We are finishing our trip of Italy by flying out of Geneva. Everything is booked in Italy but need to sort out plans for Switzerland. We will be taking the train from Florence on May 20, 2014 up to Switzerland. We fly out of Geneva on May 22 at about noon so we have two nights and one full day to spend somewhere in the area.
I am looking for suggestions on itinerary and places to stay. Should we get a hotel in Geneva (wow they seem expensive!) and then take the train to Lausanne or Montreux for the day on the 21st? Or would we be better to continue our train trip on the 20th and stay somewhere outside of Geneva (Lausanne, Montreux or somewhere else) and then just get up early on the 22nd and go to the airport from there?
Also looking for ideas on where/what to do with our full day on the 21st. I realise that we cannot in any way do Switzerland justice in one day and we are not looking for an exhausting day. Maybe a trip up into the mountains (no real interest in spending time in a big city) or to a castle of some kind (I am probably naive to think there are some in the area)?
Thanks so much in advance for all of your advice
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 ls there anything such as Spanish cuisine?
- 2 Naples or Genoa
- 3 Rome to Positano
- 4 European countries thst could use some hospitality lessons.
- 5 Sept. 2016 Apt. In Paris just cancelled---YIKES!
- 6 Traveling with medication in bulk
- 7 Sevilla to Cordoba Day Trip: How many hours needed?
- 8 Barcelona attraction tickets
- 9 Swimming in 17th century fountains in Rome
- 10 3 nights in St Petersburg, 3 in Moscow, Private tour vs. Group?
- 11 Germany, May'16: Four seasons in three weeks.
- 12 Interlaken-Lucerne Express 19th July- reservation required??
- 13 Need some suggestions for Andalucia / Barcelona / Madrid starting Dec 25
- 14 France to stop making foie grois
- 15 How big backpack do I need?
- 16 Itinerary help please!
- 17 Laundry - Ireland?
- 18 Prague on a budget...
- 19 Sept Help Needed Hotels & Timing: Budapest, Prague, Berlin, Amsterdam
- 20 Holiday Itinerary
- 21 Itinerary Help!
- 22 Spain in November
- 23 How best to spend a day in Tallinn
- 24 Hotel to Seville train station -- how much time needed
- 25 AVE train tickets questions.
Two nights near Geneva...suggestions on itinerary and areas to stay?