Day Trips from Portland, Oregon

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19th, 2016, 11:07 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello...I'm traveling to Portland, Oregon in July for 11 days. I'm staying with a relative there who will be busy working for a majority of my trip. I would like to take several day trips ... Am interested in seeing the coast , mountains , hiking , wine country , etc. I will have access to a car most days. I'm not opposed to taking a bus up to Seattle for a day as well. Also was wondering if it's worth going up to Vancouver , Washington or any other areas you can suggest...Thank you...
Old Apr 20th, 2016, 05:13 AM

The Columbia River gorge, Willamette Valley wineries, and the Oregon Coast can be visited as day trips from Portland, but I don't know how to do them without a car.

Seattle is not a day trip.

Vancouver is worth going to. So is Victoria, which I prefer. However, this may be too much to undertake since there are great options nearer by.

Any other areas you can suggest. I always suggest Mt. Rainier.

HTtY
Old Apr 20th, 2016, 05:47 AM

Cannon Beach/Seaside is only 90 minutes west of downtown Portland. The gorge starts about 15 minutes east of downtown. Willamette Valley wineries start about 30 minutes SW of downtown. That gives you an idea of how close many things are here.

In the Willamette Valley, we have over 400 wineries in this region alone. There is also the Evergreen Aviation and Space Museum here, which is very good.

You can hike right in downtown, up in Forest Park which is just past the NW 23rd area a tad bit. Hundreds of miles of trails! A popular one, for good reason, is the Wildwood Trail. I like going from the zoo up to Pittock Mansion on it, and on a clear day, the views from PM out over the city and to Mt Hood are stunning.

Silver Falls State Park, just east of Salem, is wonderful. There is the Trail of Ten Falls, which is only 7 miles long and an easy hike. At the big falls there (the south falls) you walk under the falls. If it is a nice day, you can go down to the pool of water below and cool off.

On the way to the coast, Saddle Mountain is a great hike. Panoramic views from the summit. It is located about 13 miles before you reach the cutoff for 101.

The gorge has tons of great hiking, both on the OR and WA side. More trails than you can imagine. If you need suggestions, just ask. We hike there frequently.

Seattle can be a day trip, but it is a full day, so just be aware. Taking Amtrak is a nice way to go if you do not want to drive, although it really limits how much time you would have in town since you are at their mercy for the schedule. If you drive, which I would do, from downtown Portland to downtown Seattle is typically right at 3 hours. We live in both places and make the drive weekly, and have for years, so know the time all too well. I would leave Portland in the early morning and then leave Seattle to come back after dinner time. That way you avoid the rush hour bit. Leaving Portland you will be going against traffic.

If you want to add Vancouver BC, then incorporate that with Seattle and just take the train.
Old Apr 20th, 2016, 08:10 AM

Adding Mt. St. Helens to the list, which could work either as a day trip from Portland, or a side trip on the drive to/from Seattle.
Old Apr 20th, 2016, 08:15 AM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
Just so you know the Amtrak schedule - Train 500 leaves PDX at 8:20AM and you get to SEA at about noon (could be late).
The last train back to Portland is #509 which leaves SEA @ 6:05PM getting back to Portland about 9:45 to 10PM.
You can see a lot of Seattle in 5.5 hours.
If you do have a car, you should drive for most of your day trips.
Old Apr 22nd, 2016, 03:23 PM

I would opine that Seattle depends entirely upon how far away you live, and on your chances of getting back (t)here anytime soon, or ever.

With a base in Portland, there are PLENTY of day trips you can make to keep yourself gaining tourist experiences without needing to go as far north as Seattle.

The definites are

a drive east through the Columbia Gorge maybe as far as Maryhill, WA, to visit the full-sized replica of Stonehenge there (mostly because it makes for a good turning-around point).

(be sure to include Multnomah Falls in that)

MAYbe combine that trip with a circuit of Mount Hood, and definitely a visit to Timberline Lodge.

Oregon coast, for as long a trip as you can handle in whatever time you allow for it

Maybe Mount St. Helens (but only if it is CLEAR weather

Possibly Mount Rainier, well up north

(if you know anyone who was into the Twilight movie series, and who would be impressed if you had photos of yourself in front of many of the early-series movie sets, then a short trip from Portland to St Helens, Oregon is most appropriate... just for photo-taking in a cute little town)

Crater Lake would make for a long haul, but it is certainly unique (4 1/2 hour drive each way, and 250 miles one-way)

Seattle itself is less than 3 hours away with no traffic, but there will likely be traffic... and you really deserve more than a day trip to gain enough from it... although at least, in July, the daylight hours will be considerable, to optimize whatever time you have.

I think you need to narrow-down what you are most interested in, and then have the people here refine it a bit for you.

Vancouver, WA... is so close that you may accidentally get/be there, but it prooooooooooobably isn't worth anything special in the way of effort.

(I have no idea how Canada came into discussion here)