I am a new "Forodorite", and am enjoying reading all the great travel info supplied by so many! Love the driving itinerary from StuDudley. I am now suffering from information overload! My husband and I are traveling to Florence the last 2 weeks of May 2013. I thought I had our trip figured out, until I joined Fodor's Travel Forum! After reading all these excellent ideas and thoughts, perhaps we should modify our plans somewhat.
We had planned on 6 nights in Florence (taking a day trip to Lucca during that time), which would give us 4 full days for Florence. Then we drive down to Montalcino, staying for 2 nights. Should we visit Siena as we head down to Montalcino, or should we overnight in Siena? I read that Siena is super packed during the day, but that it should be experienced later in the day and in the evening..... aaarhg! Decisions! Should we stay in Montalcino longer? Is Pienze a better place to stay? We then drive up to San Gimignano for 2 nights; what exploring ideas are there from San Gimi? After San Gimi, we were planning 3 nights in the Cinque Terre (town of Rio Maggiore). Then home . If we cover all that we want in Florence after 3 days, we could obviously do another day trip from there (eg. Siena?) Should we try to see Pisa?
We do not want to spend all our time in the car, charging around the Tuscan countryside trying to see it all; we also want some on-foot town exploring time. The Abbey in Sant'Antimo is a must-see on our list. Zoecat mentioned various towns further south of Pienza - they sound beautiful, but I am afraid that is too much. Just means we'll have to come back! StuDudley - would your friends consider renting out their house - we are neat, clean and do not smoke !
Any ideas and suggestions would be most appreciated! We're in good shape and like to hike and walk .
Traveling to Florence and Tuscany 2 weeks in May
- 1 New to Fodors: Please help with beginning stages of husband/wife trip
- 2 ONE DAY IN PARIS PLEASE HELP!!
- 3 2 Week(ish) Italian Honeymoon Itinerary Help - First Time Europe Travelers
- 4 Advises for trip to Russia
- 5 need good quiet Paris hotel: possible?
- 6 March 2013: Barcelona, Rome and Prague Trip Report
- 7 Alsa Bus between Portugal and Spain
- 8 Planning 4 nights S / SE of London for my parents in their late 60s
- 9 A still, a hooker and a Dodo bird. Paris and Oberkirch.
- 10 Scotland this summer - some initial planning questions
- 11 Naples on Christmas Eve--Beluga Bar or George's?
- 12 Sagrada Familia - which tower?
- 13 Two weeks in Northern Italy - what do you think of our outline?
- 14 First time traveler to Ireland
- 15 Home from Rome - a trip report
- 16 Restaurant reservations Rome, Tuscany, Venice
- 17 Belgium/Holland or Germany: Please help!
- 18 Question-- York & North York Moors
- 19 Prague - must see
- 20 2 weeks in UK to visit my daughter at Queen Mary Univ Dec 15-28 2013
- 21 Spain - Andalucia
- 22 Car in Prague
- 23 Euro Train
- 24 My first visit to Ireland, next year.
- 25 Need info on smoking in Dijon area