We are finishing our trip of Italy by flying out of Geneva. Everything is booked in Italy but need to sort out plans for Switzerland. We will be taking the train from Florence on May 20, 2014 up to Switzerland. We fly out of Geneva on May 22 at about noon so we have two nights and one full day to spend somewhere in the area.
I am looking for suggestions on itinerary and places to stay. Should we get a hotel in Geneva (wow they seem expensive!) and then take the train to Lausanne or Montreux for the day on the 21st? Or would we be better to continue our train trip on the 20th and stay somewhere outside of Geneva (Lausanne, Montreux or somewhere else) and then just get up early on the 22nd and go to the airport from there?
Also looking for ideas on where/what to do with our full day on the 21st. I realise that we cannot in any way do Switzerland justice in one day and we are not looking for an exhausting day. Maybe a trip up into the mountains (no real interest in spending time in a big city) or to a castle of some kind (I am probably naive to think there are some in the area)?
Thanks so much in advance for all of your advice
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 One day cruise stop Catania Sicily Trip Report
- 2 Sample European Itinerary for a solo traveler.
- 3 Edinburgh apartment choice, please advise
- 4 Scotland Trip
- 5 Holiday in Austria
- 6 where to visit besides Oslo for 2 days 1 night in mid december
- 7 Bergen/Tromso/Lofoten
- 8 Denied entry to UK; could this give me problems going to Estonia?
- 9 What one thing in Paris?
- 10 Restaurant Booking sites which one to use, if any, in Spain?
- 11 Celebrating Christmas Early...in Vienna!
- 12 Golden sunsets in Tver and Torjor
- 13 An Escape from Turkish Chaos to Everyday Venice
- 14 Snakes on a Plane? Our Thanksgiving in Paris!
- 15 Paris Under Seige...
- 16 Christmas windows of Boulevard Haussmann in Paris 2015
- 17 Cinque Terre day trip in about 3 weeks
- 18 Must be the season of the witch: Nikki's autumn trip to London and Paris
- 19 Italy with my 22 year old son
- 20 Need Help with Locations of Naples Apartments
- 21 Five day Iceland getaway in rainy November
- 22 Visiting Turkey for Fun and Adventure, Oasis or Chaos
- 23 COP 21 transportation disruptions 29-30 November 2015
- 24 Train from Interlaken to Venice
- 25 Restaurant for New Year's Eve in PARIS
Two nights near Geneva...suggestions on itinerary and areas to stay?