I got so much great information from these forums before my trip to Portugal this past February that I (finally) wanted to post a trip report in case our experiences can be of help to someone else. Our trip itinerary was:
Sat: Arrive in Lisbon
Sun: Day trip to Batalha
Mon: Bus to Evora
Wed: Train to Sintra
Thurs: Sintra, evening train to Lisbon
When we arrived in Lisbon on Saturday, we checked into our hotel, Solar do Castelo, which was right by the Castelo Sao Jorge. They let us check in early, which was much appreciated. Our room was about the size I would expect for a European hotel and had a very nice bathroom. The window overlooked the castle walls, and several peacocks and peahens were out walking along the wall. The neighborhood was very quaint.
We did have a little trouble finding a decent restaurant for lunch. We were pretty hungry, and there wasn't a lot of choice in the immediate area. We ate at a little place that was full of tourists and had pretty gross food, but when you're tired and hungry, you tend to take what's available rather than wandering for something better.
In the afternoon we wanted to do something to shake off the jet lag and keep ourselves awake, so we took a motorcycle tour with Bike My Side, bikemyside.com. Daniel, our guide, was great--very knowledgeable and a safe driver. My friend and I took turns sitting on the back seat and in the sidecar. Daniel took us all over Lisbon, even out to the Jeronimos monastery area, so we got a great overview of the city on our first day.
More to follow!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Amalfi Coast help
- 2 days and times when museums and suchlike close
- 3 Life on the Farm Draws Some French
- 4 kimhe or others - flamenco rec in Sevilla?
- 5 family holiday Rome&Venice
- 6 Itinerary Help
- 7 Scandinavia in mid-March 2.5 weeks
- 8 House Hunting in France
- 9 http://yoursbetterhealthsolutions.com/tengenix-reviews/
- 10 Itinerary help for first trip to Greece
- 11 Help with Tuscany villa that is a walk to town/restaurants
- 12 Safe to use hotel room safe?
- 13 Tuscany Day Trip Ideas?
- 14 Lyon and Paris (and Provence vs Dijon?)
- 15 Dolomites to Switzerland or Austria? Can't decide!
- 16 If you had to choose one......
- 17 Portugal--Lisbon, Douro, Porto
- 18 Portugal and Spain itinerary help!
- 19 Need help with itinerary & trains
- 20 Ger's Trip to Rome & Bologna
- 21 Scotland better in July or Aug/Sept?
- 22 UK in July -- early planning stages
- 23 Portugal with large family
- 24 Help with out two middle days in Puglia
- 25 Help with Ireland itinerary