think of a reason to be discouraged about your endeavor. I haven't driven a straight shot all of the way across but I've been on a series of major passages across continental Canada for all but a small amount of western Ontario, on many different trips. That includes Sydney to Vancouver.

You do clearly need more info to better pinpoint when "fall coloUrs" are at their pinnacle in the various spots, and that may help to dictate some of your choices.