I'm still not completely sure when I will do this itinerary, but it's likely to be during good weather (IE not winter or late fall, thus it will not be cold and it should stay light until a respectable hour).
I am probably going to fly into Marseille and while there would like to see the Calanques from Cassis (I have another thread on that so I already have ideas there).
I'm thinking that I could do one day trip to Cassis, another day trip to Aix en Provence, and in addition to jet lag day (always shorter, and tired) spend a full day in Marseille. That would be four nights, then.
The day I depart for parts Barcelona I would like to visit Carcassone and Narbonne - a friend who has a home in the Languedoc said that was also worth a visit. If I did visit both of those, I'd likely stay one extra night in France so that I am not driving 5 hours to Barcelona on top of the above stops.
So, that above is 5 nights in France.
The remainder of the trip will probably be 5 nights in Barcelona. Is that enough time to both get a flavor of Barcelona as well as a few local day trips (there are four UNESCO sites in striking distance of Barcelona)?
I might be able to extend my time a few days, but assuming it really is 10 nights total, is that a good mix of days or would you spend less time in Marseille and add that day somewhere else? Would you leave Aix for another trip entirely - one with a longer stay?
Thanks for any thoughts.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 http://menshealthcme.com/alpha-plus/
- 2 Best day trips from Turin, Bologna, Cortona
- 3 Austrian Train Purchase from US
- 4 Maybe your worst nighmare...
- 5 Selecting the right Travel Pass (or not at all)
- 6 Uber vs. TfL
- 7 Berlin
- 8 Greek Village
- 9 No Reservations...our laidback Paris Christmas
- 10 A Trip Report: Springtime in Italy - May 9 to June 2, 2011
- 11 Can you tell me about using "The Fork" for reserving and savings?
- 12 Germany or Sweden
- 13 Ger's Trip to Rome & Bologna
- 14 Italy Trip- Venice, Rome, Florence, Cinque Terre, Amalfi Coast
- 15 Firenze, Venezia, Cruise, Cinque Terre, Nce
- 16 Two days in Rome
- 17 napologetic Napoli, Uncompromising Capri, and Unassuming Amalfi
- 18 We didn't love Florence the way we thought we might
- 19 Our (Somewhat) Laid Back Tour of Old Fave Stops in Italy
- 20 PARIS
- 21 One free day in Barcelona
- 22 Bordeaux: north side parking, then public transport to the center?
- 23 Spain: train/rental car help
- 24 Day trip outside of Dublin
- 25 Which 2 locations on Amalfi Coast?