Buenos Aires and Argentina November '18 through January 2019

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10th, 2018, 05:53 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looking for advice re: short-term rental (by the week or month) for two people in BA, and Mendoza, as well as advice/info on transportation/logistics to see some of the rest of Argentina, maybe Uruguay and Chile (maybe).

My daughter recently traveled to BA and she will be there for the year, studying abroad at the University of Belgrano. Her semester break is from early November through the end of February. I booked a ticket to arrive on November 13 - a Tuesday, I think - and I have not booked a return ticket yet (miles award ticket) but plan to by the end of this month. I would like to stay through the winter holidays and return shortly after the new year.

Daughter and I will be staying together and traveling together, most of the time, anyway. She mentioned getting a rental apt for the two of us in a different neighborhood than Belgrano or Palermo which is where she is now. I've done some preliminary research and it seems rents are a little cheaper down by Montserrat? What is that neighborhood like? I don't mind staying in an non-touristy area with mostly residents, my daughter says the subway is easy to use, taxis are cheap, and BA is pretty walkable - where she's been so far, anyway, Is that true?
Any other neighborhoods you'd advise for an apartment (studio or 1 bedroom) rental...?

We both would like to go to Mendoza area, at least for one week. I've read a little about the overnight buses and that seems doable, and very affordable.

We'd also like to go to somewhere in Patagonia, but I haven't had a chance to research it much yet... or best way to get there from BA. Daughter says everyone (teachers, homestay family) is telling her to fly.

Finally, I am not a ten cities in as many weeks kind of person. I plan on spending at least half my time in BA, exploring the city and hopefully absorbing some of the local culture, while catching up with my daughter.
Other than BA, I'd like to do some day trips from there, including Colonia del Sacramento, La Plata, and the Tigre neighborhood. Any other day trip areas?

The only places I really want to see are Mendoza and some rural areas around there, which look beautiful in photos. We'd like to go to Patagonia, but not sure where or how...

Normally I plan a trip a year out, but there has been a lot of stuff going on in my life this year, and I feel like I'm kind of winging this one. On the other hand, if I stay two months, this will be the longest trip I will have taken abroad, and I'm looking forward to having the opportunity to be in a different place for so long and have time to see and enjoy the country at a more relaxed pace.

Oh - I'm 52 and I'm reasonably fit. I enjoy walking, hiking and biking (I don't like biking in hilly areas, but walking in hills is ok), I like wine and I'm vegetarian, so is daughter.

(P.S. I know I'm supposed to go to Iguazu Falls, but daughter will be going this fall with her classmates, and while it looks beautiful, it also seems time-consuming to get there. If I'm going to fly somewhere I think I'd rather fly to Patagonia or somewhere else. So I'm not planning on going to Iguazu.)

Sorry this is so long, but really, any tips, advice, info is appreciated. Thanks!
Old Aug 10th, 2018, 09:33 AM

We have spent a fair amount of time in BA and have been happy with Palermo, which is a huge and varied area which is sub divided into smaller barrios The first time we rented an apartment for a month near Avenida Santa Fe which was very convenient for the Subte line, but to be frank we mostly walked to places or used the buses and occasionally, taxis. The last time was just for a week and we stayed in Palermo Soho - a prettier, nicer area but less convenient. Recoletta is another popular, more upmarket area.

Taxis are cheap but you need yo watch the drivers who are keen to take the long way around!

Patagonia would be great at that time of year but you could also consider Salta and the north west. Some photos and detail of our time there on our blog @ https://accidentalnomads.com/categor...ica/argentina/

Mendoza is ok but it wasn’t my favourite place in the country. Colonia Del Sacremento is excellent for a day trip - some photos in the Uruguay section of our blog. Tigre is also great for a day trip.

Flights are expensive in Argentina and IME not terribly reliable. The overnight buses are excellent, especially in ejecutivo class. That said, I would probably fly to Patagonia.
Old Aug 10th, 2018, 10:16 AM

Forgot to add. We used Bytargentina for our first rental in BA and Oasis Collections for the second. Both were good but Oasis were outstanding ( if more expensive).
Old Aug 10th, 2018, 05:56 PM
Original Poster

Thank you, crellston! I did a little more research today and I think I'd really like to visit both Ushuaia and El Calafate, maybe, and in late November; and maybe do both in the same trip, do a multi-trip flight...
My daughter mentioned Salta, but I believe she's going with friends later during her break.

Thanks for the rental company recs, I will check them out.
Old Sep 24th, 2018, 11:47 AM

Crellston, above, makes very good recommendations: I would like to add 2 Rental Agencies that are reliable and that we have used, successfully, several times.

Buenos Aires Habitat: Buenosaireshabitat.com & Renolds Propriedades.

Enjoy your visit to BsAs and around Argentina.