Search

Zihuatanejo

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29th, 2019, 01:19 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Zihuatanejo

Would appreciate your thoughts and comments ( from people who have actually been) on the Xtapa/Zihuatanejo area. Would you consider staying over in Zihu for several months. ?.
Old Aug 30th, 2019, 02:35 PM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
I've been to Zihua and Troncones, but not Ixtapa. One thought that comes to mind for a several month stay (for me) is what sort of exploring can I do? Unfortunately, venturing SE along the Guerrero coast these days is probably not the best idea. I'd feel more comfortable heading NW into Michoacan at least as far as Playa Azul. But part of that is because I've driven there a number of times. I did a trip report some time back.
Now, heading inland to Uruapan/Patzcuaro/Morelia is well worth exploring if you're there for several months. The scenery along the highway is impressive, that part of Mexico is beautiful, safe and easily reached from Zihuatanejo. But again, I like to get out and about; some folks like to stay in one place.
Curiously, most of the Mexicans I know that head to that area prefer Ixtapa over Zihuatanejo, for the gringos it's the opposite.
Old Aug 31st, 2019, 10:06 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for responding... I will take heed of your advice in travelling south of Zihua. I do believe we will visit the area for a month or so and then fly back to PV for several months. We have heard great things about Zihuatanejo, we’ll just have to wait and see. Unlike Fodor’s, Trip Advisor has some great discussions and helpful advice not to mention, way more experienced travellers such as yourself. I will also look for your trip report on Zihuatanejo.

Old Aug 31st, 2019, 10:38 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Rohelio
Thanks for responding... I will take heed of your advice in travelling south of Zihua. I do believe we will visit the area for a month or so and then fly back to PV for several months. We have heard great things about Zihuatanejo, we’ll just have to wait and see. Unlike Fodor’s, Trip Advisor has some great discussions and helpful advice not to mention, way more experienced travellers such as yourself. I will also look for your trip report on Zihuatanejo.

Have just read your report and very happy to have done so.I do appreciate you saying that many people like Zihua... somewhat comforting.
Thanks again baldone.
Old Sep 5th, 2019, 11:43 PM

Lived there a few years (Zihua) long ago, in the 1980s and almost bought a house there...adored it.....would love to hear more if you do go. Ixtapa was not to my taste but it was so long ago.....
Old Sep 6th, 2019, 08:50 AM
Original Poster

Happy to hear that, we had that feeling some time ago in Puerto Aventuras where we purchased our condo...what a great feeling that was !
Having sold years ago, we were looking for something different, new and exiting... I guess you could say we are looking for that old feeling again.
I have read many great things about Zihua and your comment simply adds to the list. Thanks again

Old Sep 6th, 2019, 09:34 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by baldone
Curiously, most of the Mexicans I know that head to that area prefer Ixtapa over Zihuatanejo, for the gringos it's the opposite.
We are going to Zihuatanejo for the first time in March. I met a very wealthy couple from Mexico City at the Opus One tasting room in Napa last summer and said we were interested in visiting Zihuatanejo. They were adamant that I should go to Ixtapa. 🤷🏻*♀️
Old Sep 6th, 2019, 02:11 PM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by MichelleY

We are going to Zihuatanejo for the first time in March. I met a very wealthy couple from Mexico City at the Opus One tasting room in Napa last summer and said we were interested in visiting Zihuatanejo. They were adamant that I should go to Ixtapa. 🤷🏻*♀️
I think gringos feel Zihuatanejo gives them more of a 'real Mexico' vibe. Whereas Mexican nationals have that every day, so they maybe want something more upscaley.
Old Sep 6th, 2019, 09:25 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Baldone: The couple gave me their name and I googled them. They are VERY upscale. The rich and famous of Mexico.

Last edited by MichelleY; Sep 6th, 2019 at 09:28 PM.
Old Sep 8th, 2019, 06:36 AM
Original Poster

I do believe that this is not uncommon in Mexico. The well to do in Mexico seem to want to distance themselves from the rest when on holidays or rest periods... Two years ago, we rented in La Cruze de Guanacastle from a lawyer in Guadalajara. He was very adamant about renting only to tourists from outside the country. He refused renting to Mexicans claiming that they broke, stole and abused his property. We also witnessed this in Playa where the owner ( business lady living in Cancun) would rather leave her condo empty in the Easter holidays, rather than rent to nationals because of the way they left the property...
Old Sep 12th, 2019, 08:25 AM

Ixtapa and ZIH

Ixtapa has more resort hotels and beaches
Zihuatanejo is the town and a couple nice hotels-Casa de Canto fantastico
Been to both a few times-great overlooked destination. Sometimes hard to get to
Friendly people, nice beaches and chill vibe.
Troncones has houses for rent and is known for surfing

Old Sep 13th, 2019, 07:28 PM
Original Poster

Thanks cruzmomma, will check things out in Troncones...
Old Oct 1st, 2019, 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by baldone
I think gringos feel Zihuatanejo gives them more of a 'real Mexico' vibe. Whereas Mexican nationals have that every day, so they maybe want something more upscaley.
I think you are spot on about that! We were told that we stayed at one of the first hotels built in Ixtapa, and then the rest were built beyond that, away from Zihuatenejo. We drove around Ixtapa one day and I hated it:
lots of hotels, traffic, curbs!, and everything that looked just like any town in Florida to me.
Old Oct 6th, 2019, 08:58 PM

We are off to Zihua for three weeks and then on to Troncones about 20 miles north. We love Zihua. As someone said it does have a more real Mexican vibe. Every morning the fisherman go out and then display their fish on sheets on the beach so the restaurateurs can buy fresh fish. As Baldone mentioned, there isn't a lot to DO in Zihua, but there is some pretty decent snorkling, lots of good restaurants and the people are nice. I would definitely recommend it over Ixtapa which is one of those "created" vacation spots the Mexican government did in the 70's. As for staying there several months, there are a lot of Canadians that do just that, probably Americans also, but we seem to have met a lot of Canadians. There are a couple of nice apartment complexes in town. We are staying at Casa Ceiba which is close to the beach and beachfront restaurants.
Have fun
Old Oct 7th, 2019, 10:24 AM
Original Poster

Thank you Tdiddy12 for your opinion, the majority of experienced tourists side with staying over in the Zihua zone rather than the Ixtapa area. I will also check out La Ceiba condo rental units...