10 days Ireland self drive, a few questions

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25th, 2019, 04:11 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are travelling to Ireland in June for 10 days -- tentative itinerary below - I feel quite good about it but have some questions mostly related to driving distances/timing -- and also want to be sure to see some of the highlights since it is a short trip:
Day 1 Dublin
Day 2 Dublin
Day 3 Kilkenny - via Wicklow and Glendalough
Day 4 Kilkenny tour city/castle, may do short drives in area
Day 5 Kenmare via Mt Cashel and Cork (maybe via Beara?? To Kenmare)
Day 6 Kenmare --- tour RoK and Killarney Park or Beara (or both??)
Day 7 -- tour Dingle area and stay near Tarbert ferry rather than driving to Galway
Day 8 Galway
Day 9 Kildare area (meeting up with someone there) – via Rosscrea (family org from this area)
Day 10 Dublin near airport for early flight

Questions:
-Day 5 – could we include Beara on drive to Kenmare or is this too long of a day?
-We plan to stay 2 nights in Kenmare – would it be better to stay further north near Killarney the 2nd night, or not? (the next day would be Dingle)
-If we stay near ferry, any recommendations?
-Day 9 near Kildare – I believe the Irish derby is on (we would be there June 29th weekend)—is it crazy, busy then?
-Day 10 - since it is short drive from Kildare to Dublin airport area, would it be reasonable to head to Newgrange for a visit?

I look forward to your comments/recommendations.
Old Mar 3rd, 2019, 06:10 AM

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
Look at rome2rio and add extra time to the drive. I do public transportation in Ireland now as we like to drink starting at lunch and no one wants to be the DD. We love it and have never had a problem. I would check on availability in Kildare because of the derby. Killarney would be my pick over Kenmare.
Old Mar 10th, 2019, 04:26 AM

Just a couple of observations on your travel plan.
You are scheduling two nights in Kilkenny, It's quite a long road trip Kilkenny - Kenmare so you might think of losing the second night there and breaking the trip with an overnight in Cork city perhaps.
When in Kenmare, don't miss out on the opportunity to take the short boat trip over to Garnish Island near Glengarriff.
The Tarbert ferry runs throughout the daylight hours and you might consider progressing onward into County Clare if time permitted on Day7.
There will likely be tailbacks around the Curragh racecourse on Derby day but traffic will be managed for other road users.
When in the Kildare area, try to make it to the National Stud and Japanese Gardens.
Are you flying out on morning of Day 11? You will certainly have time to visit the ancient sites at Bru na Boinne, Hill of Tara in County Meath on Day 10 if you only have to get from Kildare to an airport hotel on that day.
Old Mar 11th, 2019, 11:52 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your observations - appreciated!
I was waiting patiently for some Fodorite input -- but started making some reservations/changes just yesterday.
Revised:
Day 1 Dublin -arrived midday
Day 2 Dublin - tour to Newgrange, back by 3:30
Day 3 Kilkenny - via Wicklow and Glendalough
Day 4 Kenmare via Mt Cashel and Cobh (for lunch?) and drive to Kenmare via Macroon and down through Gougane Barra then over to Kenmare
***I hope I have not created a long onerous drive on this leg***** I did consider an overnight in Kinsdale but could not find the accommodation I wanted (booked or 2 night min) so decided to continue on to Kenmare ---- could bypass Gougane Barra if it is too much driving. The next 4 days are at a more relaxed pace.
Day 5 Kenmare --- tour Beara peninsula -- maybe this day would be an option to also see Gougane barra-or is it worth it?
Day 6 Dingle--via Molly's Gap, tour around Kilarney, the park -since we will do Beara and Dingle, decided to leave RofK drive off.
Day 7 Dingle - tour the peninsula
Day 8 open -- maybe visit Adare --- clffs of Moher or Burren might be option -- maybe Galway, but not much time
Day 9 Kildare area (meeting up with someone there) – **thanks tor the recommendations in the area-2nd time I have heard the the National Stud is worth a visit***
Day 10 Dublin near airport for early flight next day

Any comments appreciated.
Old Mar 19th, 2019, 10:04 AM

a few brief comments

kind of rushed today, but wanted to give you some feedback

ROK and Killarney park is too much driving for one day.
Last year we stayed in Kenmare and did Killarney park, then the next day, we drove ROK including the Skariff ring and then headed to Dingle, arriving late day.

I have been to Adare three times - not sure what all the interest is about except for the few cute cottages on the main drag. Last year it was extremely noisy and lots of traffic. Not worth the trip in my opinion.