We are finishing our trip of Italy by flying out of Geneva. Everything is booked in Italy but need to sort out plans for Switzerland. We will be taking the train from Florence on May 20, 2014 up to Switzerland. We fly out of Geneva on May 22 at about noon so we have two nights and one full day to spend somewhere in the area.
I am looking for suggestions on itinerary and places to stay. Should we get a hotel in Geneva (wow they seem expensive!) and then take the train to Lausanne or Montreux for the day on the 21st? Or would we be better to continue our train trip on the 20th and stay somewhere outside of Geneva (Lausanne, Montreux or somewhere else) and then just get up early on the 22nd and go to the airport from there?
Also looking for ideas on where/what to do with our full day on the 21st. I realise that we cannot in any way do Switzerland justice in one day and we are not looking for an exhausting day. Maybe a trip up into the mountains (no real interest in spending time in a big city) or to a castle of some kind (I am probably naive to think there are some in the area)?
Thanks so much in advance for all of your advice
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Trip Report: Scotland, Vienna, Prague, and Berlin (May/June 2017)
- 2 Iceland early december visit
- 3 Paris to Italy
- 4 13 Nights Greece, first time, April 2018. HELP
- 5 God Save the Queen?
- 6 London flat rental: the more I research, the more frustrating it becomes
- 7 Spanish Medical Providers
- 8 Mantova, Ravenna, Brisighella, Bologna
- 9 8 Days in Spain
- 10 9 Days in Spain
- 11 Christmas in Dresden 2017
- 12 Pompei, Naples and...Sorrento?
- 13 Train from Polgate to St Pancras
- 14 Itinerary for 5 adults, 3 kids, 2 weeks, & 1 holiday adventure!
- 15 Venice to Zermatt by Train
- 16 Ger’s Italian Trip Report: Padua, Ferrara, Siena, Perugia and Florence
- 17 Milan or Turin
- 18 FRANCE 10 YEARS ON: Paris Dordogne Albi Toulouse Arles S Rhone and Nice
- 19 Barcelona alternative
- 20 Charming movie to watch if you've visited Erice in Sicily
- 21 Requesting feedback on proposed itinerary—London, Cornwall, and Wales, June 2018
- 22 He Musta Saw Us a-Comin': A Brief, Cautionary Tale about Taxis in Rome
- 23 Apple Pay on London Transit
- 24 Frankfurt to UK
- 25 Christmas Markets France/Germany
Two nights near Geneva...suggestions on itinerary and areas to stay?