I got so much great information from these forums before my trip to Portugal this past February that I (finally) wanted to post a trip report in case our experiences can be of help to someone else. Our trip itinerary was:
Sat: Arrive in Lisbon
Sun: Day trip to Batalha
Mon: Bus to Evora
Wed: Train to Sintra
Thurs: Sintra, evening train to Lisbon
When we arrived in Lisbon on Saturday, we checked into our hotel, Solar do Castelo, which was right by the Castelo Sao Jorge. They let us check in early, which was much appreciated. Our room was about the size I would expect for a European hotel and had a very nice bathroom. The window overlooked the castle walls, and several peacocks and peahens were out walking along the wall. The neighborhood was very quaint.
We did have a little trouble finding a decent restaurant for lunch. We were pretty hungry, and there wasn't a lot of choice in the immediate area. We ate at a little place that was full of tourists and had pretty gross food, but when you're tired and hungry, you tend to take what's available rather than wandering for something better.
In the afternoon we wanted to do something to shake off the jet lag and keep ourselves awake, so we took a motorcycle tour with Bike My Side, bikemyside.com. Daniel, our guide, was great--very knowledgeable and a safe driver. My friend and I took turns sitting on the back seat and in the sidecar. Daniel took us all over Lisbon, even out to the Jeronimos monastery area, so we got a great overview of the city on our first day.
More to follow!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Help with my southern Spain itinerary please!
- 2 help deciding between 2 itineraries!
- 3 3 weeks italy itinerary
- 4 Ideas for 10 nights in France for 1st timer
- 5 Tips for 2018 Eastern Europe trip
- 6 Italy - 21 Day Itinerary for May, 2018
- 7 Tour Company reviews - European Graduation Trip
- 8 Strasbourg! What to do, what to visit??
- 9 Assist Please: A'dam/Cologne/Mosel Valley/Aachen
- 10 train from Bucharest to Brasov
- 11 First trip to the UK, please help me
- 12 Salamanca Spain - stay in town or nearby?
- 13 Maximizing Relaxation, Minimizing Hassles
- 14 Do I Tip the Maid & How Much, Paris 3* Hotel?
- 15 TRIP REPORT: Paris, Bordeaux, Dordogne, Toulouse, Provence, and more
- 16 Nice/Monaco Train Question
- 17 Individual train tickets instead of passes
- 18 London: Big Ben- Last Call for 4 Years...
- 19 Oy, I need help with this mid Sept U.K. trip!
- 20 Italian Opera-Edinburgh Tattoo-"Great" Houses-Cornwall: Ongoing and FINAL
- 21 base for Andalucia
- 22 Coastal Denmark
- 23 With Gratitude for a Glorious Solo Month in Greece
- 24 How to leave Slovenia for US?
- 25 What to wear visiting England and France during winter?