My husband and I are planning a trip to western Europe for this winter, December-January, for about 3 weeks.
Background: My husband lived in a few of these cities as a child but he has not visited since then, I have never been to Europe. We are fairly experienced travelers in the US and Canada. We took a 3+ week road trip through the US, hitting 15 states and many cities, for our honeymoon. We took a similar trip, 1 week road trip through the eastern part of Canada, with stops in 5 major cities and other small cities. We've also taken many other shorter trips.
Right now we are thinking that we will be traveling from about December 20-January 10. But nothing is booked yet. We are available to travel December 18-January 14 but plan for a 3 week trip.
I am most concerned about Christmas and the week between Christmas and New Years. I don't want to be stuck with most places closed.
We would like to visit the following cities in this order, though the list is slightly flexible:
French Country Side (1)
*parenthesis being the number of nights spent in that city.
We primarily plan to travel by train but realize a few of these legs would be best traveled by plane.
Generally, I am looking for advice and suggestions based on the above information. Specifically, about traveling during the holiday season.
Thank you in advance for sharing your advice!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Where to go in Warsaw and Krakow?
- 2 12-14 nights enough ?
- 3 Updated Southern Croatia Trip (recommendations please)
- 4 Bring US appliances to Germany?
- 5 5 Days in Bernese Oberland
- 6 Western/Central Europe Itinerary help
- 7 Need help with my itinerary
- 8 Help me plan a 2 week trip to London and the Edinburgh Fringe Festival!
- 9 Ireland last minute recommendations
- 10 Transpennine Express-Ticket/No Seat Res
- 11 8ish days Zurich to Como...
- 12 For a Taste of Four Cultures on Two Contınents
- 13 France is losing the core of its historic provincial towns
- 14 23 day honeymoon to Greece
- 15 Killarney
- 16 Switzerland 8 day itinerary in May
- 17 2 WEEK EUROPE ITINERARY
- 18 5 days northern spain, help us !
- 19 Salon de l’Agriculture in Paris: foods, cows, orchid and Swissman
- 20 Spending Money for a 30 day trip
- 21 Greek Islands - Should we rent a car on Mykonos and Santorini?
- 22 3 Month Europe Itineray -- please critique
- 23 Prague and Budapest
- 24 Am i too dark to visit russia? Picture
- 25 Berlin, Germany