We are finishing our trip of Italy by flying out of Geneva. Everything is booked in Italy but need to sort out plans for Switzerland. We will be taking the train from Florence on May 20, 2014 up to Switzerland. We fly out of Geneva on May 22 at about noon so we have two nights and one full day to spend somewhere in the area.
I am looking for suggestions on itinerary and places to stay. Should we get a hotel in Geneva (wow they seem expensive!) and then take the train to Lausanne or Montreux for the day on the 21st? Or would we be better to continue our train trip on the 20th and stay somewhere outside of Geneva (Lausanne, Montreux or somewhere else) and then just get up early on the 22nd and go to the airport from there?
Also looking for ideas on where/what to do with our full day on the 21st. I realise that we cannot in any way do Switzerland justice in one day and we are not looking for an exhausting day. Maybe a trip up into the mountains (no real interest in spending time in a big city) or to a castle of some kind (I am probably naive to think there are some in the area)?
Thanks so much in advance for all of your advice
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Driving in Corwall-The Nitty Gritty
- 2 2 weeks in Europe - itenerary help
- 3 Krakow Day Trips - Renting a car vs. Taking a tour
- 4 Food in Positano
- 5 Antibes or Villefranche-sur-Mer?
- 6 Ireland hotel questions
- 7 Christmas in London; New Year's in Edinburgh
- 8 Italy
- 9 Credit or debit card or cash in Europe
- 10 Italy Puglia and Le Marche
- 11 3 weeks in Spain
- 12 Paris/Loire Valley than ?
- 13 Emergencies in Ireland
- 14 If you had to choose one......
- 15 How to Pick Up Vatican Tickets
- 16 Airport Transfer from Edinburgh Center to Glasgow Airport
- 17 Which cities are a must in Croatia, Bosnia&Herzegovina and Montenegro?
- 18 EuropeTravel-Trivia Quiz #152
- 19 Suggest Itinerary for 2 Nights in Lake District - Grasmere
- 20 tours/attractions worth paying for in Prague/Vienna/Budapest/Krakow
- 21 Boat hire in Arcachon
- 22 Scotland-Looking for itinerary advice for 9 day trip
- 23 Paris getaway with my daughter hotel ideas
- 24 Edinburgh to Skye
- 25 Railpass or point-to-point tickets
Two nights near Geneva...suggestions on itinerary and areas to stay?