money, masks in India?

Search

money, masks in India?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1st, 2019, 01:52 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
money, masks in India?

We leave in one month! for our first trip to India. We will travel to Delhi, 3 wildlife parks in search of the Bengal tiger, the Taj Mahal, Varnasi and Khajuraho.... My husband and I will be traveling w/ nature safari india...

I'm wondering how best to access money in India? Bring ATM cards and withdraw rupees from bank sites as we did I think in Europe? Bring along a stash of $1 and other dollar bills as well to bargain, tip?

Then there are the N95 masks I'm guessing mostly recommended for Delhi.... I have read the locals think you're crazy if you are wearing these, and so better to wear a scarf.... Does anyone have any suggestions on these and or any other issues. Thank you!

Old Mar 1st, 2019, 09:32 PM

Hi Bella.

Yes, use ATMs to get your cash. Stick, if possible, to the private banks like Citibank, ICICI , HDFC, or Axis. If you have the energy to deal with it upon arrival, you should find an ATM in the arrivals hall of the international terminal, after you exit the immigration area.( I'm assuming you land in New Delhi, but this is true at any of the major India airports.)
The only problems I've had with Indian ATMs are at State Bank of India or the regional state banks. Those problems include the machine having insufficient cash, or inexplicably cancelling the transaction after it seemed the transaction went through!
No need to bring USD for tips and shopping/bargaining. Rupees will be fine. The company you're going with should be able to give you an idea of amounts, should you have that question.

Have a fantastic trip!!
Old Mar 1st, 2019, 09:40 PM

Re: masks--why not bring a bunch of N95s in any case ? Lightweight, take up almost no room, and inexpensive! If you find the air unpleasant and /or dangerous (see Air Quality levels for whatever city you're in) wear a mask. New Delhi and Agra both have air "issues." Scarves wrapped around nose and mouth may "look" better, but they are hot and bulky and of questionable effectiveness. If the locals think you're crazy...so what? Trust me, on the crazy scale, you'll see far more crazy things in India than N95 masks!
Old Mar 2nd, 2019, 12:27 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, banking seems fairly easy then, relatively speaking, being in India. and I guess there will be much to see in India! And so I have the disposable masks in my Amazon cart....