Lincoln, NH to Ogunquit, ME Best route for scenery/Fall colors

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6th, 2019, 05:23 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be making this drive on Oct 7th, 2019 on the way to Acadia National Park. I am trying to figure out the best route to drive. Mostly interested in scenery and fall colors unless something novel is on the way. Not interested in museums or fancy stores/restaurants.

Few questions after reading a couple of travel books
- Does it make sense to driving Kanc, 302 and/or 16 around Mt Washington region? Being on a higher elevation, maybe Oct 7 is past peak fall colors?
- If Mt Washington is out of the driving equation, circling Lake Winnipesaukee and then driving Rte 113 to Conway by lunchtime?
- After lunch, continue Rte 113 from Fryeberg to Standish, ME and then to Ogunquit, ME? Find interesting places on the way to make stops

Any better route suggestion? Don't mind going off the main roads. We have all day to do this route. Will prefer to stop by Nubble lighthouse before the sunset.

So if you have to drive between these two points, which route would you take?

Thanks in advance.
Old Aug 6th, 2019, 06:32 AM

As I am sure you realize, foliage dates can vary a lot year to year. October 7 would be peak or slightly after for where I live in north central VT.
This foliage tracker for NH should give you some idea of where color should be good in different regions. You can also find updates at the time of your trip
https://www.visitnh.gov/foliage-tracker
Old Aug 6th, 2019, 06:38 AM

You might hit some strange traffic on Oct 7 since the Fryeburg Fair goes until Oct 6. It's a nice agricultural fair but we haven't been in years. Oct 7 would find midway, vendors and farmer traffic departing the fairgrounds but the traffic might not be a problem.
I'm not a fan of the Kancamagus Hwy but I'm in the minority. One summer we drove from Campton to North Conway, made a brief visit to a couple of shops and then took my preferred route south on Rt 16 and then Tamworth to Center Sandwich to Moultonborough and Meredith. We were in Moultonborough in time for lunch. North Conway is very scenic since you can see Mt. Washington from Main Street. The train station and resort buildings are beautiful. There's some fun shops. Lots of restaurant choices. Tamworth has a beautiful new distillery which is fun just for a look. We have not visited the Remick Museum but have wandered the grounds on a birdwatching trip. Center Sandwich is one of the prettiest small towns in NH. Small museum but well done. We have also visited by special appointment the Tappan Chair woodworking shop. The shop is tiny and not really set up for visitors. You would probably have to read up on the Chinook sled dog and kennels to have an appreciation for the area History of the Chinook Dog in New Hampshire I prefer this lower elevation route since there are houses and mountain backdrops. Probably one of the best boat trips is Cruising with a Naturalist via the Squam Lake Science Center. The cruise is a 3pm. We took it last early September and saw a lot of loons, a few bald eagles. It's a beautiful lake that hasn't been commercialized like Lake Winnipesaukee https://www.nhnature.org/programs/notl_cruise.php

Now you're in "trouble" because googlemaps says the fastest route to York (Nubble Light) is Rt 16 to Portsmouth. Kittery Maine is across the river/harbor. From Prescott Park near Strawbery Banke you can see across to the Portsmouth Navy Yard and the abandoned old prison. Although I don't care for most of Rt 16, it is route 16 that is the prettiest approach to Portsmouth before it connects to I95 north to Maine. A lot of construction and changes have somewhat obstructed the view of Great Bay but you'll see the water, some boats, etc. It is a very important estuary for a healthy environment. You can make a slight detour to Wagon Hill Farm which is now a conservation area open to the public. There's a trail that leads past an old grave to the water's edge and you can do a loop back to the farmhouse. From the road you don't realize the farm has frontage on the water.

Sorry I've forgotten if hiking is not on your list of things to do. Even if you don't stop in Portsmouth, I95 goes over some tall bridges and you'll see some of the industrial areas. You can also visit an old submarine but let me just say we visited years ago and I don't think I would ever go inside again. Welcome to Albacore Here's info about the Portsmouth Harbor lighthouse, when and where it can be viewed. If you opt to go to New Castle via Rt 1B it is one of my favorite drives. New Castle is a very old town. Color is later on the coast so it could be excellent when you visit.
| Keepers of Maritime History
Old Aug 6th, 2019, 12:29 PM
Original Poster

Thank you both of you for the comments.

The cruise would have been great but it runs from Tuesdays to Thursdays only and we are there on Monday. I will note this thing, should we decide to spend some time around Mt Washington area in the future.

Since Route 16 isn't that great and I wanted to make Fryeberg to Standish on 113 (a travel guide suggestion). Which route would you suggest to drive south on ME-4S or 202 to Dover and then to Prescott Park.

Prescott Park is a good idea. I could not figure out the parking though. Is it the one at the intersection of State Street and Marcy Street? And if this park is good for a stroll after dinner/sunset?

About New Castle, you mentioned 1A. The map says its 1B that goes to and from New Castle. 1A passes by New Castle. Did I get that right?

If there is a short hike, won't mind doing it but I would rather prefer sitting by the waterside if it is quiet. Are there any spots on the lakes that are not touristy?
I won't be going into the submarine. Since I walked up to St Peter's Basilica dome in the Vatican, my claustrophobia is more pronounced.

One question, we noticed rail track near Franconia notch. Is there any train that takes tourists on that route?
Old Aug 7th, 2019, 03:21 AM

Oops, I meant Rt 1B from Prescott Park thru New Castle. 1A goes along the coast which is another nice drive thru Rye because you go past some gorgeous mansions. There are places to park along 1A to look out on the water. Yes, there is parking at Prescott Park. What we do is carry bag chairs in the car so we can sit where we please. It's actually been quite some time since we visited Prescott Park. I thought we parked in the area of the right side of blue rectangle in this map but it wasn't summer when the park is used for music and theater performances. It's a lovely 10 acre park with flower gardens and some shady areas. Lincoln, NH to Ogunquit, ME Best route for scenery/Fall colors-ppaf-parking-recommendations-map.jpg

Here are two train options in the Lincoln and Weirs Beach area Great Fun Train Ride at Hobo Railroad and Winni RR>
I think the more popular one would be the one out of North Conway. We have never taken these rides but our grandchildren just went on the Lincoln Hobo railroad. Too bad the Squam Lake cruise isn't when you are there.

Rt 16 is ok. You'll see lots of trees. The good part is when you get near to Portsmouth. If you want to look at the water there is Hilton Park that should be quiet. When we had a travel camper we would frequently take a lunch break there. Great Fun Train Ride at Hobo Railroad and Winni RR>

In the lakes region each town has its own personality. If you could find a place on Squam it would be quiet but I don't think there are any public beaches. Here's a list for Lakes Region. Weirs Beach is very crowded and adjacent to arcade area with lots of boat traffic but might be fine in October. Meredith is a pretty town with a congested intersection but beautiful spot on the lake also some shopping and restaurants. Wolfeboro might be the best choice. On Rt 16 area, my husband's family used to love White Lake. There are smaller lakes closer to where we live that we prefer for quiet such as Kezar Lake in Sutton. https://www.lakesregion.org/new-hamp...ublic-beaches/

You might consider the foliage cruises/inland rivers out of Portsmouth. You can walk to the dock from the parking garage. There is also a harbor cruise which might be more interesting with more narration. Most recently we have done an educational cruise up into the Great Bay area, same route as one of the inland rivers and also to the offshore islands but this is with an educational program.

In New Castle, this might be easier place and quieter than Prescott Park We might have missed visiting this place. I was hunting to see if there was free parking near the Coast Guard Station where we've gone for the educational boat trips. Plus, nowadays we tend to visit restaurants and not beaches. https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attracti...Hampshire.html

I don't think there is any best route. Choose best one to get where you want to go.
Old Aug 8th, 2019, 03:03 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for all the information.

I will spend some time on the weekend to go through all the info and try to figure out how we can fit things in our itinerary.