I am going to Europe in a month and would like to spend four days in Austria. I will be leaving from Lucerne, Switzerland and would prefer to take the train versus fly. I will have 4 days total to spend in Austria (including basically one day of travel time) so I'm wondering if I can only pick between Vienna or Salzburg which one you would recommend.
Granted, both are LONG trips from Lucerne which I'm not overly excited about (about 6 hours to Salzburg or 9 to Vienna) but if Vienna is a much better place to stay in then I'm willing to put up with an extra couple of hours on the train. Please let me know what your experiences are of the cities and which one was your favorite .
Vienna or Salzburg
- 1 Restaurant reservations Rome, Tuscany, Venice
- 2 Planning 4 nights S / SE of London for my parents in their late 60s
- 3 Portugal in September
- 4 Looking for Feedback on Belgium/Holland Itinerary
- 5 20 day Backpacking Trip
- 6 Sicily 10 days
- 7 Europe with young teens
- 8 New to Fodors: Please help with beginning stages of husband/wife trip
- 9 Spain itinerary complete - suggestions for inexpensive lodging?
- 10 Salamanca, Barcelona, o Valencia?
- 11 Bells, Balls and a Basilica – Cooking in Abruzzo; Eating & Drinking In Rome
- 12 2 weeks in UK to visit my daughter at Queen Mary Univ Dec 15-28 2013
- 13 Cycling and wine-tasting through Italy, Slovenia and Croatia
- 14 Wake up...all fodor posters who are so helpful...
- 15 Where to stay in Copenhagen
- 16 How to get from airport to Venice city
- 17 Belgium/Holland OR Paris/Strasbourg/Lucern
- 18 Advises for trip to Russia
- 19 First timer! Trip to London over New Year's next year!
- 20 Christmas windows of Boulevard Haussmann in Paris
- 21 Frankfurt to Bamberg day trip - train ticket question
- 22 First time traveler to Ireland
- 23 Scotland this summer - some initial planning questions
- 24 Belgium/Holland or Germany: Please help!
- 25 Euro Train