How hectic is August?

Search

How hectic is August?

Search this Thread

Old May 31st, 2019, 02:28 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How hectic is August?

I’m contemplating a trip to the UK in the last week of August. I’ve read that because of the summer holidays things can get very crowded—tourist sites, hotels, car rental agencies, trains, road traffic, etc. I’d like to hire a car and drive, for the first time on the left side of the road, to sites such as Portsmouth, Brandon, Bath, Crockham Hill, among others as time allows, from a base hotel near LHR. I’ll be traveling solo, am of a mature age, and as a dedicated provincial am not used to traffic jams or long queues. Will the last week in August be much worse in terms of the competition for travel resources?
Old May 31st, 2019, 05:20 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
The end of August is no different in SE England than a lot of other months.

But I don't understand -- some of those destinations are very difficult to reach from 'near LHR'. Where exactly are you staying? Do you mean Brandon in Suffolk? Crockham Hill is in Kent. Portsmouth is on the south coast. I cannot think of anyplace near LHR that would be a good base for any of your list and I'm a little leery of the 'and others' if they are as equally far flung . . .

Why are you visiting these specific places? -- if you are touring to these and other places you really can't do it from one base . . . UNLESS it was in very central London.
Old Jun 1st, 2019, 01:33 AM

I'm confused too. If you'll have a car, why do you need a base that's so far away from everything you want to visit?
Old Jun 2nd, 2019, 10:33 AM
Original Poster

For ease of access to the airport at the beginning and end of the trip, of course, and because my destinations are at the four points of the compass and are all within a two hour drive of Heathrow and because driving on the left in a foreign land is a novel experience I'd like to have and because adjusting to a new hotel every other night is a vexing and time consuming endeavor and because the journey is truly as important as the destination. Frankly, I find your confusion confusing. But, thanks so much for your help (be it ever so cursory, see below).

Returning to my question and for the benefit of future seekers of the travel truth: Will the last week in August be much worse in terms of the competition for travel resources? A brief search of the phrase "avoid london in august" returns the following information: 1. The Notting Hill Carnival begins on the 24th and ends on the 26th. Reportedly over 1 million revelers will descend upon London for what is described as the largest street party in Europe. (Reason, alone, IMHO, for avoidance.) 2. The Edinburgh Festival Fringe ends on the 26th. Described as the world largest arts festival, with 2.8 million tickets issued in 2018, its wrap up will surely impact all UK international points of departure. 3. In England, Wales, and Northern Ireland, Monday, 26 August is Summer Bank Holiday, a yearly occasion for dire media warnings of road traffic "chaos" which extends out from greater London in an ugly, black web. 4. London Theatre Kids Week promotion runs all month. Children under 17 are admitted free to participating shows (those, that is, that are not already on summer hiatus). 5. The Tube is stifling, heat waves are increasingly common, a/c coverage is spotty, etc.

I submit that, for my purposes, at least, the answer to this burning question is: Yes, much worse! But I do hope that any forum members with actual knowledge of the matter, i.e., members who actually reside in the UK, will amend the record.
Old Jun 2nd, 2019, 10:51 AM

Guess I won't be able to help you because you have some odd ideas re road travel in the UK. Staying at LHR simply because you flying in/out is a terrible idea (it really is). If one has a very early flight out, then staying one night near the airport can make sense -- otherwise - no sense at all.

Just a few FYI's: LHR to Brandon and back is a 4.5 hour round trip IF the traffic on some of the most congested motorways in England cooperates. LHR to Cookham Hill and back is 4.5 to 5 hours on a different part of the most congested motorway in Europe. LHR to Portsmouth = 3 to 3.5 hours R-T. LHR to Bath = a 4 hour R-T - again IF the traffic cooperates. And over Bank holidays road travel is INSANE so you could easily double those drive times.

You also have absolutely NO idea re London. It is the largest city in western Europe by miles and absorbs visitors like no other city I can think of, and unless one is in the immediate neighborhood of the Notting Hill Carnival you wouldn't even know it was happening.

The Summer bank holiday will have MUCH less effect on London then on those motorways you'll be spending hours on.

But go ahead with this plan . . . You obviously know better.

Last edited by janisj; Jun 2nd, 2019 at 10:59 AM.
Old Jun 2nd, 2019, 11:09 AM

Family oriented tourist sites* and beaches (if hot), and shopping centres, and the roads to the same will be busier than usual on the whole BH weekend (I once spent literally hours touring the coast around Bournemouth looking fruitlessly for a parking spot on a particularly hot August bank holiday, having set out way too late). *That would include Portsmouth if you mean the historic dockyard - it's always pretty busy there anyway. Bath's always busy too, and the roads to the west tend to get busy because of people going to/from Cornwall and Devon.

Never heard of Brandon or Crockham Hill so I can't comment on those.

If you're not going into London, events there won't impact you. Ditto Edinburgh.
Old Jun 2nd, 2019, 11:51 AM

You didn't even mention Edinburgh in your OP. Edinburgh is a special case in August but it doesn't sound like you are going anywhere near there - nor Wales or NI.

And you likely had no idea one can travel from very central London to Brandon in 90 minutes by train. Cookham Hill (which is basically in Rochester) is less than 45 minutes from very central London . . . by train
Old Jun 2nd, 2019, 11:52 AM

You say you are not used to traffic jams and long queues. You will be by the end of this trip. The M25, the circular motorway around London, which you will be on most days if you follow your plan, is sometimes described as Europe’s biggest car park.

Try Googling journey times for the actual time (UK time) that you’ll be doing the drives, because I expect they’ll be much longer.

The problem isn’t August (the Notting Hill carnival and especially the Edinburgh Fringe are irrelevant here) but because the SE of England is densely populated with busy roads.

I’m not sure what it is you’re planning to see in either Brandon or Crookham Hill but can I gently suggest that if you’re not used to traffic jams, this trip really would be better done as a tour rather than a series of daytrips on some of the busiest roads in Europe.

By the way, I live & drive in the UK. Been driving here for 35 years. I do all I can not to drive on the M25 mornings and late afternoons because I don’t enjoy sitting in traffic jams.

Last edited by Gyhtson; Jun 2nd, 2019 at 11:57 AM.
Old Jun 2nd, 2019, 12:32 PM

<<For ease of access to the airport at the beginning and end of the trip, of course, and because my destinations are at the four points of the compass and are all within a two hour drive of Heathrow and because driving on the left in a foreign land is a novel experience I'd like to have and because adjusting to a new hotel every other night is a vexing and time consuming endeavor and because the journey is truly as important as the destination. Frankly, I find your confusion confusing. But, thanks so much for your help (be it ever so cursory, see below).>>

Well, apparently you're far more of a genius about travel in the UK than anyone here who lives there or travels there all the time or those of us who live in Europe and make sensible trips to the UK. I doubt you realize how many Fodorites actually do have first-hand knowledge of the stuffed-up plans you are proposing, but I can't imagine any of them wanting to help a bloke so intent on sounding superior to everyone.

Since you're intent on being blunt I will be too. Your plan is stupid.

So carry on and good luck.
Old Jun 2nd, 2019, 12:45 PM

Oh my gosh(!). I failed to read to the very end of your post:

>>I submit that, for my purposes, at least, the answer to this burning question is: Yes, much worse!<<

So you answered your own question. Perhaps not well informed but you do have your answer.

>> But I do hope that any forum members with actual knowledge of the matter, i.e., members who actually reside in the UK, will amend the record.<<

You have received answers from 1) people living in the UK, 2) people who used to live in the UK and visit multiple times a year, and 3) people who live just across the Channel from England and visit periodically. If I was planning a trip, I'd pretty much accept the collective 'actual' knowledge of those who were trying to help you.
Old Jun 2nd, 2019, 02:01 PM

Would not the area around Heathrow have some of the most hectic traffic?
Old Jun 3rd, 2019, 07:56 AM

I do not live in the UK, but visit and drive there almost every year. You have been given advice above from people with a combined wealth of information. They are trying to help you make your holiday what you hope it will be. I urge you to re-read the above and give it careful consideration. Wishing you the best for what you choose to do.
Old Jun 3rd, 2019, 08:36 AM

If your goal is to spend time sitting in your car on motorways, while staying in what is probably the least charming and most congested part of the UK: great plan!
Activities in London have nothing whatsover to do with your driving plans.

You must have some reason for your itinerary, but your plan to do all that from a base near LHR is terrible.
Old Jun 4th, 2019, 12:46 AM

Hello. I live in gloucestershire. I just spent a week in Surrey at my daughters place. We went out on day trips - I couldn’t believe how long it takes to get anywhere, whether you use major routes or B roads - glos feels like the rural wild by comparison. My trip was in May, not August. I think you would be mad to stay near the airport and day trip from there - you have had good advice. The south east is very busy at any time , I reckon August would be a nightmare.
Old Jun 4th, 2019, 03:14 AM

Could I suggest you use www.nationalrail.co.uk to check timings and costs for rail day trips from "London (All Terminals)" to Portsmouth, Brandon, and Edenbridge (about a mile from Crockham Hill) and/or Sevenoaks (a little further from Crockham Hill, but likely a better train service, with local car hire an option, or use www.traveline.info to check out local bus services).

It may well work out cheaper and certainly much less time-consuming if you start from central London.
Old Jun 4th, 2019, 03:55 AM

“But I do hope that any forum members with actual knowledge of the matter, i.e., members who actually reside in the UK”

Hello!

Yes!

The question has been answered, usually the worst week of the year, combined with the third week of July. If it pours down with rain then driving will not be fun but quieter. If it is sunny then be prepared to double estimates of travel times in many areas.

The number of Brits staying at home during the Brexit fiasco is monumental.

Also do some research about your specific routes, our government has seen fit to follow the German example and create “smart” motorways with variable speeds. The infrastructure changes needed have seen huge sections of the M6, M60, M40, M4 and M1 currently under reconstruction.

There’s currenty two sections of both the M4 near Reading and M6 near Stoke which have 25 mile long road works.

If the sunshines, bring a book.
Old Jun 24th, 2019, 08:16 PM

Why so rude?
Old Jun 24th, 2019, 09:18 PM

Who is rude? The OP has received good advice from people who know these roads.
Old Jun 24th, 2019, 10:59 PM

I live in Portsmouth and the journey to Heathrow is not one I particularly look forward to. It's generally OK when you're on the A3 but once you hit the M25 then that becomes one of life's most depressing drives. On average the round trip journey should take around 3 hours.

Portsmouth does get busy in August (although I'm usually elsewhere during that time), it's a very dense city and parking is difficult and expensive.The majority of the residential roads in Southsea and close to the dockyard are permit parking only. The car park for the Historic Dockyard is surprisingly small and the next closest large car park is Gunwharf Quays which is shockingly expensive. There are also a lot of one way roads and side streets that you can easily find yourself lost in if you don't posess the local knowledge. Your easiest option if visiting Portsmouth is to park in the Park and Ride lot just off the M275 at the entrance to Portsmouth. Here you can park your car in the large car park and take the frequent bus to the main sites.

Portsmouth to Bath for example would be easier going straight from Portsmouth rather than returning to Heathrow and then venturing out to Bath. The roads around Heathrow are some of the busiest in the UK and I would go mad with frustration if I had to return to a hotel there every night. I understand your point about the familiarity of a hotel but I can see no problems with using hotels en route. For example, if you wanted to overnight in Portsmouth and wanted a hotel that was easy to get to and plenty of parking then the Marriott fits the bill. Direct access to the M27 which will set you on your journey to Bath and, depending on the route, could allow you to take in Salisbury, Stonehenge and Old Sarum if you desire. Or you could travel to the New Forest, overight there in a small hotel or B&B, explore a bit for a day or two or move straight on to Bath. I can assure that the drive through and from the New Forest will be far more enjoyable and interesting than the dull slog along the M4 from Heathrow.
Old Jun 24th, 2019, 11:57 PM

Not sure why the thread was topped -- the OP won't be back since she didn't like our advice and thinks basing near LHR is the 'perfect' place to base to tour half of England (it ain't)

Portsmouth and Bath and the New Forest won't help with getting out to Suffolk and Brandon Hill (Rochester)

And travelboradcaster -- since you think we are 'rude' -- did you notice the OP disregarded everyone's very helpful/knowledgeable advice. She asked and we explained in detail why it is a bad plan and tried to help her with useful alternatives . . . and she came back to basically tell us we don't know what we are talking about . . .

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -