We just returned from a wonderful trip to France (October 11-20, 2007). The main reason to go was to attend our friends' wedding in the Loire Valley. Our itinerary was as follows:
Oct 11-13 Wedding
Oct 14-17 Loire Valley
Oct 18-20 Paris (during the strike)
Who "we" are?
Some of you may have read my trip reports before. Anyway, on this trip, "we" are myself and DH, both in our 30s. My parents (60s & 70s) joined us from Oct 14 onward. In Paris, my parents did their own sightseeing.
[My parents actually flew to Brussels the week before and they traveled on their own in Belgium, Luxembourg, Nancy and then to the Loire.]
All 4 of us have been to Paris before, with Dad having been the most times. Mom, Dad and I visited briefly to the Loire Valley (mainly Blois) in the early 80s. I myself revisited the Loire Valley (using public transport) in the early 90s. This is DH's first time to the Loire.
I read many trip reports here - so thanks to all who have posted them.
The main preparation I did was reading a few books about the history of the Loire before the trip. Thanks to those who replied to my thread
I read Eleanor of Aquitaine, the Loire Valley section of Ina Caro's The Road from the Past, and part of Diane Haeger's Courtesan (about François I, Henri II, Diane de Poitiers, and Catherine de Medici).
We were lucky to have sunny weather almost everyday. We had rain one morning. The first half of the trip temps were 50s-60s, the second half was cooler, 40s-50s. I get cold easily, so on the 2nd half of the trip, I had wool gloves, scarf and wool hat on.
Okay, instead of my usual trip report format (day-to-day account), this time I'll list it by several headings:
Where we stayed
What we did
What/Where we ate
Driving in France
I possibly will come up with a few more as I go on...
yk's Trip Report to Loire Valley & Paris (inclu lots of good food, a gorgeous chateau wedding, and barely survived the strike in Paris!)
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Trip from Vienna to Budapest
- 2 A taste of Scotland and Ireland
- 3 Cafe Sacher Vienna - go or not -thoughts
- 4 Where to stay in Varenna, Italy for 2 nights?
- 5 Alhambra questions
- 6 Berlin: evening dining
- 7 Ef Tour 10 days in Bavaria then 15 in Köthen
- 8 Help me choose between hotel spas in Austria/Bavaria!
- 9 Italy: How to get from Venice to Todi, Italy
- 10 Which disposable cell phone to buy in France?
- 11 italy-switzerland travel advice in mid to late May
- 12 Need help extending plan beyond France
- 13 Quick Survey for my thesis about online travel services
- 14 International Lhotse Expedition autumn 2015
- 15 Help with Itinerary, choosing Florence and Venice over Chianti area
- 16 Great Britain Car Tour Help!
- 17 Southern Europe trip (10 NIGHTS - Paris, Barcelona, Milan-Venice-Rome)
- 18 Itinerary help for 3 weeks Frankfurt to Paris
- 19 Transferwise: My latest experience in currency exchange
- 20 London Weekend
- 21 Rome Itinerary -- done my homework, please comment
- 22 Mont St. Michele?
- 23 Where to stay near Pont du Gard
- 24 Hoping to stay cool this summer - any comments on my northern itinerary?
- 25 France 8 days