We are finishing our trip of Italy by flying out of Geneva. Everything is booked in Italy but need to sort out plans for Switzerland. We will be taking the train from Florence on May 20, 2014 up to Switzerland. We fly out of Geneva on May 22 at about noon so we have two nights and one full day to spend somewhere in the area.
I am looking for suggestions on itinerary and places to stay. Should we get a hotel in Geneva (wow they seem expensive!) and then take the train to Lausanne or Montreux for the day on the 21st? Or would we be better to continue our train trip on the 20th and stay somewhere outside of Geneva (Lausanne, Montreux or somewhere else) and then just get up early on the 22nd and go to the airport from there?
Also looking for ideas on where/what to do with our full day on the 21st. I realise that we cannot in any way do Switzerland justice in one day and we are not looking for an exhausting day. Maybe a trip up into the mountains (no real interest in spending time in a big city) or to a castle of some kind (I am probably naive to think there are some in the area)?
Thanks so much in advance for all of your advice
Two nights near Geneva...suggestions on itinerary and areas to stay?
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 6 Days in Italy - all in Rome or divide it between Rome and Florence?
- 2 Back to Provence in 2015
- 3 England in 7 days
- 4 6-Week Europe Itinerary - Thoughts and Suggestions?
- 5 Turkey: 7 - 9 days
- 6 Scotland 4 days / 5 nights - Itinerary ideas?!
- 7 finally, an itinerary that seems ok..but still not sure
- 8 Looking for 5* Beach Resort
- 9 MaiTaiTom's Paris When It Sizzles; Paris When It Fizzles Anniversary Trip
- 10 Dordogne prehistoric sites
- 11 One Week in Amsterdam with Children
- 12 Dordogne lodging
- 13 Bavaria and Tirol for 2 weeks in June
- 14 Rocamaxour
- 15 Dordogne markets
- 16 Hotels and public transport re: Cheltenham Spa
- 17 Itinerary review - Family vacation to Spain
- 18 From Paris to Vaison la romaine
- 19 Need advice for Madrid/ Castilla Leon / Basque / Aveiro
- 20 From Milan Airport to the Last Supper
- 21 So that is why German hotels have such expensive WIFI
- 22 Quiet beach town in Italy?
- 23 Ediburgh lodging - July.
- 24 Best means of travel from Prague to Krakow and Krakow to Budapest
- 25 Paris Apt Locations - Your Opinion on Apts