Sorry if this is a little long, but I have been trying to do my homework beforehand. I have received much valuable advice from this board and have humbly tried to reciprocate whenever I could - here goes!
After hearing several great things about Valencia, and avidly reading the related trip reports on this forum, we are planning a visit in mid-October of this year. We are very much looking forward to experiencing the many delights it seems to offer !
WHO WE ARE:
Middle age and physically fit couple, interests are museums, art (particularly but not limited to modern and contemporary), music, food!, wine!, architecture, general culture. We are not beach/resort/tour persons.
Fluent in Spanish language, in fact studied it in Spain in another life in both Salamanca and Sevilla (just LOVE both those cities), re-immersion in the language and culture is a big and important part of our Spanish sojourns.
In preparation for this next trip, I would be looking for suggestions and advice in two separate aspects as this will be our first foray into Valencia: (a) lodging and (b) itinerary before and after Valencia.
- Central location, and reasonably quiet at night (I know, this is Spain after all!)
- Preference for something with a kitchenette (not absolutely compulsory)
- Much prefer to have a bathtub, i.e. not shower-only
- In-room safety deposit box, for peace of mind
- Would like to keep it under 110 to 130 euros/night
What we looked at so far:
1- Valenciaflats Catedral: some units seem to have bathtubs, units appear to be small though, no in-room safety box (it looks as if there have been a few rare issues), limited kitchen supplies from what I can tell (glasses, plates, salt, pepper, soap, etc.)
2- Hotel Melia Plaza near the ayuntamiento: Looks quite nice and many people seem to really like it, including some Fodor posters. Superior rooms look onto the plaza, surprisingly quiet but no kitchenette. Looks interesting nonetheless.
3- Spain Select apartments: these look quite nice, are much larger than the Valenciaflats, not sure about in room safety box, or kitchen supplies. Some units have a bathtub. The main potential issue here would appear to be night time noise, as Carrer dells Cavallers is apparently party central - is this in fact the case?
Our current thinking is to arrive in Madrid where we would be spending a few days as we truly love it there, and then heading to Valencia by way of Cuenca (Abstract Art Museum, casas colgadas, cathedral).
Option 1 is to take the AVE to Cuenca and overnight (or 2) there. Is the Parador a good choice? It seems a little dated in the website pictures. Are there better alternatives? NH? or other? From Cuenca, AVE to Valencia.
Option 2 is to rent a car and drive to Cuenca, overnight (or 2) and on to Valencia. This would make sense only if there are other sights/stops of interest along the way. For instance, going into the Sierra de Cuenca to the enchanted city (geological formations, is it worth it? - for info we really enjoyed El Torcal near Antequera), any other worthwhile sights? Guadalajara?
Finally, after Valencia I am trying to get a feel whether it would be worthwhile to drive down the coast a little. For instance, the Ifac Penyal has caught my attention, and there is a Parador in Javea. Should we be aiming further south to Murcia? (this will be mid-October) This is unchartered territory for me, and keeping in mind the above mentioned sought Spanish re-immersion, I would wish to try and avoid any German, British, Russian, American, (insert your favourite nationality here) enclave along the way.
Sorry for the long rambling, but I would be very interested in thoughts, comments and suggestions on the above.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 워커힐경마＼※【KTV200.CoM 】※＼인터넷바카라주소↘라이브카지노
- 2 인터넷스코어＼※【KTV200.CoM 】※＼온라인카지노°안전한놀이터
- 3 Cell Phone Question
- 4 Which is the cheapest country (and gorgeous) in Europe?
- 5 Where to go...one month w/a one year old
- 6 Advice on Sicily & Aeolian Islands
- 7 Planning a solo trip mostly to France, advice please!
- 8 Rome neighborhoods equivalent to arrondissements 6 and 7 in Paris?
- 9 Driving from Spain to Portugal - passport check?
- 10 Campervan in Croatia
- 11 advance tickets?
- 12 English Gardens Itinerary Advice please
- 13 San Francisco retirees would like to move to Paris for a year- crazy idea?
- 14 Connection time of 1:25 in Zurich on flight from US. Enough time?
- 15 Reputable Apartment Company in Granada
- 16 What's the biggest mistake you made on a European trip?
- 17 Como Bus to Bellagio
- 18 Advice for 5 Weeks in the Nordic Countries
- 19 Houses, Gardens & Walking in England
- 20 Neighborhood for Dubrovnik
- 21 Venice > Garda > Verona > Bologna thoughts
- 22 Aix en Provence Day Trips
- 23 Reindeer Migration on NRK
- 24 Greek Islands (small)
- 25 Madrid Hotel; Europa, Preciados or Petit Palace Posada de Peine?