Search

Sunshine Coast

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25th, 2019, 07:43 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sunshine Coast

We are planning an extended visit to both Australia (Brisbane and the Sunshine Coast) as well as the Top End and New Zealand. We're hoping to depart the US by mid September at the latest, going first to the top end before the rains start and the heat is unbearable and then flying into Brisbane (where we've been before) and off to the Sunshine Coast before leaving to NZ which should be October by then. How many nights would you suggest on the Sunshine Coast and where would we base ourselves. Would like to do both the Coastal route as well as the "Hinterland". We obvioulsy will have a rental car so getting around won't be a problem. Would prefer to keep it at 3-5 nights if you think we can do justice to the area. Enjoy the outdoors and light hiking. Beaches (other than viewing) not that important as we live in S. Florida. Thanks in advance for any suggestions. Budget for accomodations not too much of an issue as long as its not outrageous. It's a vacation so we like to treat ourselves.
Old Feb 25th, 2019, 06:30 PM

Received 19 Likes on 4 Posts
We based ourselves in Mooloolaba on the Sunshine Coast. Stayed at the Osprey https://www.osprey.com.au. We did day trips from there. We stayed three nights, but had stayed two nights in Brisbane itself before that. We did a day trip to Noosa, and also went to the Eumundi Market. We also did a trip to Steve Irwin's Australia Zoo. School holidays will be happening at the beginning of October in New Zealand, so may pay to book some accommodation.
Old Feb 25th, 2019, 11:58 PM

At that time of the year the whale migration is happening up and down the east coast of Australia. If this interests you, just google whale watching Sunshine Coast to see what's on offer. Di
Old Mar 1st, 2019, 02:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was going to suggest a week but honestly, you could spend a lot longer. 3 - 5 nights would give you a taste. Maleny and Montville are popular small towns in the Hinterland. Montville is more touristy. We stayed at a lovely guesthouse at Montville for a few days, the Spotted Chook.
https://spottedchook.com.au/contact/

We also stay regularly at Maroochydore which is popular with older travellers and families. Mooloolaba is nice but a bit glitzier. Caloundra is at the southern end. The beaches all along this area are fabulous and there are lots of places to eat and have coffee etc.

I think basing yourself up in the Hinterland would be good, some accommodations have wonderful views across to the coast. If it was me, I'd stay by the beach but if you are used to nice beaches where you live, the Hinterland area would offer something different and you are not that far away to drive down to the coast.

The Australia Zoo is in that area - remember Steve Irwin the crocodile guy? That was his place, now run by the family I believe. I haven't been but you can check out reviews online.

Kay
Old Apr 21st, 2019, 03:28 AM

Every year we spend one week at Mooloolaba. I think this year was our 16th trip. Obviously we love it. We’ve stayed at Noosa but it’s a bit more upscale than we like.

There is is a good range of accommodation, cafes and restaurants.

Its not far from the airport and with a car, day trips would be easy and interesting.

Old Apr 25th, 2019, 03:40 AM

We live in the Sunshine Coast Hinterland and thoroughly recommend it. For a light hike you can't go past Kondalilla Falls (near Montville). Australia Zoo (run by the late Steve Irwin's family) is excellent for a day out. There is plenty of accommodation around both Maleny and Montville. Maleny Dairies and Maleny Botanic Gardens are a couple of other local attractions.