My husband and I are planning a trip to western Europe for this winter, December-January, for about 3 weeks.
Background: My husband lived in a few of these cities as a child but he has not visited since then, I have never been to Europe. We are fairly experienced travelers in the US and Canada. We took a 3+ week road trip through the US, hitting 15 states and many cities, for our honeymoon. We took a similar trip, 1 week road trip through the eastern part of Canada, with stops in 5 major cities and other small cities. We've also taken many other shorter trips.
Right now we are thinking that we will be traveling from about December 20-January 10. But nothing is booked yet. We are available to travel December 18-January 14 but plan for a 3 week trip.
I am most concerned about Christmas and the week between Christmas and New Years. I don't want to be stuck with most places closed.
We would like to visit the following cities in this order, though the list is slightly flexible:
French Country Side (1)
*parenthesis being the number of nights spent in that city.
We primarily plan to travel by train but realize a few of these legs would be best traveled by plane.
Generally, I am looking for advice and suggestions based on the above information. Specifically, about traveling during the holiday season.
Thank you in advance for sharing your advice!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Request Hotel Suggestion in London
- 2 사설토토 c p s 33 . c o m
- 3 Athens hotel with Acropolis view from room/balcony
- 4 Highclare Castle
- 5 Paris Metro Entrances. How to find?
- 6 First time to Spain: Seville & Madrid
- 7 Harry Potter, London Theater
- 8 Travelling to Russia during FIFA
- 9 Slovenia, Austria, Switzerland, Italy - scenic road trips/countryside?
- 10 Florence hotels: JK Place vs. Antica Torre di Via Tornabuoni
- 11 Wine visits from Barcelona
- 12 Barcelona rental for two couples??
- 13 Cash and Czech Crowns
- 14 Loire Valley best place to linger
- 15 Looking for a UK coach tour company for seniors
- 16 Estonia, Finland, and Iceland: Summer 2017
- 17 Help with 12 day UK Itinerary!
- 18 Mr & Mrs Annhig need your help planning bucket list trip to Switzerland
- 19 Salzburg-storing luggage at train station
- 20 Only 3 days: Asturias or French Basque?
- 21 Salzburg itinerary review
- 22 Return to Yorkshire to walk the Dales Way
- 23 Italy - 21 Day Itinerary for May, 2018
- 24 Globus Iberian Tour
- 25 Journees du patrimonie 2017