I just got off the plane earlier today after a 6-day solo trip to London. Thanks to everyone who helped me plan my trip, made suggestions, and answered my questions.
Background and Preparation
Briefly about me. I'm in my early 30s and married. I lived in London for 1 year in the early 1990s, and since have visited London no less than a dozen times. I have visited most of the major tourist sites, so this time I focused on some of the less visited, less mentioned places.
I planned this trip a month ago, when I found out I had a week off in early September. DH couldn't take the time off, and since my birthday was in August, I decided to treat myself a solo birthday trip. I requested an upgrade for the outbound trip when I bought my ticket a month ago, and thankfully, the upgrade came through 3 days before I departed.
Most of my prior trips to Lodnon were very short, mostly 2-3 days. This time I stayed put in London for 5 full days.
I enjoy going to art museums, and before I left the US, I pre-booked several exhibitions including the ones at National Gallery, Tate Modern, and Royal Academy of Arts.
As far as guidebooks is concerned, the only one I brought was the Blue Guide to Museums and Galleries of London, recommended by Fodorite noe. I liked it though wish it were lighter in weight. I also had my indispensible Streetwise map.
Dallas to London
As I've mentioned, my upgrade to Business class went through ($300 + 25k miles). AA operates a 3-class 777 for this route. This was my first time flying Business class, and gee, I can get used to it! The food was good, the service was great, and the seat obviously was much more comfortable than economy.
Our plane arrived 15 minutes late into Gatwick at around 8:15am.
BTW, before I left, I found out there was gonna be a 3-day Tube strike in London, beginning the evening before I arrived. I was hoping they would cancel the strike the very next day, but alas, the strike was still very much alive when I arrived Tuesday morning on Sept 4th.
yk's slightly off the beaten path London Trip Report (incl how I survived Tube strike; and dinner with someone famous!)
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Train from Barcelona to Madrid
- 2 Venice to Milan train tickets (for August travel) sold out already?
- 3 Manchester or Heathrow?
- 4 Getting from London to Southhampton
- 5 London Tube strike scheduled for Apr 28 (2 days) and May 5 (3 days). Help!
- 6 Two weeks in Paris ... how to fill?
- 7 campsite availability in peak season - Spain/Portgual/France
- 8 3 AM Arrival in Santorini OK?
- 9 West Ireland with 81 year old mother - Pls Review Itinerary
- 10 21 Days in Central Europe
- 11 Venice canal boats--best deals?
- 12 Rome to Pisa or Bologna to Pisa-Train...Help needed!
- 13 Greece--Crete or Peloponnis?
- 14 Day trip to Rothenberg from Munich
- 15 best time to book accommodation
- 16 Madrid Tapas Tour
- 17 Oktoberfest reservations
- 18 Experience with car service "Paris Cab" and others that have carseats?
- 19 How to get from Charles de Gaulle Airport to Gare du Nord?
- 20 No points in Paris .....
- 21 Getting to San Seb from Madrid
- 22 Advice for budget trip to Venice, espec trains & Groupons
- 23 Florence & Rome Itinerary, hotel, tour co. critique please!
- 24 Amsterdam / Belgium Itinerary
- 25 Pronunciation