I am going to Europe in a month and would like to spend four days in Austria. I will be leaving from Lucerne, Switzerland and would prefer to take the train versus fly. I will have 4 days total to spend in Austria (including basically one day of travel time) so I'm wondering if I can only pick between Vienna or Salzburg which one you would recommend.
Granted, both are LONG trips from Lucerne which I'm not overly excited about (about 6 hours to Salzburg or 9 to Vienna) but if Vienna is a much better place to stay in then I'm willing to put up with an extra couple of hours on the train. Please let me know what your experiences are of the cities and which one was your favorite .
Vienna or Salzburg
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Romantic France/Italy Countryside tour/itinerary
- 2 All Set To Go!!
- 3 Help! Italy & France and Italy-Two Weeks?
- 4 Condor Long-Haul Business Class
- 5 history museums or locations
- 6 Italy dolomites
- 7 Finally in Italy for the holidays - installment report
- 8 22 year olds in Europe
- 9 Where to get best blue trout in Bavaria?
- 10 Toulouse & Paris Day Trips
- 11 Good times in Munich, the city
- 12 Solo, inexperienced traveler struggling w/ logistics
- 13 Why don't the French use shower curtains
- 14 Airport ATMs
- 15 Sono arrivato a Venezia
- 16 Cylades Island Hopping
- 17 One week in Spain, late May
- 18 Two Weeks in France, reposting TR
- 19 6 additional days starting from Munich in April - recommendations?
- 20 Euro Trivia quiz #17 - People and Places #2
- 21 Day roadtrips from Munich base
- 22 Berlin Prague Vienna Munich
- 23 Paris for a Week – Looking for a Day Trip Outside the City
- 24 Travelling from Paris to Madrid
- 25 Train Travel from Marseilles to Barcelona