I just got off the plane earlier today after a 6-day solo trip to London. Thanks to everyone who helped me plan my trip, made suggestions, and answered my questions.
Background and Preparation
Briefly about me. I'm in my early 30s and married. I lived in London for 1 year in the early 1990s, and since have visited London no less than a dozen times. I have visited most of the major tourist sites, so this time I focused on some of the less visited, less mentioned places.
I planned this trip a month ago, when I found out I had a week off in early September. DH couldn't take the time off, and since my birthday was in August, I decided to treat myself a solo birthday trip. I requested an upgrade for the outbound trip when I bought my ticket a month ago, and thankfully, the upgrade came through 3 days before I departed.
Most of my prior trips to Lodnon were very short, mostly 2-3 days. This time I stayed put in London for 5 full days.
I enjoy going to art museums, and before I left the US, I pre-booked several exhibitions including the ones at National Gallery, Tate Modern, and Royal Academy of Arts.
As far as guidebooks is concerned, the only one I brought was the Blue Guide to Museums and Galleries of London, recommended by Fodorite noe. I liked it though wish it were lighter in weight. I also had my indispensible Streetwise map.
Dallas to London
As I've mentioned, my upgrade to Business class went through ($300 + 25k miles). AA operates a 3-class 777 for this route. This was my first time flying Business class, and gee, I can get used to it! The food was good, the service was great, and the seat obviously was much more comfortable than economy.
Our plane arrived 15 minutes late into Gatwick at around 8:15am.
BTW, before I left, I found out there was gonna be a 3-day Tube strike in London, beginning the evening before I arrived. I was hoping they would cancel the strike the very next day, but alas, the strike was still very much alive when I arrived Tuesday morning on Sept 4th.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Short Spain Trip - questions
- 2 Are St. Chapelle concerts just for tourists?
- 3 3 weeks in Italy - Family of 4
- 4 Not a good time to fly into LGW
- 5 How to best reach the Lofoten Islands from Oslo, Norway? (four day trip)
- 6 Input on Itinerary for Visit to Bavaria and Austria Fall 2017
- 7 AIR BERLIN SALE
- 8 Reliable tour companies for day trips?
- 9 Urgent- Pleaseee HELP - Spain, Italy or France for Xmass and New years
- 10 Train help for Prague
- 11 Choosing a hotel - Campo de' Fiori or Piazza Venezia?
- 12 Iceland Ring Road itinerary
- 13 Amsterdam and Germany 9 days
- 14 driving from prague to salzburg
- 15 Swiss Trip Itineraryand Charges
- 16 Swiss Travel Pass
- 17 Article on assistance for US citizens with difficulties abroad
- 18 Europe Travel & Trivia Quiz #138- Bridges, Tunnels!
- 19 12 Day Central Europe Itinerary
- 20 Germany train help!
- 21 Brouhaha in Britain Over New 5 Pound Notes!
- 22 dining on the 25th in Dublin
- 23 Milan to Switzerland for skiing
- 24 Paris + Amsterdam: where to stay
- 25 Our Italian Honeymoon (first timers)
yk's slightly off the beaten path London Trip Report (incl how I survived Tube strike; and dinner with someone famous!)