I am a new "Forodorite", and am enjoying reading all the great travel info supplied by so many! Love the driving itinerary from StuDudley. I am now suffering from information overload! My husband and I are traveling to Florence the last 2 weeks of May 2013. I thought I had our trip figured out, until I joined Fodor's Travel Forum! After reading all these excellent ideas and thoughts, perhaps we should modify our plans somewhat.
We had planned on 6 nights in Florence (taking a day trip to Lucca during that time), which would give us 4 full days for Florence. Then we drive down to Montalcino, staying for 2 nights. Should we visit Siena as we head down to Montalcino, or should we overnight in Siena? I read that Siena is super packed during the day, but that it should be experienced later in the day and in the evening..... aaarhg! Decisions! Should we stay in Montalcino longer? Is Pienze a better place to stay? We then drive up to San Gimignano for 2 nights; what exploring ideas are there from San Gimi? After San Gimi, we were planning 3 nights in the Cinque Terre (town of Rio Maggiore). Then home . If we cover all that we want in Florence after 3 days, we could obviously do another day trip from there (eg. Siena?) Should we try to see Pisa?
We do not want to spend all our time in the car, charging around the Tuscan countryside trying to see it all; we also want some on-foot town exploring time. The Abbey in Sant'Antimo is a must-see on our list. Zoecat mentioned various towns further south of Pienza - they sound beautiful, but I am afraid that is too much. Just means we'll have to come back! StuDudley - would your friends consider renting out their house - we are neat, clean and do not smoke !
Any ideas and suggestions would be most appreciated! We're in good shape and like to hike and walk .
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Tell me about the metro Dupleix area of Paris
- 2 Italy, Spain and France
- 3 Montpellier - A few questions
- 4 Paris tipping hotel maids
- 5 My summer in Paris
- 6 Do I need a debit/PiIN card in England?
- 7 Return to Paris after 15 Years
- 8 Yay or Nay to these "front of the line" Vatican tours?
- 9 Paris-Best to visit end of October.. or during Christmas time?
- 10 Approx cost of taxi between Sorrento and Positano
- 11 10-day Itinerary Shannon to Southwest and West Ireland
- 12 November in Greece
- 13 Valencia Oct 6-8 Swim in Sea?
- 14 Iphone Charger in a Car in Europe?
- 15 How has Rome changed in last 30 years?
- 16 2 hrs from landing in FCO to FCO direct to Florence
- 17 Trip Report: Sheep Rule. A Week in Scotland
- 18 Tipping culture in Croatia and the Balkans
- 19 Tipping culture in Croatia and the Balkans
- 20 Dingle Slea Head Tour or Coastline Tour
- 21 Four days in London! What are some must-see sights?
- 22 Relaxing in Costa Brava
- 23 Itinerary help for 17 night trip to Spain and France October
- 24 Barcelona with Teens
- 25 Welltravbrit's London Sojourn - An Ongoing Trip Report