Search

Croatia without Dubrovnik ?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25th, 2018, 07:18 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Croatia without Dubrovnik ?

Hi !
we are slowly planing our next summer (july 5 to august 1-2)trip. We are a family of 4 (2 kids of 7 and 11) and we are looking for a 24-28 days trip in the Dolomotise, Slovenia and Croatia.

It seems that renting a car in italy and taking it into Slovenia and Croatia it,s possile (but cost something like 7euro by day), but Bosnia or take the car into a ferry is not allowed. Thos facts would make a vitit to Dubrovnik very hard to do.

Also, it seems that Dubrovnik is a real zoo in summer time and that it's not easy with kids.

can we leave Dubrovnik out without missing our trip into Croatia completly ?

We are not that much beach type and it seems that it,s the main drag for Croatia, maybe we have done a bad trip choice ?

Thanks !
Old Oct 25th, 2018, 08:52 AM

If you can take your rental car into Croatia, you will most probably be allowed to cross the few miles of Bosnian territory around Neum.
It's up to you to know which places in Croatia you want to visit and why. Croatia is much more than only the stretch of coast along the Adriatic Sea..
Old Oct 25th, 2018, 11:54 AM

If you haven't done so yet, I strongly recommend purchasing some good guidebooks, such as Rough Guide, Fodor's and Rick Steves. We will be going to Croatia and Slovenia in April for the first time. Croatia is not only about beaches. It is about so much more.
Old Oct 25th, 2018, 12:14 PM

Dubrovnik is a beautiful (but sometimes very busy) town but there are many other beautiful places in Croatia. If you don't go there you don't have to feel like you're missing out.
Old Oct 25th, 2018, 04:09 PM
kja

With the time you have, you can't possibly visit the Dolomites and Slovenia and the highlights of Croatia, so something's got to give, and Dubrovnik is the furthest out of range for your itinerary, so skipping it would make sense. And southern Croatia -- Dalmatia (in which Dubrovnik is located) -- is one of many very distinct regions within modern Croatia, and again, I don't see how you could meaningfully include all of its regions, so yes, you will miss something, but you are going to miss something no matter what.
Old Oct 26th, 2018, 05:49 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for those answers !

I'm curIous about those place that are not beaches and/or that would nit make me regret skiping Dubrovnik.

​​​​​​Kia: of course traveling always mean to make some heartbreaking choices. Our basic plan was:
-Venice (2 Nights)
- Dolomites (3-4 Nights)
- Trieste(2nights)
- Slovenia (5-6 Nights)
- Istria (4-5 Nights)
That leaves us with 5-10 Nights for Croatia beside Istria.....
Old Oct 26th, 2018, 06:54 AM

Tostaky/Papinau:
you really got answers to all your questions in the forums of Thorn Tree, Rick Steves and Fodor's. As long as you refuse to tell us what you are interested in, it's a bit difficult to tell you which places in Croatia you should visit.
You certainly know that the most popular one's are Dubrovnik, Korcula, Hvar, Split, Trogir, Sibenik and Krka Falls Park, Rab, Mali Losinj, Pula, Parenzo, Rovigno and Zagreb.
Old Oct 26th, 2018, 07:18 AM

Croatia is a small country..the coast ,ie the beaches , ist where one wants to spend some time.
You may skip Dubrovnik, but the days would be long without beach time in the middle of the summer, imo
Old Oct 26th, 2018, 07:38 AM

I forgot Plitvice Jezero, sorry!!!!
Old Oct 26th, 2018, 07:44 AM

neckervd strangely omitted Plitvice, a UNESCO World Heritage site and national park that consists of stairsteps of intensely blue lakes connected by waterfalls.

Gotta agree with kja; you've an awful lot on your itinerary. Will you be arriving in Venice after a long flight? If so, you will be jet-lagged and not see much of Venice.

We flew into Dubrovnik, took a boat to Korcula and then on to Split, picked up a car for Plitvice and Istria. We are older and kind of past the beach thing but still managed to find lots to see.

Croatia is one of our all-time favorite trips. We need to go back to see more.
Old Oct 26th, 2018, 08:36 AM

We have so many small lakes of all colours in my country (Switzerland) that I was not overwhelmed when I saw the lakes of Plitvice. But they are worth a visit, there is no doubt.
As to Unesco World Heritage sites in Europe, most of them are not even known by local people. Who kows
Canal du Centre
Relief of Madara
Reichenau Island
Skandola Park
Salines Royales d'Arc-et-Senans
Reliefs of Capo di Ponte
Monte San Giorgio
Medieval city center of Thorn
La Chaux-de-Fonds
San Millan de Louso
Tarraco
Atapuerga
Ubeda
etc., etc.
Old Oct 26th, 2018, 05:43 PM
kja

Originally Posted by danon
Croatia is a small country..the coast ,ie the beaches , ist where one wants to spend some time. ... You may skip Dubrovnik, but the days would be long without beach time in the middle of the summer, imo
FWIW, I spent nearly a month in Croatia, didn’t visit a single beach, and felt hard-pressed to see even the things I most wanted to see in such a short time. To each his/her own!

Originally Posted by neckervd
We have so many small lakes of all colours in my country (Switzerland) that I was not overwhelmed when I saw the lakes of Plitvice. But they are worth a visit, there is no doubt.
Much as I loved the lakes of Switzerland -- and I did! -- I wasn't aware that there are any travertine formation lakes or waterfalls in that country, and I thought the colors of the Plitvice Lakes unique in that the colors differ even in the same lake, not because of depth or shadow or light, but because of colonies of microbiota that inhabit different areas of the same lake. But I could be wrong!
Old Oct 27th, 2018, 05:52 AM

No kja, your are not wrong. The some 1000 small mountain lakes of Switzerland (I visited only a few hundreds of them) are somewhat different.
I just gave my personal opinion.
Old Oct 28th, 2018, 07:15 AM
Original Poster

HI everyone,
last night , we have taken a glass of wine , made some reading and came with something....what do you think of :

1) flight into Venice (2 nights) then rent a car for the whole trip.
2) Trieste (1-2 nights)
3) (Istria (4-5 nights)
4) Plitvice (2 nights) ..should we make a detour to Zadar or somewehre else a bit in the southern part before going there?
5) zagreb (2 nights)
6) Slovenia (6-7 nights), we will have to choose two base to see : Ljubljana, Bohinj, BLed, caves, Vrsic pass, julian alps) Anything else ?
7) Road to the Dolomites (stop in route ? )
8) Dolomites (6 nights with two bases..maybe Cortina and Ortisei ? with day trip to Tre Cime and Bolzano)
9) Verona (2 nights)
10) Padova (1 night)
11) fly back to Montreal

We have chose , not an easy decision , to leave out the dalmatian coast for that trip. That would mean to rush some places. Since we are travelling in the heart of summer with two kids (7 ans 11) we have to move not too fast.

Should we do the loop other way around (strat with Verona and Dolomites and end with Istria and Trieste ) ?

Travel would be july 6 to agust 2.

Thanks !
Old Oct 28th, 2018, 08:57 AM

You got suggestiions for all thinkable itineraries linking the places that you mentioned in your many previous posts.
Now you changed your projects and decided something else. It's your decision and I don't see why I should criticize it.
I suppose you exactly know what you will do during 2 days at Trieste (without any trip to the Hinterland) and at Zagreb and during a full day at Verona.
I don't think that a day trip from Ortisei to Bolzano/Bozen makes any sense, as you will pass through Bolzano/Bozen on your way from Ortisei to Verona anyway.

In order to answer your questions:
I wouldn' go up to Zadar, if you want to turn back to the North from there anyway. Neither the highways E 65 and E 71 nor the city of Zadar would justify this detour. Things might be different, if you would proceed up to Split.

ad 6) what do you mean with "Julian Alps"?

ad 7) what do you mean with "Dolomites"? I told you in one of my posts above that a direct car ride from Bled/Vric Pass to the Eastern Dolomites can be done in less than 3 hrs.

Have fun lors de votre planification en détail!
Old Oct 28th, 2018, 10:02 AM
Original Poster

Change of project ? it always been Dolomites, Croatia and Slovenia. Is right that we have receive many, very appreciated, answers, but there's many ideas and each one have is own prefrence.

Julian alps ? or how they call mountains in Slovenia ?

What I mean with Dolomites ? Dolomites I guess.

Daytrip in Bolzano can be change. I dont know how much time we need to visit that place, maybe only a 4-5 hours stop in route could be enough.

2 nights in Trieste is the option if we are there before headinmg back to Montreal. The plan was to sleep there the night beafore heading VCE airport (flight back home is at 13:30), One night could be enough if we start the trip there after Venice.

2 days in Zagreb is only because we try to avoid one night beacaus of the packing and unpacking.
Old Oct 29th, 2018, 02:55 AM

The Dolomites begin north of Lake Garda and east of the Swiss border (Dolomiti di Brenta) and go up to the Julian Alps close to Kreuzberg Pass and Ploecken Pass (Dolomiti del Friuli and Lienzer Dolomiten). The most important places within this area are
Madonna di Campiglio, Sta Maria in Castrozza, Feltre, Asiago, Belluno, Agordo, Predazzo, Moena, Lago Carezza, Canazei, Ortisei, Alta Badia, Santa Maddalena, Fanes-Sennes-Braies Park, Cortina d'Ampezzo, Arabba, Caprile, Cadore, Sexten, Obertilliach, Lavant, Oberdrauburg...

The Julian Alps begin east of the Dolomites. The most important places within this area are:
Sappada, Tolmezzo, Pontebba, Tarvisio, Jesenice, Kranjska Gora, Bovec, Fusine Laghi, Isonzo Valley, Bohinj, Bled, Triglav Park.

It would have been helpful if you had told us at least once in which one's of the hundreds of mountain valleys in this area you are interested in.

Last edited by neckervd; Oct 29th, 2018 at 02:58 AM.
Old Oct 29th, 2018, 02:19 PM

One should definitely visit Plitvice but off season
Old Oct 31st, 2018, 09:23 AM
Original Poster

neckervd: You obviously know those places better than us ! We dont exactly know which place we want to see. Tre Cime, lake braies, val gardena all seems lovely. We want two bases (2-3 nights each) that would allow is to see beautiful scenery without the need to do a lot of hiking.

istrian: we dont have the choice, we have to travel in july-august
Old Oct 31st, 2018, 04:38 PM
kja

A good guidebook or two would have served you well, and still might.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -