My boyfriend and I are flying up to Athens from Melbourne, Australia. We arrive 19th August at around midday and are allowing around 10 days (maybe a bit more as we are flexible) to see Athens and some of the Greek Islands. I have heard wonderful things about Santorini but if anyone could provide any information about other islands we should see and how many we could see?
Ideally we don't want to be island hopping every day, but if an island is only day worthy we are happy to take a day trip. We are not into partying at all and would like the steer clear of all the "touristy" kind of areas and "party" islands. We like good food and shopping and relaxing by the beach.
Also in terns of travelling between islands and Athens what is the best form of transport? Plane.. boat? I've heard the ferries can be a bit temperamental and cancelling during rough weather, do you think this will be likely during late august?
Any advise would be great, we are using the lonely planet books as our bibles but would love to hear some local information
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 venice/slovenia/croatia
- 2 Have You Ever Been Robbed in Europe?
- 3 If your question is "Is This Trip Crazy?"
- 4 North Carolinians Take Warning
- 5 December in Deutschland
- 6 spanish winery region(s)
- 7 Current Paris vacation rental news...
- 8 21 Days Family Trip Croatia-Budapest-Vienna-Prague-Munich
- 9 Uber in Paris: OK now ?
- 10 30 Days in France with Family (6 y/o, 23 mo), what city to stay?
- 11 Brussels for a Hen Party??? Ideas
- 12 The unrequested appetizers in Portugal
- 13 Help/Advice From Irish Locals and Experts
- 14 Best International Sim Card
- 15 Flight delayed to from Manchester to Amsterdam
- 16 Moscow and St Petersburg
- 17 Bandol port of call
- 18 Paris transportation from CDG term 2 to La Defense
- 19 A few highlights of our March trip to London
- 20 Plitvice Lakes - is it worth it for a short visit?
- 21 Rome, Florence, Venice and back to Rome in 5 days...doable?
- 22 Yummy Swiss bites
- 23 Where to stop along the way
- 24 One week trip in early May in the fjords region in Norway
- 25 Please Help! Europe in 5 days!