I am a new "Forodorite", and am enjoying reading all the great travel info supplied by so many! Love the driving itinerary from StuDudley. I am now suffering from information overload! My husband and I are traveling to Florence the last 2 weeks of May 2013. I thought I had our trip figured out, until I joined Fodor's Travel Forum! After reading all these excellent ideas and thoughts, perhaps we should modify our plans somewhat.
We had planned on 6 nights in Florence (taking a day trip to Lucca during that time), which would give us 4 full days for Florence. Then we drive down to Montalcino, staying for 2 nights. Should we visit Siena as we head down to Montalcino, or should we overnight in Siena? I read that Siena is super packed during the day, but that it should be experienced later in the day and in the evening..... aaarhg! Decisions! Should we stay in Montalcino longer? Is Pienze a better place to stay? We then drive up to San Gimignano for 2 nights; what exploring ideas are there from San Gimi? After San Gimi, we were planning 3 nights in the Cinque Terre (town of Rio Maggiore). Then home . If we cover all that we want in Florence after 3 days, we could obviously do another day trip from there (eg. Siena?) Should we try to see Pisa?
We do not want to spend all our time in the car, charging around the Tuscan countryside trying to see it all; we also want some on-foot town exploring time. The Abbey in Sant'Antimo is a must-see on our list. Zoecat mentioned various towns further south of Pienza - they sound beautiful, but I am afraid that is too much. Just means we'll have to come back! StuDudley - would your friends consider renting out their house - we are neat, clean and do not smoke !
Any ideas and suggestions would be most appreciated! We're in good shape and like to hike and walk .
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Paris hotel and neighborhood help
- 2 Europe Trip 22 year olds
- 3 where to stay (and how long), what to see around Nuremberg
- 4 Help with Duoro Valley
- 5 Help with hotel choice in BRUGES please!!
- 6 5 days in France or Italian Rivera
- 7 Venice Restaurant on Easter Sunday?
- 8 Undiscovered Places in Paris
- 9 York - Time for tea!
- 10 First Zermatt Ski Trip
- 11 Flying with Air France and Alitalia
- 12 16 days loop Venice to Venice
- 13 Touring Wales
- 14 FIRST TIME VISIT TO SWITZERLAND
- 15 Can't we Fodorites be kinder in our responses, especially to new posters?
- 16 Honeymoon Plans London+Paris+??April-May
- 17 Sicily in 4 days
- 18 Cheltenham or Moreton-in-Marsh?
- 19 Seville Hotels - September 2016
- 20 Cordoba or Granada?
- 21 Lake Maggiore, Italy
- 22 14 days in Europe: Paris, Venice, Florence, Cinque Terre, Rome
- 23 Cornwall to Edinburgh in 25 days ????
- 24 Backpack with Infant carrier?
- 25 Planning roundtrip Greece