Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page >

What makes South Africa unique & different from other places in the world?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7th, 2017, 11:12 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have done a lot of independent (and often adventurous) traveling all over the world but have never been to Africa. Many people recommend SA, so I have been looking into it and have some guidebooks from the library I've been reading.

The ability to see wildlife in SA is obviously unique, but what else is there that is truly unique that we couldn't see a variation on elsewhere? I've read about the garden route and the wine country and Capetown. We've visited wine areas in several countries and learned how it is produced. So, I am guessing the wine country truly isn't all that different for us. When traveling halfway across the world, we prefer to visit areas that are truly different from where we live in the US. Maybe I am wrong, but I am guessing that, other than the wild animals, lots of the typical SA itinerary is just a variation on similar types of westernized places and locales in the US or Europe.

If we'd visit, it would be for 4 to 6 weeks during the North American winter--so Jan., Feb. or March probably.

I am trying to get a feel for whether this is a destination that would really call to us since in many ways we often prefer the more "exotic". I'll be interested to hear your insights. I am also going to post this in the Lounge since a lot of people there recommend the country. Thanks.
Old Jul 7th, 2017, 04:45 PM

Hi again, JulieS.

Gosh, it almost sounds as if you want to be talked out of going! On your original post, many people recommended other countries, e.g. East Africa.
What made you focus now on SA? (Not a bad idea; I'm just curious why/how you narrowed it down to there.)

If not done done already, re-read previous thread's replies. Re: SA, there's detailed reply from one of the tour company guys. (I also recommended that you read Inquest's fantastic trip report about Uganda. Did you? I still think that country, and perhaps one other adjacent to it--Kenya? Rwanda-- would give you everything you seek, at a very reasonable price level, and with the kind of local, unique experiences you say you seek Sorry to digress...it's a part of knowing why you ended up specifically with SA. )

Ask yourself, and tell us, what you did or did not like about your other "exotic" travels to India, SEA, etc. Not just what/where you did or did not like, but the WHY of what you liked in different parts of your trips. Chances to meet and talk with the country's citizens? Scenery? Neighborhoods? Food? Most of us do not like every part of every trip, but if you describe what you enjoyed in certain places, and what you'd recommend avoiding, perhaps it will give a clue as to where on the enormous continent of Africa, and the large country of SA, is right for you.

As for "traveling halfway across the world, we prefer to visit areas that are truly different from where we live in the US...guessing...the typical SA itinerary is just a variation on similar types of westernized places and locales in the US or Europe." Understood...but of course, there will be some duplication anywhere in the world, e.g.,there's is an area in the eastern part of SA that is similar to our USA Grand Canyon. Does that mean you'd want to skip it? Are you talking about big city shopping malls? As for wine country, if you go back to the original post you made, there is a description in one reply for getting off the standard tourist trip and finding unique small towns.

I'd say anywhere in Africa is sufficiently different from where you live in the USA. If not apparent at first glance eg. big city skylines, wineries, beaches) it won't take long to find what is unique.

There is a fantastic reply from Gardyloo on the Lounge that tells you in wonderful, loving detail all the great, special, unique things about SA.
Old Jul 8th, 2017, 03:21 PM
Original Poster

This is still in the talking, investigating and thinking phase trying to decide if anywhere in Africa is even what we want to do. We are definitely not safari fanatics but did enjoy the one we did in Nepal and somewhat the one we did in India (bad experience there with the travel agent and what he set us up with). We are typically outdoor people who enjoy nature and will choose national parks when given the opportunity.

I've been reading about the idea of a do-it-yourself trip through Kruger. Whether it is something worthwhile I don't yet know. But, I also don't yet know if we truly want to take on the idea of an expensive safari, mainly because I just don't know if, to us, the price is worth it.

On our typical six week trip we mix it up a lot as far as types of activities and excursions and environments, and a safari experience would be only a small portion of the trip. That's why I am trying to get a handle on the country of South Africa IF we would decide on that. As much as I hate to admit it, we are now starting to get on in years and we will need to prioritize what travel experiences are most intriguing to us because our list of ideas is way too long to do all of them.

Thanks for your input.
Old Jul 9th, 2017, 11:34 AM

I agree with CaliNurse. It doesn't sound like you want to go! I'm old too and go wherever we choose. S Africa wins most of the time. For the wildlife, people, diverse ecosystems, ease of travel.

Kruger is not the only national park. I've been to a few and they are all unique. See www.SanParks.org and www.kznwildlife.com for the parks systems. Worthwhile is subjective - everyone is different.
Old Jul 9th, 2017, 03:59 PM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
I've not been to South Africa, but I have been to Tanzania, Rwanda and Kenya (x3). There is nothing in Europe that that comes even close to anything there. Each time, my mind is blown by how different and incredible it is. It is truly a different world, whether I'm in Kigali or Nairobi or in the bush in my favorite Mara conservancy. I'd second CaliNurse's question about why you've not considered one of those or Uganda, Botswana, Zambia or Zimbabwe. Just because "everyone" seem to recommend S. Africa might not make it a great destination for you. In fact, the more I learn, the lower on my list S. Africa falls, purely due to how many unique destinations and opportunities there are in all those other African destinations.
Old Jul 10th, 2017, 04:36 AM
Original Poster

One of the reasons South Africa comes to mind is that we also use lengthy, six week trips as a partial escape from the harsh winters here at home. We need a destination where we can affordably stay for that length of time and a place with lots of variety as far as activities and sites and experiences. Obviously, we wouldn't be interested in or able to afford six straight weeks of nothing but safari expeditions.

Thanks for all of your comments. As I said, we are in the thinking and investigating stage. Prior to a trip we (I) normally do a lot of in-depth research. So far it has served us well, and we have not yet gone on a major trip we haven't enjoyed and felt was a match for us.
Old Jul 10th, 2017, 04:49 AM

Why not visit more than one country? I haven't yet been to Africa so can't contribute any suggestions, although I've been following these threads as I'm hoping to plan a trip in another year or 2.

I'm drawn to both South Africa for its diversity and history but am also keen on exploring at least another country in East Africa, as they (all!) sound fascinating!
Old Jul 10th, 2017, 09:23 AM

Great point from Progol. Why limit yourself to one country? Many are adjacent, whether in the South or the East.E.g., Kenya and Uganda; or Rwanda and Uganda. You really, really should investigate more there!!
No one has suggested you do six straight weeks of safari!
Speaking of safari, the ones in countries you've mentioned having been on are entirely different from those in Africa. I already gave a suggestion in my reply above.
South Africa is not the only country which has good weather, and can be affordable during our US winters.
Researching is great, and of course pays off, but i can't help feeling in many ways, you are focusing on the wrong things for the continent.
I suggest--if not already done-- reading the extensive forums on tripadvisor. The one for Uganda was an excellent resource for me--sorry, not sure about the SA ones. At the very least, there's loads more 'traffic."
(Another idea is to return to India for trip #3. Have you checked out a place like Chandoorisai in Odisha? India, as you know, has enough for a year of traveling!!)
I totally understand JulieS about getting older affecting how and where and being selective in your long trip destinations. You posted a question about it in the lounge which was, as your topics often are, quite thought-provoking!
Old Jul 12th, 2017, 12:32 AM

http://www.fodors.com/community/afri...wned-on-me.cfm

Namibia is fantastic. Its Martian landscape is next to no other place on earth. I did this a couple of years ago. Though did not post a TR. Too lazy.Did exactly as the itinerary I've mentioned. Also managed skeleton coast. Will be able to help you with detailed planning if you or anyone interested. Including some great lodges.
The red Namib to the barren skeleton coast along the Atlantic and to the largest Etosha pan, visible from space.....

Can go on and on. ....
Old Jul 13th, 2017, 10:11 AM

inquest - totally agree if anyone is looking for something totally different the landscape in Namibia is the place.

Sossusvlei, Swakopmond, Walvis Bay, Sandwich Harbour, Kolmanskop, Etosha...just to name a few.