Base for visit to Extremadura?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26th, 2017, 04:24 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm looking for some advice on where to stay in the Extremadura region of Spain. I'm thinking the North or perhaps Central part of the region. All the major US travel sights don't say much about this area.

I'm looking for a small town to use as a base for about a week. We are planning on hiking and low key sight-seeing, including the National Parks in the area. I'm looking for a town that has at least a couple grocery stores, 5-10 restaurants and a historical look. I'm going to have a car, so transportation isn't an issue.

I have been looking at Careers (which is relatively large) and Hervas - any other suggestions? Or Advice?
Old Nov 26th, 2017, 04:53 PM

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
Merida, Merida or Merida.

Recommend a hike to the castle ruins at Alange, Magacela and a visit to Magacela Castle and Roman ruins.

Trujillo is a nice town to visit, home town of Pizarro. The town honors him and his conquest of Peru without apologies.

This is a wine making area, nothing better than picking up a bottle of red and having a pic-nick under the olives trees.

Congrats on having a car. ( Some one will be along soon telling you to take the train, and that you are a danger to everything that walks and crawls.)

We have stayed at the Parador and at Rambla Emerida.

Try to keep Merida a secret, would hate to see it become like Seville or Toledo.
Old Nov 26th, 2017, 05:00 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I would recommend the Parador, castle in Zafria.
Old Nov 26th, 2017, 05:03 PM
Original Poster

Wow - you guys are fast! Thanks for the info!
Old Nov 26th, 2017, 09:03 PM

Hi there, we drove from Cadiz to Zamora a couple of years ago. Stayed in Caceres, Salamanca, and Zamora. We visited Merida too.This whole area is really interesting and very"Spanish"!! The Roman footprint is everywhere, we followed the 'Silver road'. Its terrific, and the food was delicious.
Old Nov 27th, 2017, 07:38 AM

Hopefully you're planning this adventure in the late fall or early spring as it can be quite hot and dry in southern Extremadura during the summer.

One route to consider would be to start in the south and head north, using the Paradors as a base; Zafra, Mérida, Cáceres & Plasencia (www.parador.es/en). Badajoz makes an interesting day trip, as does Trujillo.

And of course you'll have to dine at Atrio in Cáceres, for a true gourmet experience (restauranteatrio.com/en/). It's also a hotel, which gives you a great option in Cáceres.
Old Nov 27th, 2017, 08:56 AM

We loved Casceres (and Atrio). Easy parking in several large garages. The historic area is a UNESCO site - we stayed on the main plaza.
Old Nov 27th, 2017, 10:44 PM

I don't think there is any chance of Merida becoming as popular as Seville or Toledo. And it is not because it is an undiscovered gem.
The roman ruins are fabulous but the city lacks any cohesiveness or continuity in its overall appearance. It is also a little far south to be the best place to base in Extremedura, I think.

Caceres, being central to Merida, Trujillo, and Plasencia and with better access to Guadelupe and Parque Nacional de Monfrague and Parc Natural de Tajo Nacional is the best choice for a true "base",
Old Nov 28th, 2017, 03:29 AM

I reread the OP and now realize that "Careers" is probably the auto correct version of Caceres!

The town itself is larger than what you outline but the old town is where you want to stay (the rest of the town isn't that attractive TBH).

Pic of the main plaza in the old town

http://cdni.condenast.co.uk/1920x128...nicaGumm_b.jpg
Old Nov 29th, 2017, 09:53 AM

Hiking, national parks, historical look ... I´d vote for Plasencia. It covers all the points, it is well located, and I really love the area, the Jerte valley, La Vera nearby ...

When are you planning on going?

Bye, Cova
Old Nov 29th, 2017, 06:04 PM
Original Poster

I'm planning on March of 2018. I really don't enjoy warm weather, so I'm hoping this will be a good time in Extremadura.

I really haven't considered Plasencia yet, I'll have to look into that city more.
Old Nov 30th, 2017, 01:19 PM

March would be great, because you might be there for the cherry trees blossoming. Depending on the weather, it can happen anytime around the 20th of March, and it is amazing

http://turismoextremadura.com/viajar...erezo-en-Flor/

Bye, Cova