Scuol, Switzerland

Search

Scuol, Switzerland

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17th, 2014, 10:07 PM
Original Poster

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
Scuol, Switzerland

I'm trying to put the finishing touches on our upcoming trip to Switzerland and Germany.

I've plowed through all the notes I've gathered from various online sources and come up with a possible list of things to do during our week in Scuol, with an emphasis on winter hiking.

Just wondering if I've overlooked something, keeping in mind that we've already taken a tour of Schloss Tarasp.

Bogn Engadina mineral pool (please tell me that we can wear bathing suits?)

Horse-drawn carriage ride from Scuol - San Jon to the hamlet S-charl with cheese fondue in the Gasthaus Mayor

Motta Naluns gondola then walk from Prui to Ftan or sled down to Ftan. I understand it’s also possible to walk from Motta Nalus to Jonvrai and on to Sent?

Walk from Ftan - Ardez - Guarda or vice versa (did part of this last year)

Walk to Hof Zuort via Vna (did this last year too), then take the trail to Hotel Val Sinestra (is it possible to continue on to Sent in the winter?)

Walk from Scuol to Tarasp - Vulpera, possibly continue to Restaurant Avrona.

Tschlin, 30 minute bus ride from Scuol - can’t find out what might be there other than the microbrewery, and not sure if it’ll be open??? I understand we must book in advance in Scuol.
Mustair, Benedictine Convent of Saint John, St John’s Abby - I've already confirmed opening hours with them directly

Müstair and Tschierv – tobogganing?

Bus to Samnaun, hike above town (repeat)

Any reason to go to Strada? Any winter hiking there?

All suggestions appreciated!
Old Nov 18th, 2014, 04:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"Walk from Ftan - Ardez - Guarda": the trail continues up to Lavin - Susch.
Mustair claustra: I suppose you know that you can do a roundtrip (by bus): Scuol - Nauders - Mals - Mustair - Zernez - train - Scuol.
Samnaun: you may take the gondola to Alp Trider Sattel
http://www.fahrplanfelder.ch/fileadm.../2015/2995.pdf
Winter hiking trails:
http://www.engadin.com/ski-mehr/wint...anderwege/?S=2
http://www.mountainstar.info/en/aust...winter-hiking/
Old Nov 18th, 2014, 09:51 AM

> Bogn Engadina mineral pool (please tell me that we can wear bathing suits?)

Yes, you can - but not in the sauna area, of course (which is separate).

> Motta Naluns gondola then walk from Prui to Ftan or sled down to Ftan. I understand it’s also possible to walk from Motta Nalus to Jonvrai and on to Sent?

The walk is from Motta Naluns to Prui, from there you either walk or sled down to Ftan. You can continue the walk to Scuol (gondola/train station).

Yes, the walk from Motta Naluns to Sent via Jonvrai is doable - if conditions are right. It's often closed, either because it's not groomed or because of danger of avalanches.

> Walk to Hof Zuort via Vna (did this last year too), then take the trail to Hotel Val Sinestra (is it possible to continue on to Sent in the winter?)

We talked about this earlier if I recall correctly. There is a gravel road that goes higher up through the woods from Hof Zuort via Val Sinestra Hotel to Sent, but it's not always cleared of snow. Again, depends on the conditions ... just ask directly. You can definitely NOT take the direct hiking trail from Hof Zuort via Val Sinestra to Sent, which goes over two suspension bridges. This one is closed in winter.

> Tschlin, 30 minute bus ride from Scuol - can’t find out what might be there other than the microbrewery, and not sure if it’ll be open??? I understand we must book in advance in Scuol.

Tschlin is just another picturesque village. There is also a walking trail groomed that makes a loop above the village - beautiful views and nice trail through the woods. Beside the microbrewery there is also a goat farm with cheese making in Tschlin, tours are co-ordinated so that you first see the microbrewery, then the goat farm. Yes, reservation in advance required. No idea if the goat farm is worth the time in winter, though - no cheesemaking then, I guess.

> Müstair and Tschierv – tobogganing?

From Lü down to Tschierv. Bus from Fuldera up to Lü.

> Any reason to go to Strada? Any winter hiking there?

Not really. And the hiking there is not too attractive.

What you are missing/not mentioning:

- Dried beef tasting at Hatecke's in Scuol/Center Augustin. One of the best producers (butcher) of the dried beef (Bündner Fleisch).

- An excursion to the Upper Engadine possibly?

- If you're very much into tobogganing, then you might consider a trip to Preda/Bergün, where the pass road is closed in winter and open for tobogganing. It's long and interesting, following the Albula railway route with tunnels, viaducts etc.

- an excursion to Klosters/Davos - lots of winter hiking trails there, too.
Old Nov 18th, 2014, 12:14 PM

You can take the fairly new rail tunnel to the Davos area quickly for a new area to hike in or just to see Davos and its lovely area.
Old Nov 18th, 2014, 01:39 PM
Original Poster

Great suggestions, thank you.

neckervd -

Is this part of the Via Engadina Trail? I'd run across it in my research, but it appears to be a multi-day walk and I'm not clear on how far can be walked in a day and how one would get back to the starting point. Do you know how long it takes to get as far as Susch? Can we bus/train back to Scuol from there?

Thanks for the links - I'll take a look at them.

Ingo - yes we talked about the Val Sinestra walk earlier, I was still confused when I posted. Thank you for clearing that up. I think I get it now!

Good to know about Strada, I'll scratch it from the list.

Also good to know about the walking loop above Tschlin.

We do like tobogganing, but ever since a particularly bad crash and burn above Zermatt a few years ago, I'm a bit chicken. Must get back on that sled and face my fears.
Old Nov 18th, 2014, 03:50 PM
kja

I'm so jealous, Melnq8! I know it will be a delightful trip.

Just thought I'd mention that I had a delicious meal at the Hotel Helvetia in Mustair, in case you have time before / after your visit to the magnifent convent.
Old Nov 18th, 2014, 03:52 PM
Original Poster

Thank you kja, I've added that to my notes!
Old Nov 23rd, 2014, 05:25 AM

Public transport in Engiadina Bassa:
Zernez - Susch - Lavin - Guarda - Ardez - Scuol:
trains every hr from 5.46 until 22.46
Martina - Ramosch - Scuol:
buses every hr from 6.01 until 20.01
Scuol - Sent:
buses every hr from 6.30 until 22.25, every 30 min between 13.30 and 17.30
Scuol - Martina - Samnaun:
buses every hr from 7.30 until 19.30, except 18.30
connecting buses from Martina to Nauders - Mals and trains from Mals to Merano - Bolzano (every hr)
connecting buses from Nauders to Landeck and trains from Landeck to innsbruck every hr until Scuol dp 16.30
Old Nov 23rd, 2014, 02:02 PM
Original Poster

I'm confused neckervd - are we still talking about the Engadina Trail?
Old Nov 24th, 2014, 09:48 AM

The buses from Martina to Landeck and Mals are outside the Via Engiadina.
Old Dec 26th, 2014, 06:19 AM
Original Poster

Finishing up our stay in Scuol - leave tomorrow for Gstaad. Took the train and bus to Mustair today, and took kja's advice on lunch at Hotel Helvetia - OMG - we discovered pizoccals Val Mustair - I thought I'd died and gone to heaven.

Thank you kja!
Old Dec 26th, 2014, 10:08 AM
kja

That's what I ate for dinner there, Melnq8 - SO tasty! I'm glad you enjoyed it -- thanks so much for letting me know and bringing back a great memory!
Old Dec 27th, 2014, 11:45 AM

Hi Melnq8,
So...are you enjoying the snowfall in Gstaad?
How was the train ride?
Old Dec 28th, 2014, 08:21 AM
Original Poster

Weissertee -

We're up to our armpits in snow here in Blankenburg and loving every minute of it. Went to Lenk today, will head towards Gstaad tomorrow. And last year's failure to find Swiss wine we liked has been more than rectified - we've had copious amounts of some pretty lovely Pinot Noir.

I made the mistake of ordering Aelplermakkronen for lunch today - downright sinful! There aren't enough wanderwegs in Switzerland to work that stuff off!
Old Jan 5th, 2015, 10:43 PM
Original Poster

Many thanks for all the help - we've just returned to hot and sticky Perth (a record breaking 111 degrees F yesterday) and I'm already missing the cold and snow.

Had a wonderful time, a mixed bag of weather, some lovely accommodation and entirely too much good food.

Report to follow, assuming I don't fall over from heat exhaustion first.
Old Jan 5th, 2015, 10:47 PM
kja

What a brutal "welcome" home! Argh. Good luck settling back in.
Old Jan 5th, 2015, 11:02 PM
Original Poster

Thanks kja, and thanks so much for your recommendations!
Old Jan 5th, 2015, 11:13 PM
kja

P.S. -- just saw your other post about Gstaad and Montreux. I sincerely wish you had found them more to your liking, but I am also a bit relieved to learn that I'm not the only Fodorite who didn't love them. To each his/her own, and I intend no criticism of those who do treasure them. I was glad to have seen them long enough to confirm that they were not places I wanted to linger. I hope you had a few nice moments, too.

Again, welcome home!
Old Jan 5th, 2015, 11:40 PM
Original Poster

kja -

I was so put off by Gstaad and Montreaux that I didn't even want to linger, and that's just not like me.

We visited Montreaux eons ago and we didn't like it then either, but couldn't remember why, so we gave it another try. It didn't even feel like Switzerland to me.

Gstaad's fur-clad pretentiousness put me off to the point that I was unwilling to go back to explore its mountains...I'm sure that the week-after-after Christmas thing played a big part in that, so I'd give it another go in a quieter season...maybe.
Old Jan 6th, 2015, 12:18 AM
kja

Ouch!

I spent 2 nights in Montreux, but didn't actually spend any time in the town itself -- I just walked to a restaurant and then a bit more to see the waterfront. I spent about 20 minutes in Gstaad, during which I appreciated the chalets' woodwork and a few murals at a church, but I readily admit that I found the town WAY too upscale for me. I think I mentioned, in advance of your trip, that this was not my favorite area of Switzerland. I'm glad I saw these places, but they weren't the kind of places that I seek -- and I'm sorry to hear that it seems that they weren't to your liking, either.

I sincerely hope that your time in the incomparable Graubunden gave you enough memories to tide you over to next year.

Happy New Year, Melnq8!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -