Jasper/Banff/Lake Louise 10 day trip help

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1st, 2016, 10:04 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Planning mid August 2017 trip to Canadian Rockies. My husband and I are retired so timing is flexible. We will be driving from the Nashville Tn area and this will be the first major destination on a long road trip.

I have poured over the postings and and trip reports and think 10 days will suffice to see most of the stuff we want without being rushed. We are hobby photographers, and enjoy 2-3 mile hikes.

I am now trying to figure out how to split my stays in the area and get a rough outline of the route to take to make the most of our time there.

I have not made any reservations yet as it seems they are not taking them this far out.

Any help on an outline itinerary would be great.
Old Aug 2nd, 2016, 11:24 AM

Welcome!

Ten days is perfect amount of time to explore the Rockies - you can easily fill more time, but that's enough time to see the area without being rushed.

It would help to know the previous and next stops on your road trip as that would suggest what you'd want to see on this trip. For instance, are you continuing on to Vancouver, or would you want to see more of BC in these 10 days?

If you have flexibility, I would try to come after our August long weekend (first Monday in August is a holiday here). That is usually the busiest weekend of the summer, and can be gridlock in the major tourist areas.

In general, we'd suggest an itinerary along these lines, though you can vary the amount of time spend in Lake Louise/Canmore/Banff before and after Jasper.

2 nights Lake Louise/Banff/Canmore
3-4 nights Jasper
3-5 more nights in Lake Louise/Banff/Canmore

August is peak season, so the farther ahead you can book the better, especially if you are looking for more budget accommodation. All accommodation in Banff and Lake Louise is listed at www.banfflakelouise.com. In Jasper there are some hotels, and many PHAs (private home accommodations). The latter are listed here www.stayinjasper.com

Standard hotel rooms generally start around $200-250 CAN, cheaper for PHAs. You can start looking now, though many places may not have 2017 rooms online now and/or not being answering enquiries for next season yet. Given the very very strong demand for rooms, few places are putting many or any rooms on third party sites (like booking.com), so strongly suggest you book/search directly with the hotel/B&B/PHA.
Old Aug 3rd, 2016, 04:46 AM
Original Poster

We will be coming from a stop to visit friends in Minnesota, so the trip to the Rockies will be little sightseeing. After leaving we will continue on to Seattle to visit more friends and the sightseeing in that area and on down through Oregon, California and back along I40 to home in Nashville. We do not plan to visit Vancouver on this trip.

Is there a reason you suggest splitting our Banff nights before and after Jasper, or are you saying to spend the nights around Banff in two different areas, say first 2 night Lake Louise then on the return after Jasper to stay in Banff?

Thanks for the tip on timing. We will definitely wait until at least the second week in August to hit the area. Would waiting until the last week make much of a difference? We don't want to hit the Labor Day crowd by waiting until first of September.

Thanks for any help. The choices for thing to do are overwhelming and I am just trying to get some kind of outline started for our stay here.
Old Aug 3rd, 2016, 07:23 AM

kgsneds gives great advice and I won't argue with it, and s/he helped me plan my trip, but another option, since you are flexible, is to wait till the second week of September, after the Labor Day crowds have gone.

I went in mid September three years ago and it was beautiful, with mostly great weather, early traces of fall colors and no crowds - the latter being the best part of all to me.

I drove directly to Lake Louise from Calgary for 3 nights, then up to Jasper for 4 nights, then back to Canmore for 4 nights. I loved the entire area but I could have been very happy with 5 nights in Jasper.

Like you I enjoy short hikes and photography and that itinerary allowed for seeing most everything I wanted to see, do several easy hikes and take thousands of pictures -- all in a leisurely way.

Two of my cousins are there right now, following pretty much the same itinerary as mine, I wrote a trip report if you want more detail.

The Canadian Rockies are among the most beautiful places I've ever been in my life - and I've been around quite a bit!
Old Aug 3rd, 2016, 07:28 AM

My trip was 2 years ago, not 3. Time flies!
Old Aug 3rd, 2016, 11:02 AM

Yes - mid September is a gorgeous time in the mountains, though these days the crowds may still be around. Especially next year with free parks passes. But less busy than August, especially mid week.

To answer your question - the suggestion to split your time in Banff/Lake Louise is to allow you to go to and from Jasper.

Since you'd be coming & departing via the Banff/Lake Louise/Calgary area (most folks fly into Calgary, but you'd be driving), you would want to stop in the area before heading up to Jasper and again before heading south/west.

If you are headed to Seattle after this trip, it's worth taking a few days to see part of southern BC. Head out via the TCH (Highway 1) through Glacier and Revelstoke NPs, and perhaps see a bit of the Okanagan.
Old Aug 3rd, 2016, 12:33 PM
Original Poster

Panecott, I just read you wonderful trip report and made copious notes. Thanks for taking the time, it is very helpful.

kgsneds, I don't think we can push it into September due to commitments back home, but will stick with later in August after the holiday.

I will also give some thought to going through Revelstoke and Glacier. Do you suggest going south on 97 at Okanagan Falls to cross into the US? Google says roughly 5 hrs to Kelwona BC. I figure and overnight around there will give us a leisurely drive that day.

I am thinking Banff 4 nights, Jasper 4 nights, Lake Louise 2 nights. Doing it in this order will put us closer to head out to Revelstoke on our last morning?
Old Aug 3rd, 2016, 05:07 PM

I'm not familiar with Revelstoke, but if you can fit Glacier in, by all means do so! It will be a continuation of the beauty you'll see in the Canadian Rockies - it's one of my favorite NP's.

Glad the report helps.
Old Aug 4th, 2016, 03:47 AM
Original Poster

panecot, Are you talking about Glacier in the US or Canada? I was referring to the route over to Seattle that kgsneds suggested and think it is through the Canadian Glacier park. Is that right kgsneds?

I had thought about doing US Glacier on the way up, but I think we will save that for another trip.
Old Aug 4th, 2016, 04:54 AM

Yes, I was thinking about Glacier NP in Montana. I didn't realize there's a Glacier NP in Canada, too!

I'll have to look into it for my next trip.
Old Aug 4th, 2016, 10:27 AM

Yes - I was referring to Glacier NP in Canada. Glacier NP in Montana would be a bit of detour on the way to Seattle. Revelstoke NP is nice as well - you can drive to quite high elevations up the Meadows in the Sky Rd.

I think going south on 97 would be quite scenic - I've only gone from the Rockies to Seattle once, and went via TCH all the way because it was the shortest route. But am hoping to explore the Okanagan in the future.
Old Aug 4th, 2016, 01:31 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your help. I am starting to put together a detailed itinerary and will probably asking advice on it. Now, if the hotels would just start taking booking for next August. UGH, I hate waiting.
Old Aug 4th, 2016, 03:03 PM

I would certainly recommend the route through Glacier and Revelstoke National Parks. Rogers' Pass in Glacier is a magnificent sight.

Follow the Trans-Canada Highway to Sicamous and head south on 97 through the Okanagan Valley to Osoyoos, where you can cross into Washington and on to Seattle.It's a beautiful part of the country. At that time of year there will be lots of fruit for sale all through the Okanagan, and while it will be a bit early for the wine harvest, there are countless vineyards along the way, all offering tastings of their vintages.
Old Aug 5th, 2016, 09:49 AM

We were in the Canadian Rockies in June this year, stayed in both Jasper and Banff. To my surprise, we much preferred Jasper. Banff seemed just mobbed with tourists and tour buses - Jasper is much more low key, small-town, but just as beautiful.

My 2 cents!
Old Aug 6th, 2016, 10:31 AM
Original Poster

We are probably going to split our stay with 4 nights Banff, 4 nights Jasper and end with 2 nights Lake Louise. Anyone have any recommendations on lodging? We are not really into homestays and would rather do a hotel or maybe even a cabin.
Old Aug 8th, 2016, 11:05 AM

You'll need to be a bit patient - at the moment, hotels and B&Bs in the Rockies are very busy with this summer's guests. So probably not focused on next year until at least September, if not later.

Not really much in the way of cabins in the Rockies because strict limits on development mean there is little accommodation outside the townsites. A number of hotels have cabin style units, though they tend to be on the pricer side.

In Lake Louise, if you want cabins, Paradise is the only places that would fit the bill. Within walking distance of the lake, but no restaurant, so you'd have to drive or walk elsewhere to eat (the units are self catering). I believe that Baker Creek, about 15-20 minutes from Lake Louise, has cabins. Or Emerald Lake Lodge over in Yoho NP.

In Banff, all accommodations are listed at www.banfflakelouise.com -- some hotels have units in smaller buildings.

In Jasper, Bear Hill has very simple "cabins", as does I believe Alpine Village. Most units at the Jasper Park Lodge are in 2-4 unit cabins, though certainly not cheap. Beyond that it's fairly standard hotels or PHAs.
Old Aug 8th, 2016, 12:52 PM
Original Poster

I have sent out some inquiries and believe it or not, several places reported back they are already booked for my dates in August 2017. It looks like I need to get on this quickly and at least get something booked at all three places.
Old Aug 10th, 2016, 01:35 PM
Original Poster

I have now sketched out a rough itinerary and would love some feedback on it. Is it a reasonable route and am I giving us enough time to enjoy the areas? Anything I have left out that We should be seeing?

I am also planning to spend the first night in the area in Canmore since it is a little less expensive and we will be arriving late in the day. I figure this will give us a full day of touring when starting toward Banff on the second day.

Any thoughts on my accomodation choices would be welcomed too.

Here is my outline.

Day 1 Canmore
Canmore overnight (nothing booked yet)

Day 2 Banff
Johnston Canyon
Vermillion Lakes
Mount Norquay Viewpoint
Surprise Corner Viewpoint
Hoodoos Viewpoint
Send night 2 at Banff Inn (Booked)

Day 3 Banff
Bow Falls Hike
Banff Springs Hotel
Cascades Ponds
Lake Minnewanka---Stewart Canyon Trail --- Boat ride?
Johnson Lake
Two Jacks Lake Viewpoint
Spend night 3 at Banff Inn

Day 4 Banff
Tunnel Mountain
Bow Valley Pkwy
Spend night 4 at Banff Inn

Day 5 Banff
Takkawaka falls via Bow Valley Pkwy
Natural Bridge
Emerald Lake
Spend night 5 at Banff Inn

Day 6 Icefields Pkwy to Jasper
Bow Lake-Parker Ridge Trail
Bow Summit
Herbert Lake
Mistaya Canyon
Sunwapta Falls
Goat Lick Pkwy 17km after Sunwapta Falls parking lot.
Valley Of Five Lakes
Spend night in Jasper Patricia Lake Bungalows (reservation requested when they open them in Nov.)

Day 7 Jasper
Maligne Canyon
Medicine Lake
Lake Annette
Spend night in Jasper Patricia Lake Bungalows

Day 8 Jasper
Angel Glacier Loop Trail
Athabasca Falls
Toe of Athabasca Glacier

Day 9 Jasper
Mt Robson Provencial Park
Yellowhead Lake, Moose Lake, Overlander Falls

Day 10 Icefields Pkwy to Lake Louise
Tangle Falls
Saskatchewan River Crossing
Waterfowl Lake
Peyto Lake
Spend night in Lake Louise Mountaineer Lodge (booked)

Day 11 Lake Louise
Moraine Lake
Lake Louise Trail
Lake Ohara
Spend night in Lake Louise Mountaineer Lodge

Day 12 Leave for Kelowna
Old Aug 11th, 2016, 10:44 AM

Day 2-4 -- see what you actually get done based on energy and weather. You can move stuff around, especially since I think Day 4 will be relatively short with your current plan. I would do Johnston Canyon on Day 4.

Day 5 - no point in taking Bow Valley Parkway if you've given yourself all of Day 4 for that. And the parkway only goes to Lake Louise anyway. Just go via the Trans Canada the whole way - has the better views, actually.

Day 6- just note that Parker's Ridge is nowhere near Bow Lake. It's up the Columbia Icefields. Bow Summit is the overlook for Peyto Lake, which you have listed on your return trip.

Day 7- I assume you will head all the way up to Maligne Lake - Medicine Lake is interesting, but Maligne Lake is the point of driving up that road.

Day 8 - I would do the Athabasca Glacier on Day 6 or Day 10. You have time on both days. Note that the glacier is nowhere near Athabasca Falls - the falls are about 20-25 minutes outside of Jasper, the glacier is another 45-60 minutes beyond that. I would do Edith Cavell first, then you will be right near Athabasca Falls. Though you could easily do the falls on Day 6 or Day 10 and have time for something else.

Day 11 - You can only visit Lake O'Hara if you are able to get a bus ticket. Tickets go onsale in April and sell out within an hour or less. It's also a full day trip - Lake O'Hara itself isn't particular scenic - the real views start a 30-45 minute hike beyond the lake. If you aren't going to spend a full day, we'd respectfully suggest that you leave the limited tickets for those who will.

Also, I would split Moraine Lake and Lake Louise into two days. You could do one on the day you do the Bow Valley Parkway (which is actually a fairly short drive - it's more about the wildlife, as the views are quite limited). Parking is an issue at both Lake Louise and Moraine Lake, so both are best visited first thing in the morning.
Old Aug 11th, 2016, 05:06 PM
Original Poster

I will use your suggestions and move things around. After looking again at the maps, I can see it makes more sense this way. We are not interested in hiking a great distance, so will take Lake O'hara off the list.

Any tips on what to do in Canmore if we arrive there late afternoon on our drive up?

Thanks so much for your help.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -