I am going to Europe in a month and would like to spend four days in Austria. I will be leaving from Lucerne, Switzerland and would prefer to take the train versus fly. I will have 4 days total to spend in Austria (including basically one day of travel time) so I'm wondering if I can only pick between Vienna or Salzburg which one you would recommend.
Granted, both are LONG trips from Lucerne which I'm not overly excited about (about 6 hours to Salzburg or 9 to Vienna) but if Vienna is a much better place to stay in then I'm willing to put up with an extra couple of hours on the train. Please let me know what your experiences are of the cities and which one was your favorite .
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Train in France-1st versus 2nd class?
- 2 13 days in Paris, plans and budget
- 3 TGV route Avignon - Paris
- 4 Beaches in Southern France
- 5 Going to Spain? Watch this movie.
- 6 Train from London to Leeds and from York to London
- 7 Which Dordogne caves can be easily seen without advance reservations?
- 8 Ali
- 9 Drinks in Spain
- 10 Viator's Tuscany in one day sightseeing tour
- 11 Gelato course in Rome?
- 12 Second thoughts on Lucerne as base
- 13 Oct '16 Tuscany assistance
- 14 Too much for one day?
- 15 Travel WiFi - France
- 16 Norfolk base
- 17 Lipari to Capri??
- 18 3 Weeks in Italy near Milan
- 19 Iceland Trip report
- 20 Eurorail pass or flights/local trains in Spain plus Lisbon for 21 days
- 21 12 days europe
- 22 Earthquake info for Perugia and Assisi
- 23 Spain Itinerary Help
- 24 RFID Protection
- 25 Arrival day suggestions (South Kensington)